Cubs with a winning record in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Well, if they net Lester and Scherzer, of course. If they come with who they got...around .500 looks pretty good.
    the cubs actually did have a solid second half after dumping some of the replacement level players that epstein got to dump salary. the went 35-35 in the second half, I think that shows that the team did improve and some of the young guys did a good job.

of course some of the players might regress (arrieta, hendricks, castro, valbuena) but I think if they indeed net lester AND scherzer they might even play for a WC.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

If the cubs take a big step forward, who goes back then? Reds? Brewers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
        If the cubs take a big step forward, who goes back then? Reds? Brewers?
        Both. The Crew had the healthiest team in baseball with some crazy overachieving from guys like Scutaro and and Davis, and still only won 82 games. They aren't that good.

The Reds are declining with very little room to get better with so much money tied-up in declining/injured vets like Bruce, Phillips, and Votto, and a closer. They have have terrible OB% guys and their pitching is top-heavy.

The Cards, Pirates, and Cubs are younger, more talented, and at least for the Cards and Cubs have more financial flexibility.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

OK, here's my take on how things should play out. We have a glut of young IF prospects therefore I package Baez (I can hear the hissing now) and Jackson (plus $15 mil or so) for Hamels or possibly Ian Kennedy (he's available I hear) and a prospect. Sign Lester as a FA (certainly conceivable) and sign a veteran OF to play LF (Coghlan becomes a valuable 4th OF). Bryant and Russell probably start year in minors to save an arbitration year. (Not sure i'm in favor of this but it does make sense if you are looking to extend your "window of opportunity" when the team is really competitive. Sacrifices 2015 a bit but probably not gonna be full fledged contenders just yet anyway. Valbuena and maybe Watkins play early on, then around June 15 or so Bryant and Russell can be brought up. So here would be my Cubs lineup by July 1st.

C Castillo
          1B Rizzo
          2B Castro
          SS Russell
          3B Bryant
          LF Veteran OF acquired as FA (hopefully a solid bat)
          CF Alcantara
          RF Soler
          SP Lester
          SP Hamels or Kennedy
          SP Arrieta
          SP Hendricks
          SP Wood
          RP Grimm
          RP Wright
          RP Ramirez
          RP Vizcaino
          RP Strop
          RP Rondon (CL)

You have Coghlan and Valbuena off the bench amongst others and still have a reasonable budget to add another top FA or 2 in 2016 when we would certainly be contenders. Will all this come to fruition, doubtful ( a prospect or 2 probably busts) but it certainly is a conceivable scenario to a brighter future. I know some of you probably don't like Kennedy as much as I do, so substitute another SP. I love Scherzer but have some real concerns going forward (didn't look like the same dominating pitcher as the season progressed). I would hold off on signing him as a FA and save the money for 2016 when a deep talented pool of SPs should hit the FA market. I know you all have opinions so let's hear them.
          Take Solace in the knowledge that, whatever else can be said of you,you didn't trade Brock for Broglio

Comment

Originally posted by Kessinger#11 View Post
            OK, here's my take on how things should play out. We have a glut of young IF prospects therefore I package Baez (I can hear the hissing now) and Jackson (plus $15 mil or so) for Hamels or possibly Ian Kennedy (he's available I hear) and a prospect. Sign Lester as a FA (certainly conceivable) and sign a veteran OF to play LF (Coghlan becomes a valuable 4th OF). Bryant and Russell probably start year in minors to save an arbitration year. (Not sure i'm in favor of this but it does make sense if you are looking to extend your "window of opportunity" when the team is really competitive. Sacrifices 2015 a bit but probably not gonna be full fledged contenders just yet anyway. Valbuena and maybe Watkins play early on, then around June 15 or so Bryant and Russell can be brought up. So here would be my Cubs lineup by July 1st.

C Castillo
            1B Rizzo
            2B Castro
            SS Russell
            3B Bryant
            LF Veteran OF acquired as FA (hopefully a solid bat)
            CF Alcantara
            RF Soler
            SP Lester
            SP Hamels or Kennedy
            SP Arrieta
            SP Hendricks
            SP Wood
            RP Grimm
            RP Wright
            RP Ramirez
            RP Vizcaino
            RP Strop
            RP Rondon (CL)

You have Coghlan and Valbuena off the bench amongst others and still have a reasonable budget to add another top FA or 2 in 2016 when we would certainly be contenders. Will all this come to fruition, doubtful ( a prospect or 2 probably busts) but it certainly is a conceivable scenario to a brighter future. I know some of you probably don't like Kennedy as much as I do, so substitute another SP. I love Scherzer but have some real concerns going forward (didn't look like the same dominating pitcher as the season progressed). I would hold off on signing him as a FA and save the money for 2016 when a deep talented pool of SPs should hit the FA market. I know you all have opinions so let's hear them.
            Not giving up talent for ian kennedy...although, by jackson, I am guessing you are referring to brett jackson...to me he is never going to pan out

Comment

Brett Jackson is no longer with the Cubs. He got sent to the Diamondbacks during the season.

Nobody is going to take Edwin off the Cubs' hands unless the Cubs pay the full freight on him and then some.

Comment

I don't think russell will be up before september. he only played AA ball and missed much of the season in 2014 due to injury.

I see him starting in AAA or even AA ball and then get a cup of coffee in september to make it in 2016.
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

It really depends on what Addison does in the first half of the year, where the Cubs are at, what the Cubs did, and what the Cubs need. If the Cubs trade Castro this offseason, Addison is tearing it up in AA or AAA, Baez or whomever is struggling at SS, and the Cubs are winning then Addison will probably be up in June or July. Obviously if Addison is struggling or injured he won't be up regardless of where the Cubs are or what they need. If he is doing well but the Cubs have no real clear spot to play him he won't be up unless they need depth and the Cubs are winning. If the Cubs aren't winning we won't see Addison until 2016.

Comment

Not giving up talent for ian kennedy...although, by jackson, I am guessing you are referring to brett jackson...to me he is never going to pan out
                    Extremely presumptuous to think that they are going to snare bith Lester and another big free agent. At least one of thise guys will go to a team who is built to win in 2015, not 2016.

Comment

Extremely presumptuous to think that they are going to snare bith Lester and another big free agent. At least one of thise guys will go to a team who is built to win in 2015, not 2016.
                      When did I say that? Think you quoted wrong guy

Comment

When did I say that? Think you quoted wrong guy
                        Your hypothetical roster is showing Lester and Hamels/Kennedy. I know it is a hypothetical/wish-list scenario, but I was just saying that I would not hypothesis both guys here. That is all.

I guess Hamels/Kennedy would have to be a trade, so that does change things a bit.

Comment

Your hypothetical roster is showing Lester and Hamels/Kennedy. I know it is a hypothetical/wish-list scenario, but I was just saying that I would not hypothesis both guys here. That is all.

I guess Hamels/Kennedy would have to be a trade, so that does change things a bit.
                          Umm, never created a roster and never mentioned lester...only said I didnt want kennedy...again, wrong guy

Comment

Umm, never created a roster and never mentioned lester...only said I didnt want kennedy...again, wrong guy
                            Gotchya. Went back and saw you quoted somebody else. Okay...whoever posted it..my guess that the Cubs will not be able to net both still applies.

Comment

Never said we would snare both Lester (which we already have) and another big FA, the second piece would have to be through trade most likely,and there is still time in this off season for that. Read the posts more closely please, and ALWAYS quote the right guy...Thank you
                              Take Solace in the knowledge that, whatever else can be said of you,you didn't trade Brock for Broglio

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X