Jake Arrieta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Arrieta

I'm starting to think/hope that perhaps the light is starting to appear at the end of the tunnel. I think the Cubs could be a respectable and exciting team in 2015. I don't know if they will compete, but I think .500 is a real possibility, with bigger and better things in the future.

In this thinking, I took a look at Arrietta, who has been amazing this year. I was wondering if this was an illusion or a real turn around of a guy who used to be a top 100 prospect. I'm starting to think it could be the real deal. Arrietta's BAIP this is year is .290, just slightly worse than his career mark of .286, so he's not getting some sort of unsustainable luck there. His walk rates, K rates, HR rates, and GB rates have all improved to career bests. I didn't see anything that screamed to me that Arrietta was just lucky. So I started looking for theories as to why all of sudden Arrietta has put it all together this season. I found two interesting articles.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...o-build-around

His mechanics seemed to have improved noticeably. Look at the graphs of his release point comparing this year to the last two seasons, a much tighter cluster. Also his pitch selection has changed. His throwing his slider/cutter much much more. This fangraphs article goes into that in detail ....

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-ja...-jesse-chavez/

It appears Arrietta throws a baby slider/cutter hybrid or something and the Orioles have actively discouraged their younger pitchers from throwing cutters, so maybe getting away from that organization is just what he needed. Anyway, it looks like Jake is the real deal and should be a solid starter for us.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Originally posted by Windy City Fan View Post
    I'm starting to think/hope that perhaps the light is starting to appear at the end of the tunnel. I think the Cubs could be a respectable and exciting team in 2015. I don't know if they will compete, but I think .500 is a real possibility, with bigger and better things in the future.

In this thinking, I took a look at Arrietta, who has been amazing this year. I was wondering if this was an illusion or a real turn around of a guy who used to be a top 100 prospect. I'm starting to think it could be the real deal. Arrietta's BAIP this is year is .290, just slightly worse than his career mark of .286, so he's not getting some sort of unsustainable luck there. His walk rates, K rates, HR rates, and GB rates have all improved to career bests. I didn't see anything that screamed to me that Arrietta was just lucky. So I started looking for theories as to why all of sudden Arrietta has put it all together this season. I found two interesting articles.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...o-build-around

His mechanics seemed to have improved noticeably. Look at the graphs of his release point comparing this year to the last two seasons, a much tighter cluster. Also his pitch selection has changed. His throwing his slider/cutter much much more. This fangraphs article goes into that in detail ....

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-ja...-jesse-chavez/

It appears Arrietta throws a baby slider/cutter hybrid or something and the Orioles have actively discouraged their younger pitchers from throwing cutters, so maybe getting away from that organization is just what he needed. Anyway, it looks like Jake is the real deal and should be a solid starter for us.
    Real deal. He'll finish second or third in Cy Young voting this year.
    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

He's ranked as a top 10 player in Yahoo rankings.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X