No announcement yet.

CUB signings in past years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have I argued that this offseason is better or it isn't? What I have said in the past, in other threads, is that it is silly for the Cubs to wait until after they clear payroll to sign players. They should be signing players as they become available and simply budget their contracts so that the bulk of it comes due when the payroll has been freed up.

Comment

It started when I said that next year's group looks better than this year's group and you put up an argument against it.

Comment

Yes, and . . . . . .

Comment

and that's the whole point you were trying to make, and it didn't work. I don't know what you're trying to do at this point other than deflect your own argument.

Comment

No, that wasn't my whole point.

Would players from this offseason help the Cubs win games now and in the future? Besides Pujols is there much out there next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
              Besides Pujols who are these free agents that the Cubs should go after next year?
              That's your exact response that led to what we've been discussing. That was your whole point that I was responding to. It was preceded by me saying "Maybe I'm just low on this past class, but next year's free agent class looks better to me than this past year's." So yes, it's the whole point you were making that I was responding to. I wasn't talking about just the Cubs when I had said that, I was talking about the free agent class as a whole, and next year's is a better looking free agent class.

Comment

A question asked is not a point.

Comment

A bigger dividend check for the owners? There isn't much out there next year. Pujols would be great and all and fortunately the big boys like Boston and NYY have their first basemen but there will still be a bunch of players for him.
                  My bad, this was the one I meant to quote. Mainly the second sentence.

Comment

And there isn't.

Which option is better, picking players from two FA classes including from a FA class in which you know who is a FA or waiting another year for one FA class, of which you don't who will or will not be a FA?

Comment

And there isn't.

Which option is better, picking players from two FA classes including from a FA class in which you know who is a FA or waiting another year for one FA class, of which you don't who will or will not be a FA?
                      The best option is C) developing within to save from bloated contracts. As far as comping between the two free agency classes, next years is a B/ A-, while 2011 was a C/C+ at best when it started. The majority of free agents to be don't sign in season deals due to their decreased worth as compared to the open market.
                      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                      Line Drive: .356
                      HBP: .342
                      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                      Intentional Walk: .176
                      Outfield Fly: .035
                      Groundball: -.101
                      Bunts: -.103
                      Infield Fly: -.243
                      Strikeout: -.287
                      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                        The best option is C) developing within to save from bloated contracts. As far as comping between the two free agency classes, next years is a B/ A-, while 2011 was a C/C+ at best when it started. The majority of free agents to be don't sign in season deals due to their decreased worth as compared to the open market.
                        It really doesn't matter what the majority do. If Pujols signs an extension then he is off the market and that is huge. If Pujols gets traded and part of that trade gets an extension he is off the market. Same goes with Fielder. Same goes with any player.

Comment

And there isn't.

You can't say the other way though when anyone can really be extended. For all we know only a few players get extended, or almost everyone gets extended. Either way, the group for next year looks better right now than this past year's.

Comment

Who are these players next year that are so good that the Cubs should do nothing this year?

Comment

When did I ever say the Cubs shouldn't do anything this past offseason?

Comment

Considering this debate is close to 3 months old with responses taking a week to a month to come I can understand how you might not remember your opening remark which starts with "Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Cubs are saving up for something nice."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X