2010 Chicago Cubs Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
    xactly, because he clearly had earned the spot.
    And he did so by.......playing.
    And so did Soriano, Byrd, and Fukudome.

Comment

• HELLO! 1st base....someone not hitting....young, agile batter sitting on the bench....

Ya want more runs? Put the guys who can get them in the game.
      It's not like the cubs have given too many signs they're a winning team with Colvin sitting....

Comment

• Yes the Cubs should have simply put a rookie at first base even though the kid has never played first base in his life. Shouldn't be too hard right? It's only f irst base after all it isn't like we actually care about his development because afterall baseball players are not human beings they are just pixels on a tv screen that we can command at will.

Comment

• The cubs are playing so well, we don't dare take a risk or two to put a few wins on the board?
          Alrighty then.....
          Good luck....

Comment

The cubs are playing so well, we don't dare take a risk or two to put a few wins on the board?
            Alrighty then.....
            Good luck....
            Wow, two weeks sure changed everything.

So your views on handling young inexperienced players is to put them in unknown highly stressful situations and hope they don't fail and setback their development all in the hopes that it puts a few wins on the board?

Colvin has never played first.

Comment

• Once again: do you want to take risks or be content to play below .500 ball?
              We have the 4th worst offense in the NL. What are you waiting on happening to make it better?

Comment

Once again: do you want to take risks or be content to play below .500 ball?
                Carlos Marmol is kind of good we should have him start games. Hey, do you want to take risks or be content to play below .500 ball? You don't simply take risks simply because they are risks. Every single season impacts the next one and the next one and the next one. The slate isn't wiped clean simply because the month turns to January. Colvin is a young rookie who has about 5 million different things to worry about and stress and pressure coming from all sides. He also, at this point, looks to be a valuable player for the Cubs for years to come. You don't jeopardize that by making poorly thought out decisions that can and will impact his development. Sure moving him to first might cause no harm at all and might get a bat into the lineup or it might not. If Colvin has experience at first it could be a defensible decision to make but he doesn't have any experience at first and moving him there is likely to impact his development and that impact would likely be negative.

We have the 4th worst offense in the NL. What are you waiting on happening to make it better?
                I'm waiting on next season this season is lost.

Comment

• Let me see if I understand your program:

GIVE UP.

Anything I missed?

Comment

Let me see if I understand your program:

GIVE UP.

Anything I missed?
                    Yes, my entire "program"

Comment

• I'm curious, I must admit.
                      What does Colvin gain from such a program? Or Lee, for that matter?

Comment

I'm curious, I must admit.
                        What does Colvin gain from such a program? Or Lee, for that matter?
                        What does Colvin gain by playing in the major leagues and having his managers put him in situations in which he has a good chance of being successful? I'd think the gains are obvious.

I'm not sure why I need to care about what Lee gains or doesn't gain by not being benched for Colvin.

Comment

• you dont put rookie players into positions where there is a better than even chance of failing. Colvin is an outfielder. keep him there. The time to look at him at first base was the offseason/preseason. not the middle of the season.

Comment

• If you don't mind that bat on the bench, as our offense continues to drag the bottom, well; you're reaped what you've sown.
                            I just hope if this is really Pinella's plan for the year, I wish he'd come right out and owe up to it.

"No, we're not gonna try that hard to win this season. Why? What would be the point?"

Comment

If you don't mind that bat on the bench, as our offense continues to drag the bottom, well; you're reaped what you've sown.
                              I just hope if this is really Pinella's plan for the year, I wish he'd come right out and owe up to it.

"No, we're not gonna try that hard to win this season. Why? What would be the point?"

And if you don't mind a failed prospect because you destroyed his development, well, you reap what you've sown.

Comment

• Agreed: if this year doesn't matter, there's no point of taking risks.
                                Like I said, I think it would be the worthy thing for someone in cubs management to come right out and say so.
                                "no; this just isn't a season where we're interested in winning. We've got more important things to do with our fans money..."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X