No announcement yet.

What will Theo do? OFFSEASON THREAD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cubs got the Reds' 20th and 22nd rank prospect out of the Marshall deal. Dave Sappelt and Ronald Torreyes.

Sappelt played mostly CF in the minors with some LF and then played LF for the Reds last year. He's 24 yrs old and looks like he is at that point where he has to prove he can play in the bigs. Looks to me like a 4th OF'er.

Torreyes is a 19y old middle infielder who has 158 minor league games under his belt. Torched the rookie leagues in 2010 as a 17yr old and then torched A ball this year as an 18yr old. For some reason he didn't join the team until mid-June and thus got into only 68 or so games. He's a little dude with a lot of energy.

If I had to pick someone to like in this trade it would be Torreyes.

In other news Cubs signed Manny Corpse. Why, I do not know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
      You find it interesting that I didn't answer whether the Cubs will reach their full potential next season? Why? What is the Cubs' full potential? They didn't get anybody and besides Brett Jackson they don't have anyone that needs developing right now.

How many wins do you think this competitive team will have in 2012?
      You just can't answer the question, can you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
        You find it interesting that I didn't answer whether the Cubs will reach their full potential next season? Why? What is the Cubs' full potential? They didn't get anybody and besides Brett Jackson they don't have anyone that needs developing right now.

How many wins do you think this competitive team will have in 2012?
        maybe he doesn't care about being competitive?

I could imagine that epstein doesn't give a **** if the cubs win 70 or 85. epstein wants to make history and achieve the greatest achievement in sports: winning it all with the cubs.

if he can do this he is a baseball good. so I don't think epstein will do anything now that impairs the chance of winning it all in a couple of years. of course epstein also owes the fans a solid team but I imagine he only cares for one thing: that ******* throphy.

I'm sure he will still get some players but with any signing he will ask himself a question: will this signing now help me to win in 2015 (maybe the earliest they can be really competitive)?

that might also be the reason why they didn't go after albert. I mean he is great but a great player doesn't help the cards in 2012. they will need him in 2015 or 16. will albert still be great then?
        Last edited by dominik; 12-23-2011, 04:27 PM.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Evaluating the Jed Hoyer era in San Diego:
          http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...-in-san-diego/
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
            Evaluating the Jed Hoyer era in San Diego:
            http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...-in-san-diego/
            Great article about Hoyer's tenure in SD but what he's already started on the Northside.
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Carlos Zambrano to the Marlins?
              http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...zambrano-.html
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

No longer a rumor and got a pitcher in return....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6396252.story

Now this one was a bit easier because Ozzie wanted his buddy (CZ) on the Marlins most likely, but is it possible they could move Soriano, too?

Comment

Well, if they are willing to eat all of Soriano's contract like they basically were for the Zambrano trade then yes they can move Soriano.

If I had to choose between 18 million dollars for Zambrano or 18 million dollars for Chirs Volstad I'd choose Zambrano.

Comment

I don't see much of an upside to this deal. Paying virtually all of Zambrano's salary gets us a subpar 5th starter with little if any upside? We probably would've done better to hang on to Z and try to flip him for something at the trade deadline.
                    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
                    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
                    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

Zambrano was probably seen as a locker room/leadership issue. Particularly as they are bringing in younger people. Who wants to work around people like that anyway? That's why they are willing to grab Volstad.

Comment

Originally posted by Windy City Fan View Post
                        I don't see much of an upside to this deal. Paying virtually all of Zambrano's salary gets us a subpar 5th starter with little if any upside? We probably would've done better to hang on to Z and try to flip him for something at the trade deadline.
                        Volstad is a lot better than that.

Comment

So the Cubs sign Maholm.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/99190...ul-maholm.html

What Will Theo Do? Is this a signing to give them a decent pitching staff so perhaps they can be competitive or is this a sign of Garza for draft pick moves?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X