Prior starting Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior starting Sunday?

Theres speculation he may be on the mound for Sundays game against the Tigers. MSNBC is reporting it. Frankly I'd hate to see Marmol or Marshall get sent down for either of the two malinger'ers, Wood or Prior.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

marmol would still be pitching saturday. marshall will also be pitching again. I'd expect aardsma would be the one sent down when Prior comes off the DL.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
      marmol would still be pitching saturday. marshall will also be pitching again. I'd expect aardsma would be the one sent down when Prior comes off the DL.
      When you look at the 2006 Cubs on paper the entire situation makes you shake your head. Imagine this team with no injuries playing as they are capable of? As it is I'm going to make $500 off of them not going to the playoffs.

Why did I bet against them? It wasnt because "on paper" they didn't have the talent because they did. It wasnt because i hate the Cubs because I don't, just the ownership. I bet against them for several reasons, #1 being Dusty Baker. I don't think he's a good manager. In 2003, after the Bartman caper, when he didn't go out on the mound and settle his team I said to myself, "this guy sucks". The 2nd reason I bet against them is because I didn't think Wood or Prior would make a contribution this year. I still dont! The year is almost 1/2 over and Prior hasn't thrown a pitch in the bigs yet, and here Wood is again, uninjured on the DL with talk about putting him in the bullpen "which they dont need".

This is a pattern that has repeated itself to many times in the past and is why I want Marmol and Marshall to get their playing time in. The Cubs have to get rid of Wood and Prior and build a team from scratch again. The 3'rd reason is because the Cubs bet the farm on several key position players from outside. I know this is common in baseball nowdays but it still makes me nervous. The play of J. Jones and Pierre has justified this nervousness. Regardless of his hitting did you see Jones throw that ball in last night?

Lastly I saw the Cub bench as being weak, as well as their defense. Ramirez is only adequate at 3'rd, Cedeno is going to be a real good SS but he's young and un-proven, 2nd base is a black hole, 1'st is Lee "until he gets injured", Barrett is a fine catcher "until he gets suspended then they are screwed", the outfield is fairly weak defensively. J. Jones arm is an embarrassment and Murton is at best adequate. I dont know whats going on with Pierre tho he's a fine fielder "the guy should be on the All Star team".

So I saw holes in the "paper team" that maybe dedicated Cub fans didnt. I saw it more as a team designed to draw fans then to win. The biggest hole I saw was Wood and Prior, and the 16 m spent on two medical cases. They are the biggest drag on the team and the biggest reason I bet against them. I also saw their farm system as being weak, tho Marshall and Marmol have been pleasant surprises.

Mostly , Mostly I saw a ownership that didnt give a damn about winning or losing.
      "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut
        When you look at the 2006 Cubs on paper the entire situation makes you shake your head. Imagine this team with no injuries playing as they are capable of? So I saw holes in the "paper team" that maybe dedicated Cub fans didnt. I saw it more as a team designed to draw fans then to win.
        This team on paper was picked to finish 3rd by most analysts even with a healthy Wood/Prior and Lee. There were holes all around, and Hendry gave into the pressure of "winning now". Why do you think Pierre was traded for, even losing two of our top pitching prospects. Why do you think we bought two of the better pen options available despite our depth of relief pitching in the minors. This team was setup to fail from the get-go of the season.

Mostly , Mostly I saw a ownership that didnt give a damn about winning or losing.
        If they didn't care at all they wouldn't spend 100 million on the current roster. So they do care enough to throw the cash down and give an "appearance" of wanting to contend. They could just as easily spend 60 million and still draw huge revenues.
        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
        Line Drive: .356
        HBP: .342
        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
        Intentional Walk: .176
        Outfield Fly: .035
        Groundball: -.101
        Bunts: -.103
        Infield Fly: -.243
        Strikeout: -.287
        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Hopefully, when Prior returns, Rusch gets demoted to the bull pen and Aardsma will go back to the minors. Kinda almost wish they would just let Rusch go.

Comment

If they didn't care at all they wouldn't spend 100 million on the current roster. So they do care enough to throw the cash down and give an "appearance" of wanting to contend. They could just as easily spend 60 million and still draw huge revenues.
            I dont think so. You arent going to sell $40 bleacher seats unless you at least give the appearance of trying to win. Signing some "names" and spending money at least gives the "appearance". Do they "want to contend"? You really have to wonder dont you? All sports teams want to make money but very few are in the cant lose category of the Cubs. I suspect the ones in power from the Tribune really could care less, re-signing Hendry proved that. Re-signing Baker will prove it more.

