• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammerin Hank
    Slave to the Game
    • Aug 2002

Wood's Contract

When's Kerry's contract up? I want to see that $12 million spent on some prospects.
    2016 World Series Champions
  • Ubiquitous
    stats moderator
    • Aug 2005

At the end of the year.

Comment

• KCGHOST
      • Dec 2003

It willbe real interesting to see how the Cubs faithful and the Tribune Company view paying big bucks to keep the oft-injured, probably overvalued, fireballer around.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

• RBi
        Is it next year yet?
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by KCGHOST
        It willbe real interesting to see how the Cubs faithful and the Tribune Company view paying big bucks to keep the oft-injured, probably overvalued, fireballer around.
        I would be shocked to see them risk paying this much next year, and I really don't see him signing with another team next year at the 10+million mark... His value is still able to be that high, but he will need to at least have one season where his arm can stay healthy the whole way, and I just don't see that happening....

This is a sad story, with what will more than likely have a sad ending... He amazed us all with his 20 K game in 1998, and really helped get us where we were in 2003....

I wish him well where ever he might go, and it would be fitting if he went somewhere and pitched for 10 more seasons, winning the Cy young award a couple times and World Series MVP a time to 2.... now wouldn't that just be great!

So everyone can criticize how the Cubs organization "gave up on him too soon..."

ARGH..

sometimes I wonder...... Why? just Why?
        BELIEVE

Comment

• Whitesoxnut
          • May 2006

This is a sad story, with what will more than likely have a sad ending... He amazed us all with his 20 K game in 1998, and really helped get us where we were in 2003....
          Its sad for Cub fans. Who were hoping a top tier starting rotation would take them to the promised land. I wonder how sad it is for Wood? Who has made....what? Around 50 million in salary alone since coming into the bigs?, not counting the $500 autographs? I cant help but think Kerry will find a way to survive life after baseball.

I'm not busting anyones chops here. I'd say the same thing about anyone in sports who made that kind of dough. "Sad" is relative when your making 11 m a year. I'm even more busted up inside with the tragic story of Barry Bonds
          "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

• rockin500
            Cubs Fan
            • Jan 2003

well, hes going to get a nice parting gift regardless of what happens. a 3.5 mil buyout? not shabby.

Comment

• Lipsander
              Sell to Mark "Cub"an
              • Jan 2006

He said he would like to remain a Cub in the future. If he does, it will be at a low salary, incentive laden contract, but I doubt he would agree to that. Like usual, he'll sign somewhere and win a couple Cy Young awards, just my Cubs' luck.

Comment

• Whitesoxnut
                • May 2006

More bad news about Wood. He had problems in a simulated throw and his year/future is in serious jeopardy. Right now you have to think the best thing the Cubs could do is cut the strings completly with this guy and let the young guys get innings in this year.
                "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

• TRIPxCORE
                  • Mar 2006

If he leaves, he will become a top flight starter wherever he goes. I just know it. It's the Cubs curse. Whenever someone leaves the Cubs, they become great players. Look at Patterson and Garciaparra this year. Both in the top 10 of power rankings this season for their positions.

I think it would be perfect if they made Kerry Wood our closer. Think about it, he pitched a sim game the other day and was tired after 60 pitches. It's pretty clear he can't be an effective starter anymore but he has closers type stuff with that great fastball and slider. As long as he maintains control, he would flourish in that role. I say make him the closer and trade Dempster to someone looking for a decent closer.

Man, they should make me the coach!
                  Last edited by TRIPxCORE; 06-21-2006, 11:48 PM.
                  Tinker, Evers, Chance & Steinfeldt: The nucleus of our elite World Series teams!!!!

Comment

• Whitesoxnut
                    • May 2006

The problem with the closer scenerio is it takes him to long to warm his arm up. Now you risk sending him out before he's ready and you just risk more injury.

Comment

• rockin500
                      Cubs Fan
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TRIPxCORE
                      If he leaves, he will become a top flight starter wherever he goes. I just know it. It's the Cubs curse. Whenever someone leaves the Cubs, they become great players. Look at Patterson and Garciaparra this year. Both in the top 10 of power rankings this season for their positions.

I think it would be perfect if they made Kerry Wood our closer. Think about it, he pitched a sim game the other day and was tired after 60 pitches. It's pretty clear he can't be an effective starter anymore but he has closers type stuff with that great fastball and slider. As long as he maintains control, he would flourish in that role. I say make him the closer and trade Dempster to someone looking for a decent closer.

Man, they should make me the coach!
                      he also cant pitch on back to back days. he certainly couldnt pitch 3 days in a row.

Comment

• Lipsander
                        Sell to Mark "Cub"an
                        • Jan 2006

It looks bad for Kerry and I feel bad for him. He'll have a "Nomar" contract next year, loaded with incentives.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X