Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Dusty Survive to the All-Star Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Dusty Survive to the All-Star Game?

I've been following the Cubs since the '50's and I've learned over all that time to trust my instincts about this team, and my instincts tell me that something is about to blow sky high. I've been though a lot of Cubs ups and downs over the years, but we may be at a new all-time low.

Hard to believe, but today's 10-4 loss to the Padres may well have been the worst loss of the year -and that's really saying something! That was also Dan Plesec's assessment. It was actually painful to watch.

Lord knows I'm not a big Dusty fan, but I can hardly blame him for this mess he's been dealt. I put 90% of the blame on Jim Hendry for yet another year of incredibly bad personnel decisions. In addition, I don't think Dusty's heart is in this job any longer. I (and many others) sensed that after last year's dismal 4th place finish. I think he would have taken that Dodger job in a heart beat had it been offered. And now I think he's eying the Arizona job. I just sense that he wants out and wouldn't mind at all being fired (although he'd never admit that). All this talk about being "mildly annoyed" about not getting his extension is just window dressing. I don't believe that Dusty will quit, so the question now is, will Hendry have the stones to launch Dusty? I think he'll do it, probably sooner than we think, especially if the Cubs get humiliated by the White Sox next weekend.

So my prediciton is that Dusty will be out well before the All-Star game. I had this same feeling right before Zimmer got bounced in '92. What do you'all think? Here's some options:

1. You're crazy. Dusty is a great manager, the team will rebound when Wood and Prior come back, and the Cubs will be in contention before it's all over. He'll be offered the extension fairly soon and will accept it.

2. Dusty will survive a dismal, injury-plagued year, but won't be offered an extension. This will be his last year as manager of the Cubs.

3.The Cubs will continue to flounder and are humiliated by the White Sox. Dusty will be gone approximately around the All-Star game.

4. You're right - this year has been an unmitigated disaster! Dusty will be made the scapegoat and will be fired within the next two-three weeks.
    Last edited by GaryL; 05-12-2006, 04:52 PM.

I guess point 1 or 2 will happen. I just wish Dusty would quit playing Jerry Hairston Jr, I think he sucks bad. Hopefully 4-6 weeks left for Lee to come back, God that's going to feel like 2 years.
    Last edited by Lipsander; 05-12-2006, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Where is the option for "Dusty and the Cubs suck it up, Hendry offers Dusty extension amid back patting."?

I vote for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
        I guess point 1 or 2 will happen. I just wish Dusty would quit playing Jerry Hairston Jr, I think he sucks bad. Hopefully 4-6 weeks left for Lee to come back, God that's going to feel like 2 years.
        i kinda agree. except everyone was bit*hin that hairston deserved a chance, too.

except i was always bitchikn that hairston DIDNT deserve all that much.

Comment

At first I thought there is no way he gets canned before the season. But now I am not too sure. The media is giving him a pass right now because of the injuries. But that will be the tell-tale sign. When and if the media turn on Dusty is when you will be seeing Dusty's days numbered. The Cubs are in a free-fall and yes may very well not have anything to do with Dusty and his management style but at some point the media is going to run out of stories and that is when they are going to turn their guns on him. Right now I think the media is waiting to see what will happen with Wood and Prior and see what that does for the team. They don't want to jump Dusty and have these guys plus Lee come back and the Cubs jump into a pennant race and have themselves look bad. So if these guys come back and the Cubs are still under .500 or look lifeless with them that is when you will see the end of Dusty.

The guy who should go is Hendry to me. The guy seems incapable of actually creating a long term or even seasonal plan for this team. The guy it seems has Plan A and it is extremely risky yet he has very little in the way of back up plans. Hendry going into this year had the potential of having an entire rotation flop (except for Z) and really had nothing in terms of known quantities or chits to use for trades as back up. Wood has never been healthy, you knew Prior wasn't going to give you 35 starts, and you had Maddux at 40+, and then after that it was hope and pray at the back end. Almost everybody in the minors were unknown quantities who were going to have to be battle tested because they were very rarely if ever given a chance at the major league level. I will admit that this year it seems Hendry was a little bit more prepared and wasn't caught quite as flat footed as he usually does. For the first time he brought in a lot of arms and is/was attempting to sift through them. But is it too little too late? Rotation issues and really pitching issues have been known and constant for the Cubs now for at least 4 seasons yet finally it's dawning on Hendry that he should do something about it?

