Another sign the Cubs don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sign the Cubs don't get it

Today they announced that Michael Barrett will have to serve the full 10 game suspensions and you know what is truly stupid about all this? It is that Barrett has been hurt and has not played the last 3 games before this decision. So what was the best case scenario? They appeal the suspension and Barrett gets his suspension reduced by two games? By three games? If they had simply dropped the suspension as soon as the Cubs knew he was hurt then todays game would have been the fourth game into a 10 game suspension. Instead it is simply the first game and now Barrett's will end up missing a total of 13 games instead of just 10. Perhaps I missed something but this is just another side of how poorly thought out the running of this team is.

Nobody could figure this out? As soon as I heard Barrett tweaked his back I thought for sure they would drop the appeal. Then when he wasn't in the lineup I started thinking these fools are not even thinking this through. By doing nothing Barrett ends up missing 13 games instead of 10 and even if they somehow got it dropped to 7 or 8 games he still misses 10 games. The Cubs cost themselves 3 games of Barrett. Yes that doesn't mean much and yes so far Blanco has done good but this is just stupid. You don't know heading into this that one of the worst hitting catchers is going to suddenly start hitting. The Cubs costs themselves 3 games of their starting catcher and they don't seem to have a clue.

As if we needed another sign. You're right though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
      Today they announced that Michael Barrett will have to serve the full 10 game suspensions and you know what is truly stupid about all this? It is that Barrett has been hurt and has not played the last 3 games before this decision. So what was the best case scenario? They appeal the suspension and Barrett gets his suspension reduced by two games? By three games? If they had simply dropped the suspension as soon as the Cubs knew he was hurt then todays game would have been the fourth game into a 10 game suspension. Instead it is simply the first game and now Barrett's will end up missing a total of 13 games instead of just 10. Perhaps I missed something but this is just another side of how poorly thought out the running of this team is.

Nobody could figure this out? As soon as I heard Barrett tweaked his back I thought for sure they would drop the appeal. Then when he wasn't in the lineup I started thinking these fools are not even thinking this through. By doing nothing Barrett ends up missing 13 games instead of 10 and even if they somehow got it dropped to 7 or 8 games he still misses 10 games. The Cubs cost themselves 3 games of Barrett. Yes that doesn't mean much and yes so far Blanco has done good but this is just stupid. You don't know heading into this that one of the worst hitting catchers is going to suddenly start hitting. The Cubs costs themselves 3 games of their starting catcher and they don't seem to have a clue.
      his appeal was already heard on friday (in the morning), so there really wasnt anything they could do. i was under the impression that once the appeal was heard, everything was out of the cubs hands. Its the arbiters decision at that point. If they thought thursday night that he couldnt play until monday, then you may have point, but its not like that was known. Not to mention that the team was notified that it would be midweek before the decision came down. Not sure when monday becomes middle of the week, though.

besides, who cares? he's out one way or the other. Its not worth getting bothered over under the circumstances.

i think you're overreacting to an unimportant deal.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that too Ubiquitous. I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
          his appeal was already heard on friday (in the morning), so there really wasnt anything they could do. i was under the impression that once the appeal was heard, everything was out of the cubs hands. Its the arbiters decision at that point. If they thought thursday night that he couldnt play until monday, then you may have point, but its not like that was known. Not to mention that the team was notified that it would be midweek before the decision came down. Not sure when monday becomes middle of the week, though.

besides, who cares? he's out one way or the other. Its not worth getting bothered over under the circumstances.

i think you're overreacting to an unimportant deal.

I believe one can drop an appeal at any time they want before the decision comes down. It is only an unimportant deal because the Cubs are losing, so really anything is going to be unimportant. If they were winning or in a close race maximizing every game situation becomes important. By not thinking it through they cost themselves 3 games of their best catcher and the fall back to the second string is pretty far.

Comment

It certainly not a big deal considering the Cubs plight this year, but it does point to some modest lack of forethought.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
              I believe one can drop an appeal at any time they want before the decision comes down. It is only an unimportant deal because the Cubs are losing, so really anything is going to be unimportant. If they were winning or in a close race maximizing every game situation becomes important. By not thinking it through they cost themselves 3 games of their best catcher and the fall back to the second string is pretty far.
              i thought it was that you couldnt drop it once it was already heard, but the decision hasnt been handed down. oh well. maybe i was wrong on that factor. If thats the case that you can drop it after the appeal is actually heard, it would indicate some, but with the circumstances the way they are, its not as big of a deal as it could be.

if things were closer, I'm sure they may have thought of that.

Comment

It's definately no biggie so far, seeing how Hank White has been playing.

Comment

So why have Tony Womack then? If the Cubs think it is no big deal because it won't matter anyhow why are they giving playing time to players who will be of no value to the Cubs in the future?

Comment

But he will be of value in the future... he's your 2007 Cubs 2nd baseman.
                    beware of the censorship police

Comment

The Cubs will fill 2B next year via free agentcy. I hope they do not try and fill it with sweet ol' "Chicken Legs" Neifi Perez.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X