Lilly and Theriot trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilly and Theriot trade

So was it worth it to get a 2B in return and a projected (potential) #3 pitcher? Obviously this could end up working out in the future, but these were 2 really good character guys we're losing. Thoughts?

At first glance, I think we got the worst of this deal(In terms of play on the field). But then; I guess we had to do something.

Bye, Ted and Ryan. Your efforts were appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
      So was it worth it to get a 2B in return and a projected (potential) #3 pitcher? Obviously this could end up working out in the future, but these were 2 really good character guys we're losing. Thoughts?
      character is all nice and good, but theriot regressed and he wasnt getting any younger. he had to go.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
        Character doesn't win ball games. I like Ryan and enjoyed watching his contributions for LSU and the Cubs, but his skills are regressing. They were going to try to deal him anyway and he just happened to be packaged with Ted Lilly. There was rumor that Fontenot was going to be traded, but he may still be put on waivers. Who knows?
        RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

The only way we could have gotten the worst of the deal is if Blake DeWitt is infectec with some kind of Resident Evil-like virus. Lilly was gone after this year and we are so far out of it that a handful of okay starts from Lilly wouldn't change that. Theriot was a nice player for us for a number of years but he was over 30 and heading into his final year of arbitration whereas Blake DeWitt is much younger than Theriot, still hasn't hit arbitration, and is at least as good as Theriot. Basically Castro and DeWitt will continue the dynasty of cheap middle infielders for the Cubs which is huge since all that money they don't have to spend for starting SS and 2B can go to other positions. Having Colvin, Castro, DeWitt, and Soto all starting and all being cheap gives the Cubs a huge help in the payroll department and allows the Cusb to make moves in the future. As for the prospects I think we'll see at least one of them in the bigs in a year or two which is always a nice pick up for basically what amounts to a zero cost to obtain that chance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Theriot have a nice little August with the Dodgers. He is a streaky hitter and the last two weeks or so he has been red hot but he has slumped so badly that nobody really noticed.

Comment

The way you stated that makes sense.

Comment

I agree, DeWitt is younger and, at the time of the trade looked much like Ryan Theriot, just younger and with more potential. Since the trade that part's looked great. With Lilly, we got a solid young arm who can be a good middle rotation type of guy in the future. Like said, Lilly was probably going to be gone after this year anyway. If he would've wanted to stay here so bad then he'll sign back here (assuming the Cubs show interest) this offseason, which I don't see happening.

Comment

Bump for spring training and how it's all looking now.

Comment

So far so good....wish we could have found some way to Keep Lilly...

Comment

So is Dewitt gonna hit better than the Riot? I see they are practicing his glove work, etc. I didn't think we traded Theriot away to get a platoon guy at 2B. Hopefully, he can get squared away in the next few weeks of Spring Training.

Comment

Overall, just looking at their stats from prior seasons I don't see all that much diff.

Comment

Good writeup here about what's going on at second.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5185205.story

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X