Cubs farm system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs farm system

the hitting side looks really promising as they have a lot of good bats in almost any position. I don't know the depth of the system but the top guys look really. good.

what do you think about kyle schwarber? he was already promoted to high A ball after a few weeks. seems like he is a really good hitter.

and then they have baez, bryant, soler and almore with alcantara already being promoted.

the pitching side seems a little thin though.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Originally posted by dominik View Post
    the hitting side looks really promising as they have a lot of good bats in almost any position. I don't know the depth of the system but the top guys look really. good.

what do you think about kyle schwarber? he was already promoted to high A ball after a few weeks. seems like he is a really good hitter.

and then they have baez, bryant, soler and almore with alcantara already being promoted.

the pitching side seems a little thin though.
    I have a feeling that castro will become expendable in the near future with the depth the cubs have at short, most likely requesting pitching in return

Comment

The Cubs are pretty loaded with position player prospects. Soler, Almora, Baez, Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, and Alcantara are the headliners. Not all of them will pan out of course, buts nice to know there is that kind of depth in the organization and most of that talent is pretty near the majors.

Pitching wise, I'm higher of Kyle Hendricks than most people are. He's smart, keeps the ball on the ground, and doesn't walk people. We've got some decent looking bullpen arms as well. Our prospect starters are more uncertain, but the club has shown a knack for finding pitching on the cheap. Hammel and Feldman were signed off the trash heap and flipped for prospects. We got Jake Arrietta for one of these sign and flip guys and he's emerged to look like a legit quality starter. Strop, Rondon, and Rameriz were all acquired in trades where they were not the featured acquisition, but have still emerged looking like reliable bullpen arms. Of course, its not 100%. Edwin Jackson is exhibit A on how the front office is not infallible on pitching.

Its possible our "depth" at SS could be used to acquire some pitching. Not sure if it will be Castro that is moved. I wasn't real big on his chances after last season and I still don't think he's as good as some Cub fans seem to believe, but he is on pace to get career highs in HR, 2B, and BB, indicating improved power and plate discipline. If those trends continue he could develop very nicely. If it doesn't, he's still a solidly above average SS. He is only 24 so its not crazy to think he might develop past his current production. And thus far he has been very durable, another point in his favor. Baez is a high ceiling, high risk kind of guy. Russell, strikes me as perhaps the best bet of the three. He's got a pretty good SB% in the minors. Shows above average power for a SS and takes a fair amount of walks.

Its possible to build a lineup where all the middle infield prospects pan out and keep Castro. Baez at third, Russell or Castro at second with the other at SS, Alcantara in center, and Bryant moved to a corner OF spot. And its unlikely all of them will pan out, so I wouldn't guarantee Castro gets moved. If Baez comes up next year and plays well and Russell continues to develop and play well at AAA next year, while Castro remains around his current level of production, I could see moving Castro for pitching if the deal is right, but its not like the Cubs will be in a position where they HAVE to move one of them.
      "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
      - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
      - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

It always puzzles me when Cub fans suggest Baez move to 3B. The I-Cubs have moved him to 2B, where he played a lot until senior year of HS, AFAIK. It isn't likely that he is going to 3B. All scouting reports are suggesting that Bryant is doing better with the glove at 3B than expected. Once the Super 2 status is taken up and they bring the talent up early next year, the positions look like this-

C-Castillo
        1B - Rizzo
        2B - Baez
        SS - Castro
        3B - Bryant
        LF - Coughlan/Ruggiano
        CF - Alcantara
        RF - Soler

Provided they pan out and Russell continues to improve once being moved to AAA 2016 is the year the Cubs have to make a decision regarding SS. Is it Castro or Russell. Does Castro have enough pop in his bat by that time to become LF or is he moved? Or is Russell moved? Either way, even if those top 3 prospects work out with one being better than average, the only real question mark is LF. Of course, the hitters in the system then have time to develop as position players and also become objects of deadline trades when the club should be very competitive in 2016.

Starting pitching in 2015 (just educated guesses here)-

Kenta Maeda from Japan (they should consider going after him)
        Arrieta
        Wood
        Hendricks
        Wada

Jackson gets moved to the Pen as long relief, traded or released. They could resign Hammel since he is a rental for Oakland, too. I don't see Lester signing anywhere but Boston.
        Last edited by The Uncoach; 08-03-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Alcantara has been a middle infielder all his life and his best position is probably second base. He has played all of 17 games at CF in his professional life with all of those games happening this year. His best fit and his best chance to make it is by playing second base. If he's playing there and Bryant can handle third it creates some issues for the Cubs going forward if their middle infield prospects pan out. Eventually players are either going to bust or they are going to get traded.

