Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks Interested in Buying Cubs

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060610/...ball_cubs_dc_1

What would you thing about Banks owning the Cubs? Interesting.

Originally posted by G-String Blues
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060610/...ball_cubs_dc_1

What would you thing about Banks owning the Cubs? Interesting.
    Ernie Banks and Rudy Guiliani! That would shake up the Cubs.
    Best of luck to both of them!

Brownie31

Comment

Any change of ownership would be great, but I can't imagine that Ernie would contribute any great amount of money to the purchase. He'd probably just be the face of the ownership group. It's more comforting to have someone you're familiar with buying your favorite team.
      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

It would be a historic move. Even just as a figurehead having Ernie involved would be huge. But you have to wonder about the main shakers behind it all and what their main motivations are. I don't doubt Ernie's is to "win"! Ernie Banks is the classiest sports player I have ever personally met. They simply dont come any better then him.

To bad it aint going to happen.
        "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I guess Banks is sick and tired as well to see his club struggling like this.

Giuliani? Thought he was a Yankee fan?

But hey, if I had the opportinity to buy one of the most classic sports franchises I would do that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
            Any change of ownership would be great, but I can't imagine that Ernie would contribute any great amount of money to the purchase. He'd probably just be the face of the ownership group. It's more comforting to have someone you're familiar with buying your favorite team.
            Well said. We definitely need some front office changes, but Ernie Banks owning the Cubs... meh I'll pass.

Comment

This is somewhat unrelated, but I was thinking just today while watching Banks be interviewed with Tim McCarver that if the Cubs are to ever win the World Series, that they do so during Banks' lifetime. He deserves to see that and be a part of that.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                This is somewhat unrelated, but I was thinking just today while watching Banks be interviewed with Tim McCarver that if the Cubs are to ever win the World Series, that they do so during Banks' lifetime. He deserves to see that and be a part of that.

Same goes for winning it for Ron Santo and Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson, etc, players that gave their heart and soul for the City of Chicago. We keep hearing about people checking into buying the Cubs. Is the Trib lying when saying they aren't shopping the team? Or is it just people wanting to take the team to the next level, if so, hopefully the Trib gets the message that we are tired of it.

Comment

Ernie is not one of the great minds of our times. Considering he is 75 I can't see his involvement being anything but titular. Besides the Tribune hasn't really shown any interest in selling have they??
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                    Besides the Tribune hasn't really shown any interest in selling have they??
                    Not that I've seen public, but it's kinda weird that rumors keep flying about this person going to buy them and that person.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                      Ernie is not one of the great minds of our times. Considering he is 75 I can't see his involvement being anything but titular. Besides the Tribune hasn't really shown any interest in selling have they??
                      True but he's the most popular Cub ever and the perfect image man for a outside corporation wanting to buy the team. He's always worked for the Cubs hasn't he? And there is no denying the fact that he is loved by "All" Chicago baseball fans.

But its all a pipedream. The Trib aint selling when Wrigley is drawing an average of 39,000+ a game. And since they have a hand in the cookie jar of all Cubs related income imagine the profits they are making? Corporations don't sell businesses like that.
                      "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X