Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Mike Quade be given the reins for next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Mike Quade be given the reins for next year?

I'm very pleasantly surprised at how the Cubs have responded under Mike Quade's (short) tenure. He could probably be hired at a bargain basement salary for the 2011 season (compared to more established managerial names). Should he be given a shot, or is it too soon to tell? Actually, I think it's probably still a little early to know what kind of long term effect he would have on the team, but I'm greatly encouraged so far. I confess I don't know too much about the guy. Who can help fill me in a little?

He has a team playing against other September callups.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
      He has a team playing against other September callups.
      I recognize that he isn't leading a team down the stretch to a playoff berth or anything, but I do think he has had a positive influence and the team seems more relaxed. That may be due to having no expectations left for the year and the competition might be watered down, but the Cubs have their own September call-ups playing too. I guess my main question would be whether it would be prudent for the Cubs to splash out some cash on a manager with an extensive MLB track record for next year ... or let Mike Quade stick around and perhaps develop a few youngsters. I know that sounds ominously like "rebuilding year", but do we really have the talent to compete for the league lead? So ... should we keep it on the cheap and see if guys like Castro, Colvin, Barney, Szamardjia, etc. can give consistent results over a full season, or do we hire a proven big league manager and make some moves in free agency that will create a demand for immediate results? We've all been on this merry-go-round countless times before. I hate to say it, but I would encourage a move toward youth and if Mike Quade works well with the youngsters we might as well keep him running the show.

Comment

Sandberg isn't a "proven big league manager." Neither is Pat Listach. Both are good candidates for the opening. You're not going to sign a manager to a 1 year contract to develop some players. Further, Girardi's contract with the Yankees is up this year. This team isn't in "immediate win" mode next year, no matter who takes that job. There aren't going to be big free agent signings by the Cubs for quite a while. That's part of the benefit of rebuilding the farm system properly. Whoever takes that job is the person they think can hold the job for many years, like a Torre in NY or a Cox in Atlanta, LaRussa in St Louis. Is Quade that kind of guy?

Comment

Sandberg isn't a "proven big league manager." Neither is Pat Listach. Both are good candidates for the opening. You're not going to sign a manager to a 1 year contract to develop some players. Further, Girardi's contract with the Yankees is up this year. This team isn't in "immediate win" mode next year, no matter who takes that job. There aren't going to be big free agent signings by the Cubs for quite a while. That's part of the benefit of rebuilding the farm system properly. Whoever takes that job is the person they think can hold the job for many years, like a Torre in NY or a Cox in Atlanta, LaRussa in St Louis. Is Quade that kind of guy?
          he could be. I'd take Quade over Listach for sure. And I'd say its a push between Sandberg and Quade. Its going to take big bucks to get girardi back to the cubs, is he worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
            he could be. I'd take Quade over Listach for sure. And I'd say its a push between Sandberg and Quade. Its going to take big bucks to get girardi back to the cubs, is he worth it?
            I don't know. I'm not the one cutting the paychecks for the Cubs. Is winning a World Series worth it? You'd have to ask Girardi. He's the one with a Championship ring.

Comment

I don't know. I'm not the one cutting the paychecks for the Cubs. Is winning a World Series worth it? You'd have to ask Girardi. He's the one with a Championship ring.
              but is next years roster a championship caliber roster? Or even the year after that?

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                but is next years roster a championship caliber roster? Or even the year after that?
                Revamping the scouting department and minor league system was not an overnight process. Why would the Cubs organization look at only 2 years worth of rosters, if hiring a manager for the long haul is their plan?

Comment

Sandberg will be the manager. He has to be. Toronto and Seattle want him. If Sandberg goes to one of those teams, and wins, Wrigley will be burned to the ground. Plain and simple.
                  I personally dont know if Sandberg is the right manager, I certainly dont think hes the worst, but if he were to win somewhere else, every average Cubs fan would be going to Wrigley pitchforks in hand.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

I'm a cub fan; have been for near 40 years. Ryno decides to go somewhere else to get a better deal, good for him.
                    I have no intention of burning wrigley down due to some choice of manager. If cubs fans did; we'd be burning the place down a couple times each decade.
                    Ryno's waited for the post and there's something to be said for rewarding all he's done for the cubs.
                    But Quadee's actually won at the major-league level. I think that deserves being rewarded as well.

Comment

I kind of liked the idea of having a pitchfork in hand.

Comment

I think you need a permit for that in Chicago....

Comment

You need a permit for everything else, so why not pitchforks.

Comment

But you have to have a background check and take a safety course as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
                              But you have to have a background check and take a safety course as well.
                              So the only people who will have pitchforks will be the criminals!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X