Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drunk female fan throws a ball a Jacque's head in the 9th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunk female fan throws a ball a Jacque's head in the 9th.

I do not care how many times a guy makes a mistake, this should never happen, I hope the fan is a longtime season ticket holder and she gets banned from Wrigley... for life.

Keep in mind all this happened while the Cubs were ahead, 4-0. UNREAL.

CHICAGO -- A female fan sitting in the bleachers threw a ball that nearly hit Chicago Cubs right fielder Jacque Jones in the head at the start of the ninth inning Tuesday night.
    A Cubs spokeswoman said the woman was inebriated and detained by security. Jones was not hurt, but he was shaken up.

"I threw a ball to Juan [Pierre during warmups], and turned around to go back to my position and a ball came whizzing past my head," Jones said. "They said whoever threw it was drunk. It went right past my face."

Jones has not gotten a warm reception from the Cubs fans since joining the team this year. He signed a three-year, $16 million contract in December, and is batting .264 after Tuesday's 4-0 win over the Washington Nationals. He didn't endear himself to the fans when he singled with none out in the fourth and was doubled off at second base. What happened?

"[I should've just froze] at least, and then I saw the ball turn in and it looked like it was going to fall," Jones said of the play. "I should've just stayed at second base. No excuses."

But there's no excuse for a fan throwing anything at a player, especially at his head. Jones called second base umpire Ed Montague out to let him know what happened. Was he scared?

"Yeah," Jones said, "but I'm not going to let one person ruin my time here. I signed here for three years, and I signed here to help the team win. I probably haven't played my best baseball and I understand that, and you can voice your opinions. But throwing stuff at me is not acceptable in any way, shape or form.

"I'm not going to let one incident ruin what I came here to do, what I came here to help do. I'm not going to leave here until I help this team win."

The win was the Cubs' second in their last 14 games, and the fans have not been shy in voicing their displeasure at the team's performance.

"What you don't want to have happen is guys in right field throwing balls at people," Cubs second baseman Todd Walker said. "In this city, we have great fans and knowledgeable fans, and they understand we have a long way to go. You can't jump off the bandwagon just yet."

Walker said the troublemakers are few, not the majority. He also admitted he'd be nervous if someone threw something at him unexpectedly.

"I would [be afraid] if a ball came whizzing by my head," Walker said. "They've done a good job in this ballpark [with security]. You can't put the entire fan base of the Cubs around one idiot out there who does something like that. But what you can see start to happen when you lose is more people booing plays, and the reality is it's not plays that should be booed. Let's understand the game a little more and back this team. I think we have a great chance to do some things."

Does Jones regret signing with the Cubs?

Read the rest of the story here.
    BELIEVE

That is horrible. I was mad that he got doubled off but I wouldnt throw stuff to injure him, hes better than any replacement we have right now.
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
      That is horrible. I was mad that he got doubled off but I wouldnt throw stuff to injure him, hes better than any replacement we have right now.
      Hell, he's one of our best hitters with Lee gone; and he's been enfuego the last 17 games.

But he has made some boneheaded plays in the field and on the bases, and this is Chicago, where drunk fans have struck before.
      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
      Line Drive: .356
      HBP: .342
      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
      Intentional Walk: .176
      Outfield Fly: .035
      Groundball: -.101
      Bunts: -.103
      Infield Fly: -.243
      Strikeout: -.287
      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

I hate to tell Cub fans this but Jones is playing his best baseball.

Let's hope the fan gets severely punished.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

She was not a true Cubs fan in my eyes. What a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
            She was not a true Cubs fan in my eyes. What a moron.
            A true Cubs fan wouldn't do that. I know that it was probably just a drunk cubs fan but I don't think a Cubs fan would do something so stupid like that. Do you think it could have been a Nationals fan that just wore cubs apparel to hurt the Cub fans' reputation as the GREATEST FANS!
            Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

Comment

She must have been a lefty, if she was a righty there would have been contact.

Comment

The incident aside, most newspaper reports say Jones is struggling at the plate and on the bases.
                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

If fans cheer Barry Bonds getting throw at than in my opinion there is no difference than a fan in the bleachers throwing a ball at a disappointing player.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                    The incident aside, most newspaper reports say Jones is struggling at the plate and on the bases.
                    no they arent. they are reporting that he is getting hot at the plate, but terrible on the bases. Moises Alou disease is what hes got.

still, just not something a person should do. Her punishment should be to clean up the park after a game.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
                      still, just not something a person should do. Her punishment should be to clean up the park after a game.
                      She should have to clean out thos trough urinals and change the cakes
                      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                      Line Drive: .356
                      HBP: .342
                      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                      Intentional Walk: .176
                      Outfield Fly: .035
                      Groundball: -.101
                      Bunts: -.103
                      Infield Fly: -.243
                      Strikeout: -.287
                      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

There are always drunken idiots in the bleachers. (Hell I was served there long before I was 21 back in the day) I hope she was arrested and does time. Even with a few days that ought to give her something to think about.

On the subject of bleacher fans/bums.... I heard there was a girl in the early part of the 20th century who shot at a player. Not sure whether or not that is true but would be interested to know.
                        What two words strike fear into every Cubs fan?
                        Oh, no.

Comment

Originally posted by cubfanmom
                          On the subject of bleacher fans/bums.... I heard there was a girl in the early part of the 20th century who shot at a player. Not sure whether or not that is true but would be interested to know.

Of course, it is true. It is the basis of the "The Natural".
                          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Defense of the Lefty!

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                            She must have been a lefty, if she was a righty there would have been contact.

BOOO! I'm a lefty...If I throw....I make contact.

Example, (not saying I would...but)...If I were to throw a ball in a drunking rage at Bruce Chen's head....there would be contact.

However, I would never do that.
                            Orioles: Once fine organization, being run into the ground by Peter Angelos.

Comment

The comment has more to do with Jacque Jones complete inability to hit lefties this year while being rather good against righties.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X