Ron Santo passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Santo passed away

I don't know what I'm going to do listening to the radio broadcasts now. I don't really know any other voice. On a more important note, what a memorable person and good guy from all accounts. My condolences to Ron Santo's family.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1699814.story

My heart is broken. What's left of it, goes out to his family and all Cub fans. We loved him.

Comment

My condolences to all of the Cubs fans who heard their own joy and pain expressed in his announcing during Cubs games. I might make fun of homers, but they do tend to connect with fans on a more emotional level.
      The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
      http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

yeah I gotta admit even tho Im a Sox fan I always liked listening to him on the radio.
        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

As soon as I hit my alarm button this morning my father sent the text in to me to let me know about it. I can't say that I haven't fought back tears at all today, losing a guy like Ron was something that I did not want to hear. I had, and still have (even more now) some feeling that his next run with the veterans committee will be his vote to get him in there. However, it's lost a lot of its meaning now that he won't be there to see it. Hearing Johnny Bench's stupid remarks on the radio didn't help (not exact, but "if the writers didn't vote him in, then why should we?" Why do you even get a vote then? Bad enough that I lost a baseball icon today, had to lose all respect for a current hall of famer as well because I never realized their lack of intelligence before?).

Either way, on to the important part, I never got to see him play as a player. In fact, I wasn't born until shortly after he retired. However, I do remember when he came into the booth for the Cubs, vaguely, but I still remember it. I was only 7 at the time, so forgive me. However, his passion and love for the Cubs is something that goes beyond anything that I have ever seen. He truly loved the team like nobody before him has, nor will anybody after him. He was a true fan, no matter what. He wore his heart on his sleeve, which is something a lot of us Cubs fans (as well as fans from every other team) can really learn from. He treated the players with a high amount of respect while still not being afraid to call them out on their mistakes. He simply was not only the best third baseman that the team has seen, he was their best fan.

Comment

I'll always picture Ron Santo jumping up and clicking his heels after a Cubs win. The other teams didn't like it and thought it verged on "taunting", but they missed the point. It was a genuine (at first, a little forced later) outpouring of exuberance for the team that he loved and fought so hard for. It wasn't about beating the other team ... it was about winning! Overcoming the odds, persevering, hanging tough, squeaking one out ... whatever you wanted to call it, the Cubs win! Hey Hey!! Let's play two! I couldn't imagine growing up with any better role models than the Cubs of the late 60's and early 70's. They never won anything except the hearts of millions. I think everyone would dearly love to see Ron be able to jump up and click his heels again in heaven. He was a winner.

Comment

He was one of my childhood Heros. Both him and Ernie. I'll sure miss him.
              "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X