New Attendence Record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Attendence Record?

So the Cubs single season attendence record is 3,170,000 in 2004. Which makes sense. Afterall, their record was 89-73 and everybody likes to see a winner. But, after the first 24 home games this year the Cubs are on pace to attract 3,202,000 fans with a current record of 19-31. What gives?

Are the stereotypes of Cub fans going out to Wrigley true? Or are there just more fans making it to more games this year? I don't see how that could be true. Who would want to become a fan of a losing team? And don't expect that attendence to drop. The summer is here and Kids are getting out of school.
    2016 World Series Champions

a) lots of season ticket holders. theyve already spent the money on the team so it behooves them to go. I fall into that category. b) there are plenty of fans who are the stereotype. C) its arrogant to attribute high attendance only due to cubs fans. Plenty of fans come from other cities to cheer on their teams. D) 165 K fans showed up over the four day weekend (including friday) because its memorial day weekend and families come out to the ballpark when they may not usually go out. that and the weather was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
      So the Cubs single season attendence record is 3,170,000 in 2004. Which makes sense. Afterall, their record was 89-73 and everybody likes to see a winner. But, after the first 24 home games this year the Cubs are on pace to attract 3,202,000 fans with a current record of 19-31. What gives?

Are the stereotypes of Cub fans going out to Wrigley true? Or are there just more fans making it to more games this year? I don't see how that could be true. Who would want to become a fan of a losing team? And don't expect that attendance to drop. The summer is here and Kids are getting out of school.
      There are a couple of dynamics at work here. First off Wrigley is a fun place to watch baseball. Most of all on sunny days during the summer. It always was and always will be, as well as being a baseball shrine. Next up is the Cubs have an awful lot of fans, far more then the CWS. Wrigley is sold out this year and "most" people want to spend a day at the ballpark no matter how bad they are playing. They paid for it so why not go? As to "stereotypes" there are a lot of people who live around around the ballpark that have a lot of disposable income. Wrigley has two other things going for it as well, a lot of good looking woman and a lot of sports bars within staggering distance of the place.

Lastly tho the Cubs and their fans have no real expectation to win. So if you don't expect to win how disappointing could it possible be to lose? This way of thinking infects the players as well, which is why they consistently have guys that under-perform until they are traded. The only thing that can change this philosophy is to not support the team and make the Cubs hurt financially. That aint going to happen however. Other teams, like the Sox, need to actually win in order to draw fans. The Cubs can make excuses, blame others, and spin new fantasies for their fans, "next year", "it aint my fault", "AJ slammed the plate", "we have injuries".

As long as they have a product that entertains, including the neighborhood park/tavern experience, they will fill the place up and make a ton of money. Its really that simple. Wrigley is just to much fun to watch baseball in for fans to stay away.
      "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I am sure there are fans out there who "have no expectations to win"

I think those are the fans who are a fan of a team, not a fan of winning.

Sure it is fun when your team wins, but a lot of us have way too much time and effort put in to just turn our backs on the team, and start rooting for a winning team. Just so we (the fans) can see a world series victory. That would be worse (in my opinion) than having no expectations of a team winning.

Some people, are a fan of the game played, more than a fan of winning.

Sure it would be great to win it all... but being a loyal fan through thick and thin... is ok with me.

Also...

Whitesoxnut:

I have been telling my friends and family, that when the Cubs win it all.. (whenever that happens) I will think back to seasons like this, (& 1984, 1990 2004) and I will look to the sky, smile real big, and think to myself... it was all worth it.

I know plenty of White Sox fans who thought the same. One world series win for me and my team, will not make me a critic of other less producing franchises... I will keep my perspective, and remember that 1 series win does not make my team a dynasty... therefore I will not run around boasting like my team has just won the last 5 years, and is more successful than what they really are.... which is one win in almost a century.
        BELIEVE

Comment

Hub actually "winning" isnt all that important to me. Lets face it, to go all the way in baseball is extremely difficult. Probably the hardest of team sports to do. So many things have to go right, so few things have to go wrong, so many things have to be avoided. You have to avoid injuries or at least fill them in with quality subs. You not only have to hire great players you have to get ones that are all on the same page. Most of all you have to peak at the right times and win the right games. That's why the days of dynasties are over, "for the most part". Free agency has played a big part in this as well.

What bothers me about Tribune et al isn't so much the wins/losses. It is their entire program! They chased me away in the mid-80s with their hypocrisy, cunning, and greed. I was bitter about it for awhile because I loved the Cubs and was one of those lunatics that hung on every play. To me a ballpark is a shrine and the game is a religion. I don't drink, could care less about the girls in halters "well at least while the game is on" , and the only ambiance that matters is good baseball.

I haven't been to Wrigley since 1984. I wont even take my kid there, nor have I purchased a Tribune since then, "hows that for spite"? I hope Cub fans are rewarded for their loyalty and I'd be lying if I told you I had no attachment to the team anymore. They were a big part of my life for a long time and I have many happy memories at Wrigley.

They will not go all the way with this current regime running the show.
          "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X