Cubs get the 9th pick in the draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs get the 9th pick in the draft

The Cubs look to be getting the 9th pick in the June draft this year. This will be the Cubs highest pick since 2007 when they drafted Vitters as the third pick.

Cubs' history of picking within the top ten hasn't been so rosy.

Vitters
    Harvey
    Prior
    Montanez
    Patterson
    Garland
    Wood
    Kieschnick
    Cunningham
    Griffin
    Harkey
    May
    Hall
    Dunston (#1)
    Carter
    Segelke
    Rosinski
    Thompson
    Hughes
    Burk
    James

This will be the Cubs third 9th overall pick. With the other two picks they selected Ty Griffin and Derek May. Bypassing Robin Ventura, Tino Martinez, Royce Clayton, Brian Jordan, and Alex Fernandez.

Ugh... I was looking at the Cubs 1st round picks in history on Baseball Reference...

Just look at this (since 1965)... 56 matching player(s). 32 played in the majors (57%). Total of 166.0 WAR, or 5.2 per major leaguer.

That's with I think 4 or 5 guys still in the system right now but still... Only 3 guys has more than 20 WAR in their career, and 2 of them did it with other teams (Wood/Garland/Palmeiro) and account for 113.3 out of 166 WAR so without those 3, that WAR goes down to 1.65 per major leaguer. I wonder where Cubs rank compare to other teams in this... That's just horrible.
    "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
    Bo Jackson

Comment

Well I decided to check out every team's 1st round picks in history... I'll exclude Diamondbacks, Rays, Rockies, Marlins from this (since they were added to MLB last)

Here are the average of the other 26 teams... 55 matching players/32.7 played in the majors (59.5%)/Total of 260.4 WAR, or 7.96 per major leaguer

Cubs were 2nd lowest in total WAR (166) to the Tigers (164.8) and also 3rd lowest WAR per leaguer with 5.1875 (Giants had 5.03, but had 45 major leaguers- the highest and 2nd highest % with 69%. Tigers had 5.15)

So I think it's safe to say that Cubs have had some horrible luck with 1st round picks...
      Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
      Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
      Bo Jackson

Comment

I would use the word horrible to describe it but I wouldn't call it luck.

Comment

Ugh, not good at all. They've drafted some talented guys (like Prior and Wood), but almost none of them have panned out for one reason or another. It's time to change that luck....I hope.

Comment

Putting Vitters on the list of not so rosy Top Ten is very premature. In his fourth full professional season, he's starting off in AA and is still 21 and has steadily progressed yearly. This year the system's developmental department thinks it's his breakout year and it could allow the club to decline Aramis' option at season's end. At the time of the draft, the Cubs were going to go with Mike Moustakas (Royals) if he was available but the Royals took him on and his draft demands (they were looking hard at Vitters due to his easier signability) the other draftee the Cubs looked at hard was Jarrod Parker (Dbacks) before backing off at him at the last minute.
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

It isn't a list of not so rosy top ten picks it is a list of the Cubs entire history of top ten picks. But I will say I find it unlikely that Vitters is going to breakout of anything any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                At the time of the draft, the Cubs were going to go with Mike Moustakas (Royals) if he was available but the Royals took him on and his draft demands (they were looking hard at Vitters due to his easier signability) the other draftee the Cubs looked at hard was Jarrod Parker (Dbacks) before backing off at him at the last minute.
                Wieters went 2 picks after Vitters, Madison Bumgarner went 7 picks later, and the best of all... Jason FREAKIN' Heyward went 11 picks after Vitters.

This is coming from a guy who still thinks Vitters is going to be a solid MLB player and should have a breakout season this year (only if Cubs leave him at AA all year long and not promote him after a little hot streak)... Heck even if he stays in the minors for 2 more years after this one, he'll still only be 23 then.
                Bo Jackson

Bo Jackson

Bo Jackson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X