Not Sure
    6.45%
    Phillies Vs D-Backs

Mason (5-3) Vs Nippert (0-0)

Originally posted by d-backsfan01
    Should the cubs fire dusty baker
    this has been debated ad nauseum.

Comment

I really don't think you can. After all, certain things he cannot control, like injuries. The Cubs seemed like world beaters until Derrek got hurt. When Derrek and Prior and Miller come back and if they are still losing, he will get fired. But I really do not think they will lose many games once the whole team is healthy.

Comment

Gotta see how they play when Lee and Prior get back. Ask me again after they return.
        Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

Comment

Where's the "yes, two years ago" option?

fact is... injuries or not... he doesn't know how to manage a baseball team. i think we can all see that by now. He can't play small ball, completely ignores walks/OBP, makes continually clueless moves, relies on his veterans far too much, and sees hidden values in useless rosin bags like Neifi. More than anything else, he leaves you shaking your head way too often...

Comment

Playoffs in season one...
            Just missing the playoffs in season two..
            And not as good, missing having a third straight winning season by a few games in season three...

Yea.. ok... let's fire him...
            BELIEVE

Comment

Or...

88 wins to make the playoffs in the weakest NL central in years

underachieving with the most talented Cubs roster in over 30 years - 89 wins

terrible mis-management on a daily basis and inability to even fill out a proper lineup. 79 wins. Playing .500 isn't close to a "winning season".

Dusty isn't the right manager for this team, he never was. I can't imagine anyone still thinks Dusty is a good manager. His stock went from being one of the best managers in the game while babysitting the Balco Bombers to the most overrated manager in the game with the Cubs.

Everyone knew he was a poor in-game manager, but he was supposed to bring some "intangibles".
              The ablility to run a smooth clubhouse and handle superstars - how'd that go in 2004?
              Players knocking down the door to play for him - Neifi, Womack and guys who know they wouldn't get the same playing time elsewhere. Furcal wasn't interested in giving a discount to play for the great Dusty Baker.
              beware of the censorship police

Comment

Originally posted by burger eater
                Furcal wasn't interested in giving a discount to play for the great Dusty Baker.
                and the cubs are better off without him (except for him running over D.Lee).

Comment

I agree, he's not worth $10 mil. per or whatever was offered, but that's beside the point.

Comment

I agree, he's not worth $10 mil. per or whatever was offered, but that's beside the point.
                    i thought it was because the cubs wanted to include some kind of clause about his DUI's.

Comment

the point on furcal was simple the only one that Furcal even considered giving a discount was Atlanta , that being where he had played his entire career with. That being said, saying that Baker couldnt get Furcal to take a discount is rather weak. Why would he take a discount from anyone except Atlanta (which he didnt even end up doing that). Come on now, I am not going to argue about whether Dusty should be fired or not. That is a matter of opinion , which we are all entitled to. But please don't use poor statements like the one involving Furcal as your reasoning.

Comment

Dusty is not a good manager. He's not a good baseball manager and he's not a good people manager. Game-wise his instincts and knowledge is terrible. Even worse he often appears be-fuddled, as well as dodges responsibility. His players like him because he allows them to do whatever they want, and they are never in the wrong with him.

He has a long history of weak leadership and letting the kids run the treehouse. Going back to the Giants, Bonds and his 'roid dealer having free run of the clubhouse, "sure Dusty, the OK came from up stairs". The Giants clubhouse became a "anything goes" house of horrors, especially with Bonds involved. Fast forward to the Sosa era, the boom box, corked bats, more suspicions of 'roids, and hissy fits by the Lil boys about Steve Stone............Both teams with failed expectations, talent loaded but no trophy, and the big game lost.

If a .500 season is whats called successful then rehire him, tho he's only .500 at achieving that. Remember, its not his fault!
                        "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

That being said, saying that Baker couldnt get Furcal to take a discount is rather weak.
                          Tell me why it's weak? I can tell you it's a fact, can you tell me why it's weak?

It's not Baker's job to recruit, but that was supposedly one of his strong points when he came to Chicago - players wanting to play for him. We've yet to see one FA come and offer a discount to play for "Dusty the player's manager".

Comment

It's not Baker's job to recruit, but that was supposedly one of his strong points when he came to Chicago - players wanting to play for him. We've yet to see one FA come and offer a discount to play for "Dusty the player's manager".
                            Actually in this offseason alone Baker attracted Eyre and Jones, not exactly top notch players but gamers. And then you have guys like Lee who extended his contract (and took less money) in part because he likes playing for Baker.
                            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                            Line Drive: .356
                            HBP: .342
                            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                            Intentional Walk: .176
                            Outfield Fly: .035
                            Groundball: -.101
                            Bunts: -.103
                            Infield Fly: -.243
                            Strikeout: -.287
                            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Tell me why it's weak? I can tell you it's a fact, can you tell me why it's weak?

I want to know besides Roger Clemens, who you can tell me took less money from the OTHER team, then from the original teams offer. If there is anyone you can think of, it would be someone that was quite disgruntled that everyone knew wouldnt be there next year. But, if you want me to sit there and name guys that Dusty Baker got during his time as a cub. Juan Pierre,D-Lee,Todd Walker,Zambrano,Dempster,Alou,Maddux,Barrett, and Jones. Now, I am not saying all these guys took discounts in their contracts with Chicago. Yet all these guys came and played for Baker , and stayed,or ARE staying because they believe in dusty. All these players came during his tenure. ANd all but Alou are still there. I don't think any of these guys would stick around if they thought Dusty was "dumb" , "or made very poor coaching decisions" ,"Or maybe, just the knowledge that you guys claim dusty lacks" .

Some of the names are people you might have arguements about but let me just say this. Maddux,Zambrano,and Lee, all have had chances to take larger money elsewhere, and chose to stick around. That has to mean something.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X