Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cubs' Top Lower Level Prospects (Rookie, Short A, Low A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs' Top Lower Level Prospects (Rookie, Short A, Low A)

The Cubs produced only one prospect in the Midwest League but he's someone to watch.

Midwest League

9. MATT SZCZUR OF, PEORIA CHIEFS (CUBS)
    Age: 22. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 195. Drafted: Villanova, '10 (5).

Szczur (Caesar) has excellent speed which helps him in center and on the bases. His quick wrists along with his speed helps him hit for average and he looks to develop average power. The Cubs hope that Matt turns into the leadoff hitter they've been looking for in the near future. Szczur ended the season strong and earned a callup to the Florida State League and helped the Daytona Cubs win the Championship as he earned MVP honors. He impressed so much that he was listed as the number 8 prospect in the Florida State League.

In the Northwest (Short season A) League, the Cubs posted four prospects in the top 20.

10. REGGIE GOLDEN OF, BOISE HAWKS (CUBS)

Age: 19. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 5-10. Wt.: 210. Drafted: HS—Wetumpka, Ala. '10 (2).

Golden hits the ball with authority, that is when he hits the ball. Reggie is a prime athlete with amazing raw power as his biggest tool. Although he runs well on the bases and looks to have an average arm and range in the corner outfield. His biggest problem is making contact as he is easily fooled with breaking balls out of the zone.

12. BEN WELLS RHP, BOISE HAWKS (CUBS)

Age: 18. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 220. Drafted: HS—Bryant, Ark. '10 (7).

Wells could turn into a quick climber up the system with his plus sinker and bulldog mentality. Ben increased his velocity thru the season which aided his sinker and his command improved steadily. The battle that Wells will continue with is turning both of his below average changeup and curveball into average or plus pitches as he threw mainly fastballs during the season.

14. PIN-CHIEH CHEN OF, BOISE HAWKS (CUBS)

Age: 20. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 170. Signed: Taiwan '09.

Chen has great hands and squares up on the ball nicely, spraying the ball all around the field. He slaps at the ball and uses his great speed to get on base. Chen started last year as a 2nd baseman but was moved to centerfield where he still needs to learn alot defensively. Chen's small frame almost guarantees he'll never post power numbers but could hit his share of extrabase hits in doubles and triples.

17. ZEKE DeVOSS 2B, BOISE HAWKS (CUBS)

Age: 21. B-T: B-R. Ht.: 5-10. Wt.: 171. Drafted: Miami '11 (3).

DeVoss was a quick signing this season and was able to showcase his stuff in Boise. Zeke is the ideal leadoff hitter, hitting from both sides of the plate, showing a good eye and great speed, along with good contact skills. He currently plays as a 2nd baseman as the organization is short on quality ones but could be moved to center in the future.

Arizona Cubs (Rookie Ball)

6. MARCO HERNANDEZ SS, AZL CUBS
    Age: 18. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 170. Signed: Dominican Republic '09.

Marco shows great skills in the field and looks like he could stick at SS in more advanced leagues with his plus arm and his quick feet. Hernandez's offense is still in the works as a switch hitter. His contact skills are a plus and he shows good speed and developing power especially as a middle infield prospect.

9. GIOSKAR AMAYA 3B, AZL CUBS

Age: 18. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 5-11. Wt.: 175. Signed: Venezuela '09.

Amaya finished second this year in batting average in the Arizona League, hitting .377 and leading the league in hits. His easy contactabilty and natural hitting instincts could allow him to quickly rise in the organization. Gioskar is often compared to Starlin Castro for his contact skills. His line drive approach and gap power along with playing the infield will help him rise as well. Amaya's speed is above average and shows great glove skills yet a below average arm that could keep him from playing SS in the upper leagues but lets him play 2B or 3B.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 10-04-2011, 09:23 PM.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

I personally saw Szczur in Peoria. He is certainly someone to watch.

Comment

One of my closest friends and one of the last scouts I have a close relationship with is centered down in the Orlando area. The scout has him pegged as a future allstar in the MLB. He has great speed, good contact, a good eye, a great athlete, and some resounding pop that could develop. Watch this kid as he could fly through the system and be the future centerfielder and leadoff man in a year or two. What's also going in his favor is that he has an amazing work ethic and is a fan favorite.
      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
      Line Drive: .356
      HBP: .342
      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
      Intentional Walk: .176
      Outfield Fly: .035
      Groundball: -.101
      Bunts: -.103
      Infield Fly: -.243
      Strikeout: -.287
      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

In light of all the recent compensation for Epstein talks, I have developed a bit of an interest in the Cubs farm system, especially at the lower levels. Then I came in here and found that there are a bunch of people quite knowledgeable about the Cubs farm. Specifically I wonder what you can tell me about Jeimer Candelario, and Enrique Acosta, also Javier Baez and Dan Vogelbach.
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

McNutt looks like the guy the Sox are targeting...what do you all think of him?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X