X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowanic
    replied
    Only if it didn't help.
    What a message to send to the people paying to watch these folk....'we know we stink right now, but we're not going to just sit here and live with it. Let's shake things up and see if we can shake some wins loose....nothing else seems to work."

I wonder....has the offense of the cubs improved since Lee's been taken out of it?

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    And throwing Colvin over to first in June isn't going to help the Cubs win today nor is it likely to help them win tomorrow. It is doing something for the sake of doing something.

Leave a comment:

• Iowanic
    replied
    It's a balance: win today or hope to win sometime in the future.
    Just let the fans know where their money is going.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    what did we have to lose by seeing if Colvin could fill the role?
    His development.

Leave a comment:

• Iowanic
    replied
    Judging from our won/loss%; I don't think it'd hurt much.
    Nady can't throw, so that limits where you can put him and Huff isn't a glove-master, so that limits where he can be put. They're firstbase men because they can't play anywhere else.
    The original reason for moving Colvin was Lee not hitting, while Colvin was: let's get the guys who are actually swinging the bats in the lineup. We didn't win with Lee at first base; what did we have to lose by seeing if Colvin could fill the role?

(Note: anyone think we've played better since Lee left?)
    Last edited by Iowanic; 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    I simply disagreed that one could simply treat Colvin like he is some set of pixels in a video game and plunk him down at first base without any regard to his lack of experience there or in the majors overall. Then several people huzzahed when it was announced that Colvin was taking some grounders and then when I mentioned Colvin not playing at first you excused it away by saying the Cubs have Nady and Hoff. Well, the Cubs have always had Nady and Hoff. If Colvin doesn't need to play first on September 5th because of the Cubs have Nady and Hoff then Colvin doesn't need to play first on June 15th because the Cubs have Nady, Hoff, and Lee. There has been absolutely no reason this entire season to throw Colvin over to first.

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    You tell me, you are the one that said Colvin doesn't need to play first base because the Cubs have Nady and Hoff.
    No, Bud. You're the one who has twisted a conversation of how to get Colvin on to the field to get him AB's into something else to suit your own purposes. I'm not going down your road.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    You tell me, you are the one that said Colvin doesn't need to play first base because the Cubs have Nady and Hoff.

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    Were the Iowa Cubs part of some other franchise until just now?
    So what are Hoff's prospects with the Cubs exactly?

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    Were the Iowa Cubs part of some other franchise until just now?

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    They have had Nady and Hoff all seasion long.
    Hoff has been in Iowa.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
    Did you find it interesting the cubs were at least thinking along the same lines as me?
    Not really. I think pretty much everyone thought about it at least once.

As long as Nady and Hoffpauir are available, there's no reason to put him there.
    They have had Nady and Hoff all seasion long.

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    There was a wave at wrigley today.

I apologize.
    Apologize only if you started it, Iowanic!

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    No errors so far.

Did you find it interesting the cubs were at least thinking along the same lines as me?
    My guess is, once they got him out there; they figured fieldingwise, there was no real gain over Nady. Colvin canthrow, Nady notso much. Nady's the better choice at 1st, if he hits.
    Colvin's natural spot is LF.

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    so how is colvin doing at first?
    As long as Nady and Hoffpauir are available, there's no reason to put him there.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X