The Catching Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Catching Situation

Looks like Castillo is making the catching/roster decisions interesting. Not only is he hitting the snot out of the ball, but he's supposedly got a nice, strong arm on him. Where did he come from?

It is a nice hitting stretch but he is going back down and he won't be back up unless there are some injuries or he continues to hit the snot out of the ball for a few months and Soto is struggling. If Soto and Hill stay healthy I don't see him coming back up again until September. I see him at best as a back up catcher in a year or two.

I think the real situation we have is at second base were Theriot Jr is failing and now apparently the team is even questioning his defensive abilities. Granted DeWitt wasn't really the answer but I don't think a Barney/Baker combo is closer to the answer. With each passing day I become more and more convinced that second base is going to be a blackhole for the Cubs this year. Thankfully the Phillies picked up Castillo before Hendry could.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
      I think the real situation we have is at second base were Theriot Jr is failing and now apparently the team is even questioning his defensive abilities. Granted DeWitt wasn't really the answer but I don't think a Barney/Baker combo is closer to the answer. With each passing day I become more and more convinced that second base is going to be a blackhole for the Cubs this year. Thankfully the Phillies picked up Castillo before Hendry could.
      Yep. I agree that 2B is a real point of interest. I think eventually Barney will fill that spot.

Comment

Well, it looks like Barney is going to get his shot at 2B. As for the catching situation, it's still up in the air. Now from what I understand, Hill has had a finger injury that has kept him from swinging the bat, although that was never his strong suit anyway. He was always a really nice game-caller and defensive catcher. I've always liked his presence. Would you forget the average and still look at him as adding a left-handed bat or keep Castillo up?

Comment

The problem with Castillo has always been his lack of experience with game calling. If your starting catcher can hit well you can live with that lack of experience but teams tend not to do that with their backup catcher. I don't see them breaking camp with three catchers on the roster. Either one of them goes on the DL or one of them gets sent down or cut. I'm betting on one of them getting sent down.

Comment

BTW, I goofed with the injuries. It's both Castillo and Ramirez who are currently battling injuries. Ramirez would need to clear waivers to be optioned to Iowa.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X