What if..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if..

the Cubs won the World Series? I know it would be huge, but how huge?

I think it would be bigger than when the Redsox won in 04. I cant even imagine what Chicago would be like. I guarantee there would be thousands of kids not going to school the next day along with adults calling off work. Chicago would be shut down. Least the north side would.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Depending on what the regular season and playoffs were like and who they were playing in the series; it'd have a good chance to set a 'most-viewed' world series on t.v.

I've tried to capture a feel how I thought it would go in the thread 'Myth of Wrigley': my figuring was the media in general would be shameless cheerleaders....till any moment when the cubs got into a difficult spot, then they would begin wailing and squealing about how the cubs can't win and it's all Wrigley-field's fault...

Comment

I think the moon would turn blood red and there would be great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Comment

At least in St. Louis, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanic View Post
            At least in St. Louis, anyway.
            Eh...wouldn't really diminish our historic greatness or anything. I don't think most people would be too heartbroken here. the problem is, we would NEVER hear the end of it from local Cubs fans.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Which is the way it should be.

Comment

Wrigley is located in the middle of a huge tavern district, in a part of own where Cub fans are like rabid dogs. Im a CHGO Policeman and I was down there on detail the night of Bartmans famous grab 14 Oct '03. It was a warm Oct. evening and the Cub fans were slobbering at the mouth cause they knew if they won that game they won the pennant and then nobody would stop them. At the beginning of the 8'th inning I told my partner, "they may just win this thing and if they do there aint enough of us down here". Ive been thru all the Bulls Championship riots and I think a Cubs pennant that night would have been worse. The park was jammed and every Gin Mill in Northern IL. was packed and they were all drunk.

Well then the crash and the place emptied, all the fans looking like punch drunk boxers. Everyone knew they would lose the next one due to the curse. But had they won that night the city would have gone mad. The pennant alone would have done it and who knows what a WS win at home would bring.

Hell the last time they won one you had to drive to the game in a horse and buggy.
                "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

What if.... Theo Epstein was hired as the GM of the Cubs. Would he be able to help the organization reach the promised ground in the next 5 years or so?
                  Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM.
                  What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                  Line Drive: .356
                  HBP: .342
                  Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                  Intentional Walk: .176
                  Outfield Fly: .035
                  Groundball: -.101
                  Bunts: -.103
                  Infield Fly: -.243
                  Strikeout: -.287
                  It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                    I know it would be huge, but how huge?
                    The world will explode.
                    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                      What if.... Theo Epstein was hired as the GM of the Cubs. Would he be able to help the organization reach the promised ground in the next 5 years or so?
                      Yes. By year 5 players from his 1st draft would be up and all the crap contracts would be gone, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                        Yes. By year 5 players from his 1st draft would be up and all the crap contracts would be gone, etc.
                        maybe the cubs should just tank the next 5 seasons losing a 100 every year to always get the best picks. in that way they would have a really great farm system (similar to the rays who also were helped by sucking over an expanded period thus having a great farm system) and all the bad contracts are gone. then they could get some good FAs to supplement the home grown core and win a WS.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

The Cubs will win one. The Sox winning one proves anything is possible. Its just a matter of time. Getting rid of that wretched GM was a big step and at this point theres no reason to fire a coach since they arent going anywheres next year anyways. But they will. Eventually the worm will turn. They have to lay the groundword to be competative on a year to year basis instead of just throwing money around.

And frankly there are no fan bases more deserving. My best friends dad is as mad a Cub fan as you can find and he's about 80yo now. I bet he has never missed watching a game since he retired. I hope he gets his wish before he passes.
                          "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I remember thinking how utterly amazing a possible Cubs-Redsox World Series in 2003 (or am I off a year? of course, neither team made it very far) would have been. It probably would have smashed all viewing records and would have been tops for at least a decade afterwards. Oh well.

My Mom promised me that she won't die until the Cubs win a WS, so I expect (and certainly hope!) that she'll live a long life.

Comment

ESPN will forget they're base central for Mt. Myopia and will talk about it for five minutes, then spend the next 45 minutes talking about what the Red Sox and Yankees will do to try to win it next year.
                              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X