Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood does well in rehab outing

Saturday, May 13 2006 @ 01:20 AM EDT

Today Kerry Wood took the mound his 2nd, and hopefully last rehab start this season. Wood took on the Colorado Springs Sky Sox and did just fine. Not good, not bad, just fine. Kerry started the game with one pitch and one out. Then things got a little harder. Wood then induced a pop up, gave up a walk and then got another fly out to end the inning. Wood threw 18 pitches in the first, 11 of which were strikes.

He was touched up a bit in the 2nd, giving up a lead-off hit to J.D. Closser. Following a sacrifice bunt by Jorge Piedra and a Juan Melo strikeout, Wood gave up a RBI single to Jayson Nix. Closser scored on a bang-bang play at the plate after a 1 hop throw by I-Cubs center fielder Felix Pie. Wood got out of the inning by striking out the pitcher. Wood threw 16 pitches in the 2nd, 11 of which were strikes.

Omar Quantanilla led off the 3rd with a walk, and after a fly out and a strikeout Ryan Shealy singles to left to advance Quantanilla to 2nd. J. D. Closser ended the 3rd by grounding out to 2nd. In the 3rd Wood threw 27 pitches, 16 of which were strikes.

In the 4th Jorge Piedra led off with a double down the right field line that landed just inside the chalk beyond first base. He was then stranded as Wood got 3 straight ground-outs, throwing just 11 pitches and 8 strikes in the 4th. In the 5th Wood threw 13 pitches, 8 strikes, and gave up a single between a ground out and a pair of fly-outs.

Overall Wood threw 85 pitches, 54 strikes and 31 balls. He threw 11 first pitch strikes and his line was 5 innings, 5 hits, 1 run, 2 walks and 3 strike outs. At the plate Wood was 1-of-2. In his first AB he failed to get a bunt down twice before singling to right.

Below are quotes from his post game interview:

How do you feel about this start?
    "I’d liked to have gone deeper in the game. I didn’t have my best stuff, I made pitches when I needed to and I got out of jams. I’ll take it."

Did you throw up to normal velocity?
    "I have no idea. I wouldn’t be able to tell. I know I didn’t have my best stuff. I wasn’t as strong as my last time out. I made good enough pitches to get guys out and I worked in all my pitches."

How’d it feel to get that base hit?
    "I wish I’d have got my bunt down…"

Shoulder feel good?
    "Yeah it feels fine. Yeah, stuff wise I don’t think it was as good as last time out. I was just able to make pitches and get guys out."

What do you hear about Prior?
    "As far as I know everything is good with him."

Observations from the press box: Wood looked good, though not dominant. Most people in the press box, including writers from the Sun-Times and AP believe that Wood was throwing as though he was "going through the motions."

His velocity topped out at 93 on the last pitch, and he threw his fastball around 88-91 the whole game. On the radar gun he touched 93 once, 92 twice, and 91 nine times. His control was good, though he did miss a couple of pitches inside that nearly hit a batter in the 3rd.

Only one of his hits were for extra bases, and it was a shot that was fair by a foot or two at most. The rest were singles that were a couple feet over in the infield or hits that dropped in a couple feet from an outfielder. Only one pitch was hit hard and it was a fly out to the warning track in the first inning by Ryan Shealy, the Sky Sox cleanup hitter.
    BELIEVE

I'd like to see him throw one more rehab start before I would feel confident in him, but it wouldn't bother me to see him back in the big leagues right now either. The Cubs are not gonna do alot of winning the way they are playing right now anyway.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X