No announcement yet.

2010 Chicago Cubs Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor has it Lou's got the grumpys. He made some classic-Lou remarks regarding somethings Steve Stone has said(apparently) recently.

Things are heating up....and it's about time, too.

Comment

• And what good is an angry Lou going to do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
        And what good is an angry Lou going to do?
        Maybe he'll get the people who can hit some ABs.

Comment

And what good is an angry Lou going to do?
          He got angry at Steve Stone at a time when Stoney actually gave valid criticism. Not that it mattered today...
          RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

• How was Stone's criticism valid?

Comment

• Well, if Stone said Colvin needs to be in the lineup everyday; I'd say he hasn't got a bad arguement.

But then, If Stone said the Cubs suck; after yesterdays game, he'd have a valid point, too.

Comment

• I dont think Stones arguement is very valid. Not this time.

Not that I dont find Lou clueless, cause he is. But I cant find fault in his handling of young players. If anything the organization has pressured him to "win now" and maybe that has crimped the development of young players. But Steve Stone is NOT the messiah of Chicago baseball.

Boy, losing to the 2010 Whitesox? Now that is shameful.
                "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

How was Stone's criticism valid?
                  Because Colvin needs to be an every day player. I was also unimpressed when he pinch hit Jeff Baker for Colvin the other night. If the kid is going to learn how to be an everyday player, you don't pull him late in the game based on a lefty/righty matchup. The problem with the Cubs is that they are overloaded with outfielders who deserve PT, IMHO. Looking at it that way, it's hard to fault Piniella for the roster he's been given.

Comment

• If your last two sentences are true then Stone's criticism isn't valid.

As for people's belief that Colvin should be an everyday player have people stopped and thought that maybe his numbers are as good as they are because Lou picks and chooses the best time for Colvin to play? The vast majority of his PA have come against right handers and this is just my personal observation but when teams want to get him out or keep him from making contact they can. The guy is hitting something like .565 OPS against relief pitchers.

I think Colvin when it is all said and done is a 4th OF'er which isn't too shabby because the Cubs need a 4th OF'er with some pop from the left side.

Comment

If your last two sentences are true then Stone's criticism isn't valid.
                      That's correct. It depends on how one views Colvin's role on the team.

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                      As for people's belief that Colvin should be an everyday player have people stopped and thought that maybe his numbers are as good as they are because Lou picks and chooses the best time for Colvin to play? The vast majority of his PA have come against right handers and this is just my personal observation but when teams want to get him out or keep him from making contact they can. The guy is hitting something like .565 OPS against relief pitchers.
                      Can you blame their line of thinking? Coming into the season was there any reason to believe Soriano would have the year he's having? For that matter Fukudome hasn't fallen off as much from his quick April starts as in the past, has he? Nady wasn't going to be ready to go, either, so at season start it's no wonder why many people have wanted to see more of Colvin.

Comment

• I can't see why anyone would say that colvin should have gotten more playing time before the season began.

Comment

I can't see why anyone would say that colvin should have gotten more playing time before the season began.
                          You mean being the hottest hitter in spring training wouldn't lead anyone to see what he could do? You seriously believe with Soriano's last 2 years that people wouldn't have been looking for Colvin to take his spot or Fukudome's? Let's not forget that Byrd really started out much better than most would have imagined. If you can't see why anyone would say that, then I'm not quite sure what team you've been watching the past few years.

Comment

• yes I think most people were not saying give colvin the stating spot because of 60 at bats. In fact most people thought putting colvin on the roster was wrong and pointless. Nobody was clamoring to get more playing time until near the end of april.

Comment

• xactly, because he clearly had earned the spot.
                              And he did so by.......playing.

He needs to be in the game, till he proves he isn't able to do the job. Are the cubs so good we can afford to allow a player who's preformed as Colvin has so far, to sit on the bench? Anyone seen our Winning % lately? Or our runs per game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
                                xactly, because he clearly had earned the spot.
                                And he did so by.......playing.

He needs to be in the game, till he proves he isn't able to do the job. Are the cubs so good we can afford to allow a player who's preformed as Colvin has so far, to sit on the bench? Anyone seen our Winning % lately? Or our runs per game?
                                he wasnt getting at bats because the other three outfielders were all doing their jobs quite well. when they were all playing well, its just a fact of life the cheapest option is going to come off the bench.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X