zambrano new setup guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zambrano new setup guy?

seriously, what the heck is up with this move? i know the bullpen in the 8th inning is awful, but making Z the setup man? oh boy!

Can this season possibly get weirder? So who's replacing big Z in the rotation? Or are we going to a 4 man rotation?

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
      Can this season possibly get weirder? So who's replacing big Z in the rotation? Or are we going to a 4 man rotation?
      Carlos was horrible this year. despite nearly leading the league in Ks he got hammered a lot.
      But if I was the manager I would give him some more time(or maybe even 2 minor league starts) to figure it out.

ho does a former ace like him deal with that kind of degradation?
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
        lilly comes back on sunday. thats part of the reason the move was made.

Comment

Aw, I'd forgotten about that!
          I have tommorow off and I shall be listening to the game with much interest...

Comment

The only way this makes sense is if this is some kind of move by Lou and Co. to shake up the team and motivate them. There is no way that Zambrano stays in the pen for a month or more. He's coming back to the rotation and soon.

Comment

The starting pitching still looks solid and the bullpen has been a big problem. Honestly if Big Z wasn't getting paid so much, I'd be more than happy about the move.

Comment

I don't really care for the move. It's no wonder the Cubs haven't won a title in over a century. No one knows what to do with talent. Can anyone honestly tell me that Carlos Silva is better than Carlos Zambrano just based on a handful of starts?
                RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

You have to wonder if the Cubs don't think Zambrano is beginning to break down physically.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

and putting him in the bullpen where he'll pitch on back to back days and sometimes back to back to back days and could sometimes be stuck in the bullpen warming up forever is going to help him physically? If the Cubs thought he was breaking down physically they would go the Pedro route.

Comment

This move certainly smacks of desperation. It probably won't last any longer than an injury or bout of ineffectiveness to any of the 5 starters. I don't really care much, I don't think there is a ton of downside really.

Comment

So I guess I'm the only one that likes this move?

I'm not looking at this as any sort of demotion for Zambrano, but instead of him being the guy who comes in to save what is right now one of the worst bullpens that I've seen in a very long time. They have nobody to bridge that gap between the starter and Marmol, and Zambrano, I feel, can do a very good job at that. With how Silva and Gorzelanny have been pitching, you really can't take either one of them out of the rotation once Lilly is back, and considering you really need someone to boost that bullpen, Zambrano is still a good pitcher and may be perfect for that role, at least for the time being. If Silva or Gorzelanny start playing poorly again, you can put Zambrano back into the rotation with minimal adjustments. Something had to be done about that bullpen and something had to be done about that rotation and trying to fit 6 guys into 5 spots, and this could wind up being the best move.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                          You have to wonder if the Cubs don't think Zambrano is beginning to break down physically.
                          Big Z is a reputed eccentric. Maybe they think he's on the verge of a mental breakdown and want to play him for just a few innings per appearance until he gets his bearings.
                          The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
                          http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

This is all one big message deal by Lou, who BTW knows better then we do that he himself is gone next year.

And he aint going down easy. Moving Zambrano to relief pitching, and Soriano to a 6 inning player, is a clear message that players have to play to their caliber. That and its a message that Hendry screwed him by not getting the right players. Or the new owners screwed him by not getting him a BP. Because your all right. Moving an 18 m a year starting pitcher to the bullpen makes no sense whatsoever. Heck they are only paying their best relif pitcher 2 m this year so why would you make an 18 m a year guy into a reliever?

No! 8 m to 20 m a year is starting pitcher money. Even in bad times to do somthing like this is insane cause you just whittle down the worth of the player when and if you try to peddle him. But in Zambranos case that doesnt matter cause he has a no trade clause, there is no way he would leave, and you would lose a ton even if you found another team to take him. Zambrano has been paid like a top starter in the game but he hasnt performed even close to that level. He hasnt won one post season game out of the five he has started and his Hissy fits on and off the field are stuff of legend. Had he the class and professionalism of a Ted Lilly, or Demp, he'd be much farther along now. And so would the Cubs. Boy, every spring this guy talks about finding God, or finding some new formula to win the Cy Young. He is 30yo now and should have grown up long ago.

As it is he is a 17.875 m a year middle reliever, 7.45 ERA, who is on the verge of fading from discussions of great pitchers in the game. Showing up one game out of two, or three, aint going to cut it any more with Lou.
                            Last edited by Whitesoxnut; 04-24-2010, 07:51 AM.
                            "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X