• Scouting Report on Jeff Samardzija, 5th Round Pick

Jeff Samardzija

Junior RHP
    Notre Dame
    Drafted: 149th Overall (5th round)
    Ht: 6’5
    Wt: 215 lbs
    Birthdate: 1/25/85

Samardzija was one of the top twenty talents in the draft, and he’s regarded as one of the hardest players in the draft to sign. Not due to money like so many other top talents, but due to his commitment to play his senior year as wide receiver for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. And if playing football wasn’t bad enough, he’s considered one of the top wide receivers in the country and likely a pick in the first two rounds of the 2007 NFL Draft. With QB Brady Quinn returning, there is a good chance that Samardzija puts up similiar if not better numbers than last year. Where he was an all-American and set school records with 77 receptions and 15 touchdown catches along with the third most receiving yards in team history with 1,249 receiving yards. Earning him a top three finalist for the Biletnikoff Award which goes to the nation's top college receiver.

Not only did the football vibe scare many teams away but the fact that he has a good chance of being drafted early in the NFL draft, and he wants to be a two sport athlete. Personally I commend Sam as he’s affectionately known as around campus, for his desire to keep his commitment to his football coaches and fellow teammates. But I’m just as worried as the next guy that he’ll get injured legging out a deep route from Quinn. Apparently, Chicago is confident enough that they can sign Sam to a back-loaded five year deal to try to entice him into a MLB career while letting him pursue his NFL dreams.

In 2004, his Freshman year: In 20 games, 6 being starts, he was 5-3 with a save, going 64 IP, giving up 50 hits, 21 earned runs, 5 hrs, 17 bb, 42 k, 2.95 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, .209 BAA. His ERA and BAA was good enough to be second in all of the Big East. Also during the year, he had a 22 IP scoreless streak, the second longest in Notre Dame history.

In 2005, his Sophomore year: In 15 games, 10 being starts, he's 8-1, going 78 2/3 IP, giving up 85 hits, 34 earned runs, 3 hrs, 30 bb, 56 k, 3.89 ERA, 1.46 WHIP, .272 BAA. He led the staff in wins and strikeouts, while ranking fourth in the Big East in Wins.

In 2006, his Junior year: In 15 starts, he was 8-2, going 97.2 IP, giving up 101 hits, 47 earned runs, 3 hrs, 37 bb, 61 k, 4.33 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, .272 BAA. In his last three starts he really started to turn it on, going at least 8 innings in all three starts, in that stretch he went 24 1/3 IP, giving up 21 hits, 9 earned runs, 2 hrs, 3 bb, 16 k.

Pitching: Sam is still raw in terms of his pitching style and selection. Considering that he’s never been a full-time pitcher in his life, yet the abilities are there, he’s solid talent. His fastball is of the sinking nature, which the Cubs have been high in drafting the last few years. This year his fastball was consistently hitting 91-94 mph with his max at 99 mph, which is stark improvement over his 89-92 mph fastball the season prior. In the Big East tournament, scouts clocked Jeff at 99 miles per hour twice, 98 three times, 97 six times and 96 eleven times. Also this past year, he ditched his weak curveball and mild splitter and instead went with a hard strong slider (81-84 mph) and added a changeup. Those additions immediately made him a better pitcher even if his line didn’t show it. He doesn’t have much control or command of his arsenal but he also doesn’t spend much of his free time working on baseball as most college pitchers do, so the Cubs feel they if they can get their hands on him they can make him a prime baseball talent.

Read the rest of the article on Cubshub.com

PS For those of you from the MySpace generation, here is Jeff Samardzija’s page.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

The average carer in the NFL is less then 4 years and its usually injuries that bring them crashing down. Unless the Cubs know something the rest of us dont I dont think its a good move picking a two sport player. Not that it really matters anyways. How often does a draft pick work out for the Cubs anyways?

Pity about the football thing. The kid sounds like hes hungry, lets just hope he comes to his senses and picks baseball.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut
      The average carer in the NFL is less then 4 years and its usually injuries that bring them crashing down. Unless the Cubs know something the rest of us dont I dont think its a good move picking a two sport player. Not that it really matters anyways. How often does a draft pick work out for the Cubs anyways?

Pity about the football thing. The kid sounds like hes hungry, lets just hope he comes to his senses and picks baseball.
      how often does a high draft pick work out, period. a 5th round pick isnt really all that bad. if he hadnt decided to stay with football, he would have been higher drafted.

Comment

I think he has a very good chance to be a first day pick in the NFL draft when he comes out too. Let's hope he does stick with baseball though.

Comment

Yeah, I hope he sticks with baseball as he has a good array of pitches, but I think he will play football besides being one of the top 10 overall talents going into next year's college football season, barring injury or a terrible year he should go in the first round

Comment

Well his advisor, Rodgers, said it was getting done this week. It's reportedly a 4 or 5 year deal where the big bucks are stashed in the back to entice him to play baseball. After the deal is signed, Samardzija will report to Boise which begins it's season on the 19th of June.
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X