Charting Marmol's first MLB start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charting Marmol's first MLB start

Despite the homerun power from Perez, Cedeno and Nevin, Cubs rookie Carlos Marmol was the star of the game. Marmol is the fourth Cubs rookie to make his debut this year following Marshall, Guzman, and Ryu. By far Marmol's appearance was the better than the other three. In 6 innings pitched, Carlos allowed only two hits, a double to Kearns in the 2nd inning and a homerun to David Ross in the 5th inning on an 0-2 count. But still Marmol's only run allowed came on Ross' solo shot, while he walked three and struck out seven. Of his seven strikeouts, 6 were swinging strikeouts, three were on changeups, two were on sliders, and one from a fastball and a curveball. Here's what his breakdown's looked like:

Inning Pit-Stk: FB (K), SL (K), CV (K), CH (K)
    1st 15-11: 9 (8) 6 (3) 0 0
    2nd 13-9: 7 (4), 5 (4), 1 (1), 0
    3rd 22-14: 13 (7), 4 (3), 3 (2), 2 (2)
    4th 16-10: 8 (5), 6 (4), 1 (1), 1 (0)
    5th 16-13: 6 (5), 4 (2), 3 (2), 3 (3)
    6th 17-8: 9 (5), 6 (2), 2 (2), 0
    Total 99-65: 52 (34), 31 (18), 10 (8), 6 (5)

Pitch MPH (times)
    Fastball (52): 87, 88, 89, 90, 92 (20), 93 (3), 94 (19), 95 (3), 96 (3)
    Slider (31): 78 (12), 79 (4), 80 (6), 81 (4), 82 (2), 85 (2), 86
    Curveball (10): 71, 75, 76 (2), 77 (2), 78 (2), 79, 80
    Changeup (6): 64, 71, 75, 85, 86 (2)

Of his 23 batters that he faced, he started 15 of them out on a first pitch strike. Of the 8 players that he fell behind on, Kearns hit a double, and he ended up walking Dunn and Lopez. Additionally, Marmol induced 7 ground outs compared to 4 flyouts.

Overall it was a great game for Marmol and he's likely to get at least a start or two before Wood or Prior return.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

first pitch strikes. thats the name of the game. you may not win everytime you get a lot of first pitch strikes, but it will certainly be enhanced.

Comment

For this kid to come into the bigs in his first game, and pitch like that in the bumper game against the Reds, was HUGE! Backing him with 12 hits was iceing on the cake. It was a night of good news and the Cubs needed it.
      "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I like to see that he was accurate when he went to his 2 "weakest" pitches.
        A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

I'm liking this kid more and more. He seems to like to go right at hitters.

Comment

I hope he can continue this success as the season goes on because the pitching staff needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jojo1691
              I hope he can continue this success as the season goes on because the pitching staff needs it.
              Well his next start he draws the surprise story of the year, the Detroit Tigers.
              What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
              Line Drive: .356
              HBP: .342
              Non-Intentional Walk: .315
              Intentional Walk: .176
              Outfield Fly: .035
              Groundball: -.101
              Bunts: -.103
              Infield Fly: -.243
              Strikeout: -.287
              It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

great breakdown Bob.

Marmol's s--- was just plain nasty. Those K pitches were unreal.

He really doesn't seem 6'2". Seems undersized to me.

Comment

Originally posted by workthecount
                  great breakdown Bob.

Marmol's s--- was just plain nasty. Those K pitches were unreal.

He really doesn't seem 6'2". Seems undersized to me.
                  probably because he is so damned scrawny.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X