No announcement yet.

Dusty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking back at Nevins career he's only had good years when he's gotten 400+ at bats a year. In those years he's averaged .295 and produced 30 to 40+ HRs. The guy needs to get his swings, play steady, and play the field. Lee will be back by the All Star game so forget 1st base. Are the Cubs really going to sit Ramirez at 3'rd, "12 m a year" to play Nevin. Nevin played some outfield as a younger man but he's what? 36yo now? So where is he going to fit in? Maybe in LF he cant do to much damage but he clearly has to play a lot to be effective. Which is why his coming here isn't that exciting, "but not a bad move".

He's not going to be a good platoon player. And right now he shouldn't be sitting one game, or one at bat. I dont care how he is against rightys or whatever. I wouldn't sit Walker either. Right now the Cubs need bats, period! And most of all power, and experienced hitters drawing walks.

We'll see if Dusty can figure this out.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Nevin happens to be good in years in which he got a lot of at bats because those are the years in which he happens to be healthy and productive. It wasn't like they sat him and only used him as a PH in 2003 or 2005. If he is healthy he can be good if he isn't healthy it can be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
        Nevin happens to be good in years in which he got a lot of at bats because those are the years in which he happens to be healthy and productive. It wasn't like they sat him and only used him as a PH in 2003 or 2005. If he is healthy he can be good if he isn't healthy it can be bad.
        I dont know. I dont know his personal health record but its hard to picture him hurt 7 out of 10 seasons. I dont think he's going to be effective as a platooner or a pinch hitter but right now he's playing well and most definately needed. Its hard to find wrong with a trade where you didnt lose anything. He's capable of a SLG% of .500+ which is great.
        "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I'd half up the at bats in LF with Matt Murton, Murt is stale right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut
            I dont know. I dont know his personal health record but its hard to picture him hurt 7 out of 10 seasons. I dont think he's going to be effective as a platooner or a pinch hitter but right now he's playing well and most definately needed. Its hard to find wrong with a trade where you didnt lose anything. He's capable of a SLG% of .500+ which is great.

That is because you are loooking at his pre-established years to form your conclusion. Before 1999 he was considered a failed prospect moving around from team to team fighting for playing time. He then got hot in 1999 and became a full time starter. It is widely believed that around this time Nevin stopped drinking and partying and started focusing on baseball. Either that or steroids. but whatever it was he showed improvement and was given the job. He then did get hurt in 2002, 2003, and 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut
              Its hard to find wrong with a trade where you didnt lose anything.
              I see the gist of your remark, but too many people read the Nevin-for-Hairston trade as a good deal because Hairston was a weak-hitting, struggling player, while Nevin was a power-hitting, struggling player. But people need to keep in mind that this "trade" wasn't so much a trade as Texas wanting to dump Nevin's contract, and the Cubs decided to be the dumping ground. Texas took Hairston in return, but they probably would have agreed to anyone. This "trade" is much more like an expensive free agent purchase for the Cubs and an almost outright release for Hairston. The Cubs payroll is now over $100 million, making them a contender for one of the worst $100 million teams in recent history (right up there with the Mo Vaughn-led Mets of 2003 who lost 95 games).

Still, I agree with you. Nevin needs to play. He should be starting every day at first base, and Walker should move to his natural position at 2B. Neifi should be ordered to get on a separate bus that mysteriously gets lost on the way to the stadium. When Lee comes back, if Nevin is hot, he needs a shot in LF. I've rooted for Murton, really, but his numbers have been dismal (.719 OPS). To put this in perspective, Nevin was basically let go by the Rangers, yet Nevin sported the same dismal OPS as Murton (.722). The difference is Nevin can get hot. I don't think I can say the same about Murton.

Comment

The rangers picked up most of Nevins contract. The Cubs have to pay something like $375,000 on Nevin and that is it. On top of that I believe the Rangers also are going to be paying Hairston the rest of his contract for this year. So basically Cubs got a player for the bare minimum and they also got rid of a contract that would have cost the Cubs 1.5 million dollars. So in actuality the Cubs saved over a million dollars on this deal and got rid of one of their middle fielders for a player who could have some pop in his bat.

Comment

I stand corrected. I reread the AP news release and misread it entirely. The Cubs should still play Nevin more, and the Cubs are one of the worst $90 million dollar teams in recent history.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X