Going to Wrigley tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Wrigley tonight

Yes...its true. After a 22 year Hiatus I am going back to Wrigley field tonight. Why? A few reasons. First off we got 2 free 1st row tickets near the dugout. #2, It might be my last chance to ever see Maddux pitch again, "Oswalt too" "have seen him at Comiskey and Milwaukee". #3 Its our first date without the kid in a long time. And #4, were eating a full dinner and wont contribute a dime to the Tribune coffers.

So its off to Wrigley. The ballpark of my youth. Its going to be really, really strange. Hell, I'm even going to root for the Cubs.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

i would be at wrigley tonight, but I'm too tired. too sore and just flat out exhausted, like death warmed over. gotta build up my strength for this weekend when its going to be 8 billion degrees at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
      i would be at wrigley tonight, but I'm too tired. too sore and just flat out exhausted, like death warmed over. gotta build up my strength for this weekend when its going to be 8 billion degrees at the game.

You think it's hot in the windiest city in the U.S???? Come down to Turner Field!!!!
      Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by HankAaron86
        You think it's hot in the windiest city in the U.S???? Come down to Turner Field!!!!
        well, we're not even in the top 25 for that. windy city was because of the politicians.

supposed to be like 96 on sunday. memorial day weekend was insanely hot too (93) and on the sunday, I was in between two REALLY large people. not fun when its that hot. at least on monday i was between two hot chicks.

Comment

Boy...............I had forgotten what a wonderful place Wrigley was to watch baseball. Had the Cubs/Maddux won it would have been better. Again they couldn't drive in the big hit, even worse because this was a winnable game. I mean to have an opposing pitcher, one that just came off the DL and is hitting .133, to get two hits against you, including a double that beatya? Man thats tough!

Pierre actually had a better at bats then usual. In the 1st he lined a shot, only right at Lamb. He got a hit and took almost all his at bats to 2-2 or 3-2. I think he's going to snap out of this. Ramirez had a few good at bats. Cedeno hit a laser for a triple. Barrett is seeing the ball great, Neifi is Neifi tho he had a great defensive play.

In the first row it looked like Maddux had a play at home on that bunt in the 2'nd. Between that and Oswalt getting two hits? Thats a tough way to lose. Maddux kept most of the Astros on the ground but the ball kept finding holes.

At least I didn't miss anything by not staying home and watching the Sox. The Tigers and the Tribe lost, luckily. All in all an enjoyable evening. When you have seats like that, especially in a close to the game ballpark, its an entirely different experience.
          "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I was there.

We made a lot of contact. Worked the count a lot too. I was impressed.

Pierre actually looked too hesitant to me.

I disagree about Ramirez's at bats. He never worked the count and tried to do too much with bad pitches.

Nevin is who really impressed me both offensively and defensively.

We made tons of contact on Oswalt. I was impressed with our offense as a whole. Had Murton and Rammy not killed those three rallies we could have and should have put up about 8.

Comment

Yes, a lot of good wood on the ball. Ramirez got two hits and an RBI, not bad considering they were pitching around him. Jones looked terrible at the plate. That one strike out on the off-speed, with runners on, he looked bad. Nevin looked good, but they are going to have to play him daily and get him swings for him to produce. Where was Todd Walker? They are leaving all these runners on base and playing a .210 hitter at 2nd instead of Walker? Is Baker mad? But generally yes, the Cubs DID show patience at the plate and saw better pitches because of it.

Watching Barrett swing the bat makes you realize how much they are going to miss him during his suspension. No more stupidity Todd, for your teams sake. Finally I can see how Maddux won so many Gold Gloves in his years. The man is a defensive marvel and this is under-appreciated in the HOF. Most of all among pitchers. I wonder how many games he's won thru the years on the strength of his glove?
              Last edited by Whitesoxnut; 06-15-2006, 05:31 AM.

