• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st base....

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...k_chc&c_id=chc

I told ya so....

What did you tell us?

Comment

See the cubs 2010 seaon thread.....about Colvin getting time at 1st...

Comment

And what did you tell us in that thread?

Comment

To actually take the time to read certain threads rather then insist others explain it for them.

Comment

I've read them and I don't recall you saying that in a thread. In the future if you say this again you will then be correct. But I'm not sure how Colvin playing first base in spring training means you told us so on reading threads instead of having others explain them. It doesn't really compute.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
              If Lee would get traded to the Angels, that's where Nady would go, IMHO. Long-term perhaps Colvin is a fit at the spot. He's got a big enough reach.
              Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
              HELLO! 1st base....someone not hitting....young, agile batter sitting on the bench....

Ya want more runs? Put the guys who can get them in the game.
              It's not like the cubs have given too many signs they're a winning team with Colvin sitting....
              Pardon me. Looks like I started it all!

I like the idea of him being a potential backup this year. More ABs and the outfield is perhaps still a bit clogged.

Comment

Except neither one of you had this as a plan. Both of you wanted to just throw Colvin over to first base in the middle of the season with no preparation and while he was still fighting for a place on the team. I was the one who kept on saying that you have to prepare Colvin to play first base and that you can't treat him like a 1986 video game.

As of right now the plan is that Colvin is the 3rd string first base option. Basically if a long term injury happens to Pena or if Baker totally bombs out or if Soriano and Fukudome stay hot and healthy while Pena struggles, Baker sucks and Colvin is hot then Colvin will get some playing time at first base.

If those things don't happen I would guess that Colvin sees somewhere around 0-10 games worth of PA at first base this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                  Except neither one of you had this as a plan. Both of you wanted to just throw Colvin over to first base in the middle of the season with no preparation and while he was still fighting for a place on the team. I was the one who kept on saying that you have to prepare Colvin to play first base and that you can't treat him like a 1986 video game.
                  The Cubs weren't going anywhere last year. The kid should have had more ABs. Your plan was great. According to you, he should have just been planted on the bench all year long.

Comment

According to me that wasn't the plan.

Comment

I don't care what "the plan" is. I'm interested in what "your plan" was for Colvin. "Your plan" didn't get the job done, because you didn't have one.

Comment

That makes no sense. Did Colvin quit baseball? Did the Cubs fire him? Colvin got plenty of playing time without playing a single inning at first base last year.

According to your logic your plan was one big gigantic fail since it never happened.

Comment

Perhaps 'hasn't happened yet' might be more accurate....

Colvin is not likely to be anything but a back-up emergency-only 1st baseman.....
                          I just found it interesting that when the cubs looked up and down their roster for someone to fill that admittedly small role; they saw the same person I did: Colvin.
                          I stand by remendation of using Colvin in place of Lee last season, though. Judging from the result(And the fact The cubs started winning AFTER Lee was traded) it couldn't have hurt.

Comment

Logically that doesn't make sense. If the Cubs are winning then quite obviously putting Colvin at first could hurt the Cubs in that they could lose instead of win. Now if they lost every single game or had a pretty low winning percentage in those games then one could say that moving Colvin to first could possibly, maybe, not hurt the Cubs. But winning or losing is meaningless if we are talking about Colvin's development. Simply throwing Colvin over to first without any preparation can hurt his development and the Cubs didn't do that. What the Cubs did do is have Colvin start working out a bit at first base during spring training. He is being prepared to play first base in a major league game during the proper time and not being simply thrown over there like you guys wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                              Logically that doesn't make sense. If the Cubs are winning then quite obviously putting Colvin at first could hurt the Cubs in that they could lose instead of win. Now if they lost every single game or had a pretty low winning percentage in those games then one could say that moving Colvin to first could possibly, maybe, not hurt the Cubs. But winning or losing is meaningless if we are talking about Colvin's development. Simply throwing Colvin over to first without any preparation can hurt his development and the Cubs didn't do that. What the Cubs did do is have Colvin start working out a bit at first base during spring training. He is being prepared to play first base in a major league game during the proper time and not being simply thrown over there like you guys wanted.
                              There is no sport where one develops more by sitting on the bench. It's a pretty simple concept. If you aren't up at the plate, you aren't hitting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X