Comment

I am a Dusty believer. Not that he's my favorite but he's been our manager most of my years foollowing the Cubs and 2003 and 2004 wern't too bad. 2005 could have been an off year and 2006 is only 1/5 the way through and theres plenty of time for us to hang in there so I hope he stays. I most deffinently believe he will make it through the year. Not to mention, if we can Dusty, who are we gonna bring in?
            "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
            -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
            -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Not to mention, if we can Dusty, who are we gonna bring in?
              Hopefully a white guy, just to piss off PoopScoop Jackson, Bruce Jenkins and any other hack "journalist" who has a crush on Dusty Baker or thinks Chicagoans are racist because we're tired of Dusty's excuses and lazy, lifeless brand of baseball.
              beware of the censorship police

Comment

Originally posted by burger eater
                Hopefully a white guy, just to piss off PoopScoop Jackson, Bruce Jenkins and any other hack "journalist" who has a crush on Dusty Baker or thinks Chicagoans are racist because we're tired of Dusty's excuses and lazy, lifeless brand of baseball.
                Wow tell us how you really feel about Dusty. Dustyball isn't lazy and lifeless, he just doesn't have the cast mates for this sedason, not with what Hendry put together this offseason. If you want to blame someone, and who's fault it really is, look at that fat tub of lard named Hendry. Jim was deadset on making us a speedy/defensive team with over reliance on 3 offensive power threats (Lee, Ramirez, and Barrett). And now it's come to bite him in the ass, now that the most consistant and most threatening force is out of our lineup, we can't score, we have no one to knock men in, or to get on base.

Since Lee went on the DL 5-15 107r to 60r (against the likes of StL, Marlins, Brewers, Pirates, Dbacks, Padres, Giants, ands Padres). We are averaging 3 runs a ballgame, while giving up 5.35 runs; not exactly an equation for winning.
                What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                Line Drive: .356
                HBP: .342
                Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                Intentional Walk: .176
                Outfield Fly: .035
                Groundball: -.101
                Bunts: -.103
                Infield Fly: -.243
                Strikeout: -.287
                It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Yea, there's always an excuse for Dusty. I guess he didn't have the "cast mates" in 2004 either.

Jim was deadset on making us a speedy/defensive team with over reliance on 3 offensive power threats (Lee, Ramirez, and Barrett). And now it's come to bite him in the ass,
                  Sure, except Hendry has been aquiring the type of players that Dusty likes.
                  Speedy guys
                  swing early, swing often
                  reputation for strong defense

The crimes of Dusty Baker are too many to list.
                  beware of the censorship police

Comment

However you want to say it Dustyball is dumb baseball. Don't draw walks, don't hit the cutoff man, don't pay attention on the bases. Don't worry about thinking and keeping your head in the game because it's all about gut feelings and mysterious voodoo forces, duuuuuuuuude.

That said, I don't think everything that's happened is his fault. Unfortunately, Jim Hendry already got his contract so Dusty has to take the fall.

I'd bring Bob Brenly down from the TV booth but I think he's too smart to accept the job.

Comment

Originally posted by rainout

I'd bring Bob Brenly down from the TV booth but I think he's too smart to accept the job.
                      Lou Piniella - call your office!!!

By the way, does anyone have an explanation as to why Juan Pierre is so bad? His .276 OBP is just attrocious. Do you think Hendry was aware that his batting average was down 50 ponts from 2004 to 2005? According to the latest issue of Baseball Digest, that was good enough to make the list of "Top Ten Declining Players" in 2005.

And did anyone else see that latest horrendous, embarrassing throw by "Jock-strap" Jones today from right field? It actually rolled into Neifi Perez. The runner took the turn at first, and was going back. When he saw the throw, he ran and easily made it to second. I've seen Little Leaguers make better throws. And this wasn't the first time he's made a throw like this in recent days. A THREE YEAR DEAL FOR $15 MIL??? UGH!! WHAT WAS HENDRY THINKING??? Doesn't this team have scouts that actually evaluate a player and give input before they trade for him and give him a big contract? Maybe that's were the blame lies - with the Cubs scouting department!
                      Last edited by GaryL; 05-13-2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I never thought about sweet Lou. The Cubs need a fire lit under their @ss'. Get it right, it's not "Jock Strap" Jones, it's "Jock Itch".

Comment

My top picks were/are Larry Dierker, Davey Johnson, or Mike Hargrove. But Hargrove hasn't impressed me in years so he is sort of off the list. Whatever the cubs do though what they should not do is hire Brenly to be the manager he is atrocious.

Comment

--As a Mariners fan I would be willing to part with Mike Hargrove if the Cubs require his services. I'd even help out with his moving expenses. Deirker seemed pretty good with Houston. Davey Johnson was a great manager, but he has been out of the game for awhile. Anybody know what he is doing these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                              Whatever the cubs do though what they should not do is hire Brenly to be the manager he is atrocious.
                              Just going by his analysis he seems assertive and competent, more than I can say about DB.

Wasn't Davey Johnson working over in Japan?

Also I do believe the Cubs have Grady Little employed in a minor league instructional capacity.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X