Comment

because walker is like a .208 hitter or something like that against oswalt. they said that on the broadcast last night. not that he plays much at 2nd when maddux is on the mound since he has less range than neifi, even with neifi being worse than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
                  because walker is like a .208 hitter or something like that against oswalt. they said that on the broadcast last night. not that he plays much at 2nd when maddux is on the mound since he has less range than neifi, even with neifi being worse than usual.
                  Well you really have to admire Bakers brilliance His first two hitters are batting .241 and .208 respectfully. Thats .224 together, and here it is a few weeks from the ASG, they are 12 back, and he's still letting these two leadoff. Maybe Dusty is like the scientist that said the universe is expanding and nobody believed him, Edwin Hubble right? Maybe the rest of us are to stupid to see his master plan and brilliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut
                    Yes, a lot of good wood on the ball. Ramirez got two hits and an RBI, not bad considering they were pitching around him. Jones looked terrible at the plate. That one strike out on the off-speed, with runners on, he looked bad. Nevin looked good, but they are going to have to play him daily and get him swings for him to produce. Where was Todd Walker? They are leaving all these runners on base and playing a .210 hitter at 2nd instead of Walker? Is Baker mad? But generally yes, the Cubs DID show patience at the plate and saw better pitches because of it.

Watching Barrett swing the bat makes you realize how much they are going to miss him during his suspension. No more stupidity Todd, for your teams sake. Finally I can see how Maddux won so many Gold Gloves in his years. The man is a defensive marvel and this is under-appreciated in the HOF. Most of all among pitchers. I wonder how many games he's won thru the years on the strength of his glove?
                    Well, if we had played Walker, where would we have played Neifi, the team MVP?

Comment

Wrigley Field

I am planning a trip to Wrigley Field. My wife and I are trying to hit all the ballparks in the majors. Anyone from the Chicago area, where would be a good area or hotel to stay in that is somewhat accessible to some attractions and O'Hare airport. I've been to Chicago a couple of times when I was a kid, but I don't know where we stayed. I know it was in the downtown area near some of the popular restaurants, but don't know for sure. Any ideas would be a great help, thanks. Not worried at this point about U.S. Cellular because the Sox are out of town the time we are going.
                      "The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault. -Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by nosoupforyou
                        I am planning a trip to Wrigley Field. My wife and I are trying to hit all the ballparks in the majors. Anyone from the Chicago area, where would be a good area or hotel to stay in that is somewhat accessible to some attractions and O'Hare airport. I've been to Chicago a couple of times when I was a kid, but I don't know where we stayed. I know it was in the downtown area near some of the popular restaurants, but don't know for sure. Any ideas would be a great help, thanks. Not worried at this point about U.S. Cellular because the Sox are out of town the time we are going.
                        Strange, I used to know the area around Wrigley like the back of my hand. When I drive down Halsted or Broadway nowadays its hard to believe these were the same corners we used to chase the transvestite whores from. I couldn't even tell you where the good restaurants are around the place now. Well there's two real good Italian joints. One about 3221 on Clark street, I forget the name but its a small joint and you have to get there right when it opens, its across from the Dunkin donuts and the guitar joint on Clark a little north of Belmont, "east side of street, maybe 3300 block". Oh yeah, its name is "Mia Francesca". The other is a joint about 2831 on Clark, east side of Clark north of Diversey. This place is fabulous but they serve family style and give you enough food to feed a tribe of pygmies.

Chicago is the worlds pizza capitol. The best in that area used to be "Pats pizza" about 3709 N Western, "very good thin", "CHGO pizza" on 3059 N Sheffield is crap". Theres also a Leona's and Lou Malnottis at Sheffield and Belmont now. Lou's has a great deep dish, "with an awsome sausage". I couldn't even tell you about hotels. The only ones I ever stayed in were while in high school, and you had to check behind the pictures for hidden cameras.

As for drinking? There are plenty of joints around the ballpark to get a load on. Some of the ones on Halsted or Broadway will get "you" more stares from men then your wife does but the ones on Clark are generally straight. "Murphy's" at Sheffield and Waveland used to have good burgers. I'd leave the Tiger cap off your head tho, and wouldn't wear it if you sit in the bleachers either. Its fine anywheres else in the ballpark.
                        Last edited by Whitesoxnut; 06-24-2006, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Im sorry, that was "Pete's Pizzaria" at 3709 N Western. "Pats Pizza" is at about 3129 N Sheffield, right north of Chicago Pizza. Petes is worth the extra ride, it used to be a great pie. Pats has a real good thin too, and his other Italian food is pretty good.

Comment

Stop going to Wrigley, that will hit the Trib in the pocket and that's what we need so they will sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
                              Stop going to Wrigley, that will hit the Trib in the pocket and that's what we need so they will sell.
                              they're already 95% sold out for the season. so whats the point of that?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X