2010 Chicago Cubs Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
    I believe coach was refering to the cards, not cinci.
    In any case, we sucked big time today. The Phatanator used us for batting practice.
    I suspected Puhols was due to come out of his slump....I just wish he could have waited a day!
    This team does suck, but my point is that the season is only 1/3 of the way done (in months). If they are still struggling to put up runs by the AS break, it's time to trade some vets and get Colvin daily PT.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
      13 games back at the beginning of September didn't mean squat to the 69 Mets.
      but it did mean a lot to all the other teams that couldn't make up the difference. There are way more teams that don't make up 6 game difference than there are teams that do make up the difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
        but it did mean a lot to all the other teams that couldn't make up the difference. There are way more teams that don't make up 6 game difference than there are teams that do make up the difference.
        At this moment, it doesn't matter how far back they are. How far the Mets were behind the Cubs didn't matter to the Mets. They started out the season 18-23. They got swept twice by the Astros mid-season and were in 3rd place (9 1/2 games back) in mid-August. Likewise, it doesn't matter that the Cubs are less than 10 back a month before the AS Break. What matters is that their offense is currently total dog poo. If they don't get that straightened out, it doesn't matter whether they are a few games back or 15 games back.

Comment

• picking the most unique situation in the history of baseball doesn't exactly prove your position.

Comment

picking the most unique situation in the history of baseball doesn't exactly prove your position.
            My position is that their offense is awful and it had better get going or they are done. I have no need to prove any position to someone who believes the sky has already fallen when 2/3rds of the season is yet to be played, but the 1978 race between the Red Sox and Yankees when the Yankees were 14 1/2 games behind the Sox in July would be another fine example. Coming back from less than successful first half of baseball isn't as "unique" as you would like it to be. The 2004 Houston Astros were 44-44 at the AS Break. They had a poor offense and a poor record in 1 run games. Their manager was fired and replaced by Phil Garner. 46-26 the rest of the way. The 2005 Astros were even worse. At one point as a team they were 15 games below .500 (15-30). They subsequently went 42-17 to lead the wildcard race. In July of that year, the team that had went 15-30 to start out had a record of 22-7. The 2009 Cubs are a whopping 4 games under .500. I'll be more inclined to write this team off after June 30. Until then, there is always the possibility of a turnaround. I don't see it happening, but stranger things have obviously happened.

Comment

• 65.6% of all teams that have led the division by june 1st have gone on into the playoffs.

Comment

• These late inning scores wouldn't be so bad if the Cubs could score more than 2 runs once in awhile.

Comment

These late inning scores wouldn't be so bad if the Cubs could score more than 2 runs once in awhile.
                  They've certainly wasted a lot of good starting pitching this year.

Comment

• Which just goes to show you that the whole cliche about "you win with pitching" is bunk.

Comment

Which just goes to show you that the whole cliche about "you win with pitching" is bunk.
                      Even the Atlanta Braves had decent hitting in their run with that great pitching staff. The rule of thumb is that good pitching beats good hitting. The team with the good pitching needs . . . at the very least. . . . "timely" hitting. This team couldn't hit its way out of a paper bag right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                        Even the Atlanta Braves had decent hitting in their run with that great pitching staff. The rule of thumb is that good pitching beats good hitting. The team with the good pitching needs . . . at the very least. . . . "timely" hitting. This team couldn't hit its way out of a paper bag right now.
                        The biggest problem is that this team was constructed around Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez. That worked for years until Lee and Ramirez suddenly stopped hitting this season. It's pretty hard to drive in runs when you simply don't have players on your roster that can do what they did. Keep in mind that the time missed by Aramis last season hurt the Cubs a lot more than Soriano's knee problems. With Lee likely being out the door after this season, it would be a good idea to find a power bat at first base. It doesn't have to be a superstar, but at least someone who could pick up the slack with timely hitting. Hitting is pretty contagious, but so is not hitting. If your big guys aren't getting the hits, you're going to have problems.
                        Last edited by Ace Venom; 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM.
                        RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ace Venom View Post
                          ........With Lee likely being out the door after this season, it would be a good idea to find a power bat at first base. It doesn't have to be a superstar, but at least someone who could pick up the slack with timely hitting. Hitting is pretty contagious, but so is not hitting. If your big guys aren't getting the hits, you're going to have problems.
                          If Lee would get traded to the Angels, that's where Nady would go, IMHO. Long-term perhaps Colvin is a fit at the spot. He's got a big enough reach.

Comment

• Did anyone catch Brenley talking about what a great job Marmol had been doing closing out games before he came into the ballgame last night? I looked at my wife and said, "Bob just jinxed him." LOL. It happened.

Comment

• Yeah, but I still find it hard to blame Marmol, he just has had zero margin for error for such a large part of the season (outside of walking a guy or two). As a whole I think he's done a very good job, but like mentioned earlier, that offense needs to pick things up. Just when I think Ramirez is starting to hit (even if he's not getting actual hits, when he's making at least good contact), he goes back into a slump. He hasn't been able to hold on to anything this season. Lee did get #300 tonight, which was great to see, but he needs to be consistently hitting and getting on base.

Comment

• Pitching with zero margin for error is a closer's job. If you can't throw strikes and put guys on base, there's no one else to blame. But laying blame wasn't my point. The moment reminded me of a football commentator mentioning how solid a kicker has been and then he goes out and misses the potential game winning field goal.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X