CUB signings in past years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUB signings in past years

is it just me or do the cubs always get over the hill power hitters who usually never pan out well for em, I dont think Carlos pena is a good choice for em but I guess its only a 1 year contract. I would have to say the only one they ever got that you could say did well for em was Dawson. Im not trying to make fun of the cubs but im surprised they didnt try something different this year instead of going for the over the hill power hitter who usually never works out for em.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

My guess is they are simply looking for a decent stop-gap, as they are looking forward to loading the team from the farm system. It's a completely different philosophy than they had before.

Comment

I'm actually heartened that they offered Pena only a one year deal. (Although he won't likely be worth the $10 million pricetag.) It really does appear to be a stop-gap. I just hope I won't be disheartened at this time next year when they sign him to a 5 year $75 million contract after hitting .235 with 30 homers and 95 RBI's or something in 2011. Do they have a good first baseman with decent power potential in the farm system? I sure hope so. I like the recent products that we have been generating (Soto, Castro, Colvin, etc.) Now some quality pitching please! (Without the Zambrano emotional roller-coaster side show.)

Comment

After this season the Cubs have something like 70 million coming off the books and Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols will be free agents.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Cubs are saving up for something nice. Also, how is Pena over the hill? He's what? 32? That's far from over the hill. Maybe he's old in basketball years, but as far as baseball goes he's not old at all. He had a bad year last year at the plate as far as average goes, but I think he can still manage to hit around .240 while driving in a ton of runs and hitting a lot of home runs. No, it's not ideal, but given that he's one of the better defensive first basemen in the league, I just can't hate a 1 year deal for him. It's not like they paid an extra $4 million per year with another few years for a guy without any defense, but who can hit about 30 points better for average.

Comment

Originally posted by Mild Sauce View Post
            Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Cubs are saving up for something nice.
            A bigger dividend check for the owners? There isn't much out there next year. Pujols would be great and all and fortunately the big boys like Boston and NYY have their first basemen but there will still be a bunch of players for him.

Comment

Maybe I'm just low on this past class, but next year's free agent class looks better to me than this past year's.

Comment

Besides Pujols who are these free agents that the Cubs should go after next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                  Besides Pujols who are these free agents that the Cubs should go after next year?
                  Anybody who will be a flop and keep the myth of the goat curse alive!

Comment

Before I say anything else, saying "Other than Pujols" is kinda loading the question right there.

EDIT:

I'll go ahead and name some free agents for next year:

Josh Bard
                    Yadier Molina
                    Edwin Encarnacion
                    Prince Fielder
                    Clint Barmes
                    Robinson Cano
                    Omar Infante
                    Yuniesky Betancourt
                    JJ Hardy
                    Jose Reyes
                    Jimmy Rollins
                    Wilson Betemit
                    Aramis Ramirez (unless you're talking non-Cubs)
                    Jose Bautista
                    Jack Cust
                    Carlos Beltran
                    Nate McLouth
                    Cody Ross
                    Grady Sizemore
                    Michael Cuddyer
                    Jeff Francoeur
                    Jason Kubel
                    David Ortiz
                    Mark Buehrle
                    Chris Carpenter
                    Ryan Dempster
                    Zach Duke
                    Jon Garland
                    Rich Harden
                    Scott Kazmir
                    Gil Meche
                    Roy Oswalt
                    Vincente Padilla
                    Brad Penny
                    CC Sabathia
                    Adam Wainwright
                    Heath Bell
                    Matt Capps
                    Jonathan Broxton
                    Francisco Cordero
                    Jonathan Papelbon
                    Francisco Rodriguez

There's also a bunch of non-closer bullpen guys I could mention, but I'll stop there. Some of those guys do depend on options, but it's probably about 10-15% of the guys I mentioned there.
                    Last edited by Mild Sauce; 01-15-2011, 01:20 AM.

Comment

So those are the guys the Cubs should go after? Josh Bard and Omar Infante?

Comment

No, I'm saying that it's a better free agent class than this year, and many of those guys I'd love to see the Cubs go after. Simply backing up my statement from before that next year's class looks better than this year's class.

Comment

And I'll say it again, outside of Pujols there isn't much out there.

Comment

I would take a shot at Jose Reyes (if he's willing to move to 2B again) for a few years and Grady Sizemore on a 1-2 year with a decent base salary with incentives (hopefully he can shake off that injury bug and either play CF or RF - while Brett Jackson plays the other) if these guys aren't going ask for a lot... But again, Cubs will have about 40 million or so coming off the books and gonna have to replace A Ram/Pena/Dempster/etc...

Cano would be nice, but Yankees aren't letting him go. It's almost a given that A Ram has to resign cuz there's nothing at 3B and Pena isn't a bad option to resign if he bounce back this year (cuz it's Fielder or Pujols and both will ask a TON of $$$ that I rather have Cubs sign 2- $12 mil/yr guys instead for one of Fielder/Pujols). Wainwright is about the only pitcher that is a better pitcher than Dempster on that list (CC doesn't count cuz so far, he said he's not opting out) while Carpenter and Oswalt are on the same level but they got things going against them.

It's really bad timing for the Cubs. Just when most of these players are ending their contracts and been productive for the Cubs, there's not much out there in FA that they can get a lot younger and be a contender for several years. Cubs need their farm system to really step it up so they can have several cheap players on the roster and then when the contracts run out and if there's a good FA class in 2 or 3 years, just reload and go for it... Or slowly add an impact player or 2 for the next 2-3 years...
                            Last edited by The Splendid Splinter; 01-15-2011, 05:44 PM.
                            "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
                            Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                            Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                            Bo Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                              And I'll say it again, outside of Pujols there isn't much out there.
                              What about this year's group makes it better than next years? Also, saying outside of Pujols doesn't matter since as of right now he's still a free agent next summer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X