Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs Acquire Nevin

in trade for Hairston Jr.

its on cubs.com right now and was reported by wGN radio a few minutes ago...

Well, there's one extra second baseman gone. Too bad we didn't get rid of Neifi or Bynum. What's Nevin going to do for us? Rot on the bench?

Comment

Nevin

This is a surprise but it should help the Cubs. He's a veteran power bat and may be more comfortable in the National league. Hairston Jr. wasn't playing as much as he did last year so I assume he wasn't in their plans. The Rangers must want the rookie,Botts,big bat in the lineup. If you saw the upper deck homer he hit Sunday night,you know what I mean.

Comment

What for?? Nevin, who has had a fine career, is on the fast slope to the scrap heap.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Nice move by the Cubs, in my opinion. They desperately needed another power bat in the lineup with Derrek Lee sidelined and Nevin should provide them with just that...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
            The Rangers must want the rookie,Botts,big bat in the lineup.
            Yeah this trade will clear the way for Botts to get more playing time now for the Rangers. I do wonder what the Cubs will do with Nevin, since they don't have the DH. I think he's only played the field once this year, at 1B.
            Go Rangers! :gt

Comment

Nevin

Hadn't thought about the defensive side of this trade. He'll be taking LOTS of groundballs,daily,very soon!

Originally posted by TXRangersFan
              Yeah this trade will clear the way for Botts to get more playing time now for the Rangers. I do wonder what the Cubs will do with Nevin, since they don't have the DH. I think he's only played the field once this year, at 1B.

Comment

Couldn't this have been done a month ago?

Comment

good trade...if nevin can get it going he will be a good offensive addition to your struggling offense....
                  Our future.....Colby Rasmus.....Im his biggest fan!!!

Comment

there are few home team players I have disliked, but i've hated hairston from day one, when he came in in the sosa trade and cried about not starting over 10-year vet Neifi and potential all-star Todd Walker. His attitude was piss poor and he contributed nothing. He reminds me of ex-Bear Mike Green--awful fundamentals (especailly defensively--green's coverage "skills" compare with Hairston's ball-tracking "skills") with the athleticism to make up for his mistakes. and a piss poor attitude.

one play stands out to me over any other Hairston moment. Last year, I forgot who we were playing, but he completely misreads a fly ball, comes in about 10 yards, then flies backwards on his butt and makes a spectacular catch. On sportscenter, they only show when he dives back, and praise him like crazy. Nobody mentions that the only reason he had to make that play was because he horrible misread a can o' corn fly ball.

needless to say, i won't be missing him. We already have the two most useless players in baseball history, Neifi Perez and Tony Woe-hack. Jerry was developing into a player just about as useful.

Comment

Yeah Nevin, this trade happened about 6 years too late. This man has made close to 40 million dollars based on 3 seasons he had before the big paychecks, and those 3 seasons are why he is still employed. His career went downhill when they tried to move Nevin off of third and he ended up getting injured.

If this trade keeps perez or Womack on the bench I guess in a roundabout way it is a good thing. But in all probability this is a zero impact trade for the Cubs. They should never have made it, it's a waste of money. But then again it isn't my money so I really don't care. But the Cubs actions leading up to this is beyond stupid. They need power because their bench and most of the starters are either middle infielders or former middle infielders so they sign Womack (who is a dog) so they can get rid of Hairston (who is in the doghouse), so they can pick up a supposedly big bat. They did absolutely nothing but shuffle the deck chairs around. They didn't need to sign Womack to trade Hairston, getting rid of Hairston doesn't create any holes, and when it comes down to it they didn't even need to trade Hairston to get Nevin. Nevin was a roster spot dump for the Rangers. They needed the space and they were willing to pay for a huge amount of Nevins contract to get that space. They would have taken a 6 pack of bud lite for Nevin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                        They would have taken a 6 pack of bud lite for Nevin.
                        But we gave them Hairston, who isn't worth one warm bud lite, so we ripped them off.
                        Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Who cares if we ripped them off. If the trade is meaningless then it doesn't matter who got ripped off.

Comment

I wouldn't quite say it's meaningless.

Awfully damn close to it, but the fact that Hairston is no longer on the team puts enough upside in it to keep it from being a totally useless move. Nevin might possibly be worth one more win over the rest of the time the Cubs have him, Hairston certainly wouldn't.
                            Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Nevin's not a bad pick up really. He's a right handed bat with pop that can play first, but also can play at 3B, a little corner OF, and even catch in a pinch. He's not a great player that can turn this team around, but he fills the Cubs needs for a right handed power hitter that can play several positions. Nevin/Walker on the right side is a lot better than Perez/Walker. The only question I have is how much longer is he signed for? If the answer is anything beyond this year, then its a very, very bad move considering how much salary space he's eating up.
                              "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
                              - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
                              - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X