Carlos Silva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Silva

Carlos Silva has done it again. He has won his 8th game of the year and is off to the best Cubs' start in the last 100 years. He turned in a fine performance today in which he struck out 5 and only allowed 4 hits and a walk over 7 innings. The one run he allowed in the game helped lower his seasonal ERA to 2.93. In recent years that 2.93 ERA would be outstanding but we are experiencing the year of the pitcher in the NL this year and it doesn't even crack the top ten list. Still though, the 8-0 record leads to some obviously stupendous projections over a full season. How mind-blowingly freakish would be to see Carlos Silva crack the 20 win mark? What would even be odder is that if he does that he is still unlikely to get any votes for the CYA.

When April turned to May there was a lot of talk that Silva was turning back into a pumpkin and some have never bothered to rewrite that story line and still think Carlos is winning because of luck and run support. Carlos in his 11 starts has probably put up 1 or 2 ace like starts, 5 top of the rotation starts, 2 middle of the rotation starts, and 2 starts in which he pitched like a back end/spot starter. In otherwords he is a fabulous #2 pitcher for pretty much any team out there. He has done this by doing two things noticeably better than usual while keeping a third thing at its usual low. Carlos has rasied his K/9 by almost 3 strikeouts and he has reduced his hits/9 by 3 or so as well. His walk rate is steady at his usual low level. Carlos is keeping the ball on the ground and in the yard and that is translating into some really low OPS totals which of course translate into really low run totals. I'll let others look into the pitch F/X data to see if he has changed anything there and I'm sure he did.

Will Carlos keep this up? Obviously he will lose a game eventually but 20 wins is not out of the possibility. If I had to place a line I would say 17-8 and would be hard pressed to pick the over or the under in wins (which is the point, I guess, of a line). He'll have to come back to Earth at some point but I don't think it is going to be the kind of world that is as harsh as 2006 or 2008. With the Cubs in a hole and fool of live arms and big salaries does this mean Silva gets traded before the deadline? I would hope so. Silva is exactly the kind of player that Hendry has never had, the buy low and sell high kind of player. Hopefully Hendry will be smart enough to grab the chips off the table and head to the cashier on this one. Right now he is so far ahead that the only way he can lose money on this is if they offer Carlos an extension or make plans for Silva to be in the rotation next year. You've won Hendry now cash out.

The other side of the coin is of course Milton Bradley. He of .211/.284/.323 fame. Can you imagine what it would be like in Cubdom if he was putting up that line in a Cubs uniform this year? Imagine what the offense would look like with that in the lineup along with Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez.

Silva rox!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
      Silva is exactly the kind of player that Hendry has never had, the buy low and sell high kind of player. Hopefully Hendry will be smart enough to grab the chips off the table and head to the cashier on this one. Right now he is so far ahead that the only way he can lose money on this is if they offer Carlos an extension or make plans for Silva to be in the rotation next year. You've won Hendry now cash out.
      Hendry has to cash this one out and if he does it right, he could net a couple of good prospects as Silva is having a career year.
      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
      Line Drive: .356
      HBP: .342
      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
      Intentional Walk: .176
      Outfield Fly: .035
      Groundball: -.101
      Bunts: -.103
      Infield Fly: -.243
      Strikeout: -.287
      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

It really is a perfect strom gor Hendry. The guy is cheap and only has one more cheap year left on his contract. Didn't cost the Cubs anything and the player is playing great for a long stretch of time.

I say you start taking bids now and you take the best offer before the trade deadline. I don't care if it isn't all that you had hoped for or that it isn't stupendous. You don't hold on to him and you don't wait until the offseason. Pull the trigger and pull it now.

Comment

I'm not even going to get into discussing trading him, I'm just very excited that they were able to get this much for Milton Bradley.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X