Comment

I don't see Alcantara getting much of a chance at second. Baez will be there by June at the latest next year (barring a Castro injury or utter implosion). There is a decent chance Baez will bust. His K rates are worrisome for a minor leaguer. But even he does flop, there is still Russell waiting in the wings as well. If both of them bust, then Alcantara will get his shot at second, but that would be 2016 at the earliest and probably more like 2017 before the Cubs give up on both Baez and Russell.

The other scenario would be if only one of two SS prospects go belly up AND Alcantara is seen as a better option than Castro. They Castro could get shipped and Alcantara would be at second with either Baez or Russell. I don't think Castro's bat plays in LF. At best he could be a decent LF in his peak seasons, but that's a big drop in his value. All-star SS to average-ish LF. Better move is to trade him and get something of similar value at a position of need rather than let him waste away as a mediocre LF.

Personally, I think Baez is a fifty-fifty shot. I could easily see him really struggle or he could come out of the gates hot and never look back. He's a classic high risk, high reward prospect. Russell however I think has a good chance of being a solid SS or better. I envision him being perhaps similar to Castro with a bat but with better plate discipline (and therefor a better OBP) and better base running instincts. And probably a better glove too.
            - Sammy Sosa

Comment

The thing is is that Alcantara is already up and playing. If he's hitting they aren't going to sit him until 2016 and they aren't going to bench him to bring up another prospect.

Comment

I don't see the organization delaying Baez or Russell for Alcantara, unless he's hitting far beyond what I expect he's capable of. Alcantara strikes me more as a solid to good starter type prospect rather than potential all-star like Baez or Russell. I had assumed that's why they are trying him out in center, but it seems he's played exclusively at 2B now that Barney has been traded.

Barring injury or a horrific collapse, Baez will play somewhere on the infield for the club in 2015 by midseason at the latest. Given that Bryant (another guy that is as close to a lock as possible to be playing with the club by midseason) looks to be staying at 3B, that really only leaves 2B for Baez (unless Castro or Bryant got hurt).

Do you think the Cubs will trade Baez? He's the kind of guy that scares me. You could forever regret trading a SS with his power potential, but there is a very real chance he'll completely bust in the bigs as well. So you could end up regretting that you held on to him and didn't cash in and fill a need elsewhere. My guess is the club will hold on to all these middle infielders until there is a legit logjam that forces their hand. After all they could all flop. Prospects are shaky propositions, that's why they are prospects.
                Last edited by Windy City Fan; 08-03-2014, 09:45 PM.
                - Sammy Sosa

Comment

Is Alcantara is hitting like Barney they won't delay other players and he would probably be sent down to the minors beforehand. But if he is hitting he's staying up and at a spot. Now it could very well be that during the offseason they have him concentrate on being a CF or LF. I don't know, that is certainly possible but as of right now they are trying him out at second and if he plays the position well and continues to hit it is going to be very hard to have him move off the position. Baez himself has played less than 2 dozen games at second in his career and hasn't really shown himself to be capable of playing major league SS. His hitting also has to improve to really be a solid guy to bring up. I mean if he was hitting as good as Bryant and look to field second as well as Alcantara or better then I'd say it was a sure thing that Alcantara would get moved elsewhere in the offseason but that isn't the case right now. The Cubs aren't going to scrap a prospect that is performing so that another one who might perform be given a chance.

Comment

Baez K rate for I-Cubs continues to decrease.

Comment

Baez got called up today and will play tomorrow.

Comment

I like the move. Get him acclimated to the next level, so his struggles/adjustments can be made mostly this season.

Comment

I like that they aren't going to play games with the service time of some of their prospects. Gives the Cubs a better chance of doing something good next year and the year after that instead of punting the seasons away until 2016 or 2017.

Comment

Agreed. This is a clear sign that when they think a prospect is ready to experience the MLB, they will call him up.

Comment

With manny as his hitting coach, his swing is almost a carbon copy now...ramirez apparently helped in removing some holes in it

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X