Anyway weve been thru all this before. Today is a day to enjoy Zambrano pitching. If I were the Cubs Prior is the last one I'd rush back, "did they learn nothing from the Wood fiasco"?

Comment

I dont think so. You arent going to sell $40 bleacher seats unless you at least give the appearance of trying to win. Signing some "names" and spending money at least gives the "appearance". Do they "want to contend"? You really have to wonder dont you? All sports teams want to make money but very few are in the cant lose category of the Cubs. I suspect the ones in power from the Tribune really could care less, re-signing Hendry proved that. Re-signing Baker will prove it more.
              The Cubs have sold expensive bleacher seats before Hendry and before Baker arrived in town. They've sold plenty of tickets while having subpar teams and noticably out talented in names, so your argument doesn't really hold weight. In 2002 we were at 75 million in salary (12th in MLB) yet we still attracted 2,693,096 fans and once again in 2001 we were at 64 million (15th in MLB) and we had 2,779,465 show up, the only major draw, Sammy Sosa. The Tribune could have very easily carried over the same formula they had during the 90's, spend in the middle of the pack, while raking in gigantic revenues. Instead they've started spending in the upper 1/3 of MLB and the fans have responded by coming more to the games as they win.

In comparision to the the last three years where Chicago has dramatically increased their investments in terms of salaries. In 2003, we were touching 80 million, 11th in baseball and had a record (at the time) 2,962,630 show up to the Confines that season while having a record of 88-74. In 2004, 90 million in salary, ranking 7th in MLB and 3,170,154 fans, while having a slightly better record of 89-73. In 2005, 105 million (includes money to make Sosa go away) ranking 3rd in MLB, while attendance had a slight drop to 3,099,992 in a 79 win season. And this year we're at 95 million, 7th in MLB. In terms of correlation, there is a still a strong case that winning=more fans in seats even with the Cubs. So yeah the Tribune cares about winning because it equates with more fans that generate more money.
              What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
              Line Drive: .356
              HBP: .342
              Non-Intentional Walk: .315
              Intentional Walk: .176
              Outfield Fly: .035
              Groundball: -.101
              Bunts: -.103
              Infield Fly: -.243
              Strikeout: -.287
              It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

I wonder about these payroll numbers because the Sox are supposedly #2 in payroll, or 3, at 104,000,000 while the Cubs are 7'th at 94 m. However the Cubs are paying all of their 94 m while the Sox organization is only paying out 84 m of the 104 m because other teams are paying chunks of salaries, so in reality the Sox are behind the Cubs in salaries even tho they aren't counted as being so. The 2004 record, slightly better then '03, doesn't really reflect the complete disaster that befell the Cubs at the end of the season that year. So I have a hard time looking back at '04 and calling it a winning season. Then of course was '05, and soon to follow '06, that, with disaster looming, is still finding 40,000+ in the ballpark on weekdays.

My thesis in the Trib considers the current formula a success because they are making money. Should they do something like lower the payroll and go with young players/manager/coaches in a long term development strategy, as many savvy baseball people are saying, they figure they run the risk of lower attendance and lower profits. Anyway, I figure this is how cooperate drones operate. A Cuban or Steinbrenner would care less about money and get the best possible team he could because He'd want to win.......Period!!!!

Anyway.........what were we talking about? Prior???
                Last edited by Whitesoxnut; 06-15-2006, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Looks like Prior will definitely be starting.

From rotoworld.com:

Mark Prior (shoulder) is expected to be officially announced as Sunday's starter following a bullpen session on Friday.
                  Prior felt good after throwing on Thursday and if he remains pain-free following Friday's session he will start against the Tigers on Sunday.

Comment

Well, Rusch has given up 3 runs to this point. He needs to be demoted.....just as I was typing, he gave up a double off the wall in right. He has worn out his welcome also, even though the wind is blowing out today.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
                      Well, Rusch has given up 3 runs to this point. He needs to be demoted.....just as I was typing, he gave up a double off the wall in right. He has worn out his welcome also, even though the wind is blowing out today.
                      Guzmans stuff looks great. With the wind blowing out the Cubs have a shot today if they can shut down the Tigers.

Comment

Guzmans stuff looks great. With the wind blowing out the Cubs have a shot today if they can shut down the Tigers.
                        who woulda thunk it that he would shut em down? he hadnt done anything his other attempts at pitching so far this year.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X