Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nightotter
    replied
    Here is my normal yearly process of being a Cub fan. During the offseason my "battery" charges until it is fully charged by opening day and I am filled with hopes of "maybe this year...". As the season goes on the energy in my battery is expended as the Cubs roller coaster, but eventually tank. By the time the season ends, my battery is empty and I am spent.

This year was different. When it started I didn't have my usual deluded fantasies. And by the end of it, I wasn't surprised by the results, everything seemed to happen in the way I felt it would.

Oh well. I think it's going to be another few years before we have a contender. And that depends on how serious the new ownership is willing to take things.

Time to plug in the battery for recharging. Enjoy your winter, friends.

Otto

p.s Mods, you can un-sticky this thread.
    Last edited by nightotter; 10-06-2010, 11:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    I like Quade. At the same time Quade got results when the season no longer mattered. I think he's in the mix, but it doesn't change who I think the top candidates are.

Leave a comment:

• CubbyBear62
    replied
    Although I'm a big Ryno fan I think Mike Quade has earned himself a shot at the helm next season. Finishing up at something like 24-13 under his leadership can't be just a fluke or due to weak competition. I hope Sandberg would understand and accept this. Having him in the farm system and broadening his knowledge of the players there wouldn't be a bad thing for the future anyway. I just hope he wouldn't get poached by another team offering him a major league team. I just think it would be a little foolish to overlook Quade's results.

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
    ...(Feel free to comment)
    Don't mind if I do.

1) Colvin is a fine player, but he doesn't exactly work the count all that well. It would nice if he can improve in that area...
    He probably just needs to have a better plan at the plate and have a better awareness of what pitchers are trying to do to him and what pitches he's likely to see in certain counts. Once he figures that out, he should be top-notch. Lots of potential there. I like him a lot.
    2) Bryd is my faverite player.....be he's quieted down the second half. Were there injuries?
    He probably just ended up around where his career numbers have been. It's like most of the time when a guy starts out slow, he'll heat up at some point in the season to end up somewhere near where his numbers usually are.
    3) We still have pitifully little speed. If we had big bangers all up and down the line-up, we could get away with the lack. But....
    Just wait for more of the farm system to work it's way up and then let's see what we have.

Leave a comment:

• Iowanic
    replied
    Not me: I had loads of fun and can hardly wait for next season.

Leave a comment:

• Ace Venom
    replied
    Another Cubs season has come and gone. It was the first year of the Ricketts era. We've seen the retirement of Lou Piniella. Derrek Lee, Ted Lilly, Ryan Theriot, and Mike Fontenot are no longer Cubs. We had a decent rookie class with Starlin Castro and Tyler Colvin. This was one of those seasons most of us would rather attempt to forget.

Leave a comment:

• Iowanic
    replied
    Now we're beating up on the 'Stros. Talk about ending a season on the right note!

Leave a comment:

• Iowanic
    replied
    Well; we got work to do, I admit. Even during Quadee's turn-about, we've had a couple games where we stunk. a few thoughts(Feel free to comment)

1) Colvin is a fine player, but he doesn't exactly work the count all that well. It would nice if he can improve in that area...
    2) Bryd is my faverite player.....be he's quieted down the second half. Were there injuries?
    3) We still have pitifully little speed. If we had big bangers all up and down the line-up, we could get away with the lack. But....

and finally:
    Can we consider the last series as revenge at last for '84?

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    Young, hungry players. I feel good about where this team will be heading in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Iowanic
    replied
    And the cubbies take 3 of 4 from the padres.
    Do we rock or what?

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    Oh, snap! He certainly isn't leaving any stone unturned. I do think some of the guys on the list are worthy, but some are way out in left field.

Leave a comment:

• Iowanic
    replied
    Yeah, kinda wild, eh? Everytime the phone rings, I expect it to be Hendry.

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    And all the while the managerial candidate list keeps growing.

Leave a comment:

• Iowanic
    replied
    Another good game tonight: we're 13 and 7 since Lou moved on.

Leave a comment:

• The Uncoach
    replied
    When's Nady's contract up?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X