Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking forward to 2011

http://www.anothercubsblog.net/2010-...11-part-1.html

Is Cliff Lee realistic if Zambrano and Lilly are both gone?
    Would Soriano to 1st Base be a good move?
    Can we contend?

Because this line-up I like, under the new Manager Ryne Sandberg:

C - Soto
    1B - Soriano
    2B - Fontenot
    SS - Castro
    3B - Ramirez
    LF - Crawford
    CF - Byrd
    RF - Colvin
    SP - Cliff Lee, Ryan Dempster, Randy Wells, Tom Gorzelanny and Carlos Silva
    Last edited by Shawon-o-Meter; 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM.

Cliff Lee might fit if the price was right. He wants a no-trade clause and Jim Hendry has a reputation for giving them. I don't think we could easily dump Zambrano and our biggest priority in my mind would be finding a new power bat for first base.
    RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

Jay Jackson, Jeff Samardzija, Sean Marshall.....Why would they sign any free agent? There should be a really good prospect or 2 for Lilly coming in a trade the next few days, too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
        Jay Jackson, Jeff Samardzija, Sean Marshall.....Why would they sign any free agent? There should be a really good prospect or 2 for Lilly coming in a trade the next few days, too.
        If you could swing Cliff Lee in a free agent splash with your needs, it's not a bad move. Then again, it might be. We're going to need someone to fill the power vacuum created by the loss of Derrek Lee. If we can do that and we get another regular year out of Soriano and Ramirez, things will look much better.

Comment

No way the Cubs are getting rid of Zambrano and if they somehow do get rid of him they are going to eat so much contract that they still won't be ablle to do anything.

The Cubs are already on the hook for 103 million dollars for next year. Plus they have Marmol, Soto, Marshall, Theriot, Fontenot, and Gorzellany getting arbitration which is another 16 to 20 million dollars if they decide to keep them all so you are looking at a Cubs team at about 120 million so far for next year. The Cubs will either have a hole at first base or right field depending on where they slot Colvin and a hole at second base. On the pitching side they will need to shore up the bullpen. Just filling those holes will probably send the Cubs right back to their limit and that is really without any big splash in the market.

As of right now the big FAs are Adam Dunn and Jayson Werth. Werth will probably get overpaid and it is always scary to think about how many years Dunn will get.

It also looks like Hendry isn't goong to do jack before the deadline which is a damn shame.

Comment

There isn't much he really can do. Ted Lilly is the only real movable piece before the trade deadline. Derrek Lee opted to exercise his 10-5 rights, though I have to admit that we wouldn't have gotten anything good for him. 2011 may just be the continuation of a rebuilding of the team as bad contracts get cleared. Of course, if Zambrano, Ramirez and Soriano all have normal seasons next year, then the Cubs will do much better. There's also the fact that the Lou Piniella era will be over, so we can stop seeing some of these questionable lineup decisions.

Comment

We should dump Zambrano no matter how much of the contract we have to eat. The guy is toxic and has lost a good 5 mph off his stuff. He's over.

I'm actually a little enthusiastic about the future if we keep Soto, Castro, Colvin, and Dewitt all healthy and playing together as a regular unit. Ramirez was dogged by injuries the first half of the season, but has rebounded nicely in the second half (so far). I think this year was an aberration for him and he should be fine next year. Soriano also has some life left in him, but less so. Byrd should be fine and was a great pick-up. So, we would still need either a first baseman (preferably a lefty) or another outfielder (if Soriano makes the move to first).

That leaves pitching and I'm far less enthusiatic about our future there. Dempster, Gorzelanny, Wells and Silva? With Samardzija for back up? Yikes! (And can anyone tell me why we picked up the ancient Bob Howry?) We need help here.

Comment

At this rate, I'd rather looking forward to 2012.

Comment

At this rate it is looking like 2014.

Comment

It really seems like it's going to take a long time to roll this whole thing over with bad contracts, etc.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X