Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The All-Time Cubs Team

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by moviegeekjan
    Cubs have run through a lot of third basemen since those days. Others (not all "regulars"):

    Shane Andrews
    Carmen Fanzone
    Gary Gaetti
    Leo Gomez
    Billy Grabarkewitz
    Willie Greene
    Dave Hansen
    Lenny Harris
    Richie Hebner
    Tyler Houston
    Terry Hughes
    Garry Jestadt
    Howard Johnson
    Danny Klassen
    Cole Liniak
    Bill Madlock
    Dave Magadan
    Bill Mueller
    Steve Ontiveros
    Len Randle
    Ken Reitz
    Wade Rowdon
    Gary Scott
    Mike Sember
    Tommy Shields
    Chris Snopek
    Chris Stynes
    Todd Zeile
    Ahhh, Gary Scott. The brutal memories of it all.
    I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by CubBlue
      Jesus Christ this is one scary lineup. I think this competes easily with the Yankees' 'best'. Oh, and give me Anson at 1b and Mark Grace would be the first man off the bench, a'la 2004 Todd Hollandsworth
      LF: Babe Ruth
      CF: Mickey Mantle
      RF: Reggie Jackson
      1B: Lou Gehrig
      2B: Tony Lazzeri
      3B: Alex Rodriguez, or if you want to because of playing time Graig Nettles
      SS: Derek Jeter
      C: Yogi Berra
      P: Whitey Ford
      P: David Cone
      P: Roger Clemens
      P: Lefty Gomez
      P: Herb Pennock
      P: Red Ruffing
      P: Mariano Riviera
      P: Dave Righetti

      And I don't even want to think of their subs. . . Mattingly, Dimaggio, Williams, Posada, Rizzuto, Winfield, Meusel, . . .


      Yeah it would be close

      Comment


      • #18
        hmmmm....how bout.....

        jerry morales in cf and keith moreland in rf, didnt see either one those names

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by couldbeadumbass
          How many third baseman have the Cubs had since Ron Santo? Here is a partial list off the top of my head:

          Ron Cey
          Kevin Orie
          Keith Moreland
          Vance Law
          Luis Salazar
          Jose Hernandez
          Aramis Ramirez

          There are alot of holes in this list. Just a bit curious...
          dont forget steve ontiveros and gary scott

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by cubbieinexile
            LF: Babe Ruth
            CF: Mickey Mantle
            RF: Reggie Jackson
            1B: Lou Gehrig
            2B: Tony Lazzeri
            3B: Alex Rodriguez, or if you want to because of playing time Graig Nettles
            SS: Derek Jeter
            C: Yogi Berra
            P: Whitey Ford
            P: David Cone
            P: Roger Clemens
            P: Lefty Gomez
            P: Herb Pennock
            P: Red Ruffing
            P: Mariano Riviera
            P: Dave Righetti

            And I don't even want to think of their subs. . . Mattingly, Dimaggio, Williams, Posada, Rizzuto, Winfield, Meusel, . . .


            Yeah it would be close

            add thurman munson, ron guidry and tommy john too

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by couldbeadumbass
              How many third baseman have the Cubs had since Ron Santo? Here is a partial list off the top of my head:

              Ron Cey
              Kevin Orie
              Keith Moreland
              Vance Law
              Luis Salazar
              Jose Hernandez
              Aramis Ramirez

              There are alot of holes in this list. Just a bit curious...
              There have been roughly 100 third basemen since Ron Santo last played for the Cubs in 1973.

              Just for fun here,here's the list of the top 5 who have played the most games at 3rd since 1973;

              Ron Cey- 518 games
              Steve Ontiveros- 398
              Bill Madlock- 385
              Steve Buechele- 323
              Vance Law- 269

              Source; 2004 Chicago Cubs Media Guide

              Comment


              • #22
                Mad Dog

                I remember Bill Madlock as one of the best 3B in the NL in the early-middle 70s. He had the best batting average of all NL players while he was a Cub. They got him for Jenkins then traded him for Murcer.
                In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Mak Prior

                  Mark Proir should have been on you rlist for pitchers. #-Finger Brown is also the best in history. If not Brown then Root.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

                  "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

                  Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Cubsfan97
                    Mark Proir should have been on you rlist for pitchers.

                    It is hard to add someone who has only played parts of 4 seasons on an "all time" team, on a club with so many players and so much history as the Cubs.

                    As Prior has potential, he will need more then 40 career wins to get on this list.
                    BELIEVE

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by sschirmer
                      Ahhh, Gary Scott. The brutal memories of it all.
                      Also Augie Ojeda played 3rd base 35 times in 2001. Say what you want about him, but i always loved him. He was maybe my favorite "roll player" of all time, if you can even call him that, but he came to the park each day like it was his last. He only had 3 home runs as a Cub, but in my heart, he hit a homer each day!
                      Impossible is Nothing.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I have been a Cubs fan since I was about 6 and love the Cubs almost more than my hometown team the Red Sox. If I had to make an all-time team, it would be like this:

                        1B: Frank Chance
                        2B: Johnny Evers
                        3B: Ron Santo
                        SS: Joe Tinker
                        LF: Billy Williams
                        CF: Hack Wilson
                        RF: Sammy Sosa
                        C: Gabby Hartnett

                        SP: Mordecai Brown
                        SP: Ferguson Jenkins
                        SP: Al Spalding

                        RP: Bruce Sutter

                        I know I'm leaving off people like Anson and Banks but I love the Tinker-Evers-Chance DP combo.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Cubs All-Time Team:

                          1B > Chance / Grace / Grimm
                          2B > Sandberg / Billy Herman / Evers
                          3B > Hack / Santo / English (primarily a SS but played some 3b)
                          SS > Banks / Dahlen / Tinker
                          LF > Williams / Sheckard / Stephenson
                          CF > Wilson / Cuyler / Pafko (Maybe Jimmy Ryan)
                          RF > Sosa / Nicholson / Schulte
                          C > Harnett / Kling / O'Farrell
                          P > Brown / Jenkins / Reulbach/ Griffith / Root / Malone / Sutter or Lee Smith / Vaughn / Big Bill Lee (not the Spaceman) / Warneke / Passeau

                          Yankees Fan Since 1957

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Oh, throw in Phil Caveretta either at 1B, CF, or RF for reserve.

                            Yankees Fan Since 1957

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by CubsHub
                              It is hard to add someone who has only played parts of 4 seasons on an "all time" team, on a club with so many players and so much history as the Cubs.

                              As Prior has potential, he will need more then 40 career wins to get on this list.
                              But its ok for Ramman to put in Al Spalding when he only pitched one season?
                              "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                              -Rogers Hornsby-

                              "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                              -Rogers Hornsby-

                              Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                He also pitched from 1871-1875.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X