Mariotti's Latest Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariotti's Latest Rant

What else is there to say? I started calling for Baker's job last season, realizing he is too sensitive to criticism, too passive with his players and too oblivious to the unique pressures of Cubdom. I've written that team president Andy MacPhail, a beancounting blueblood who should have been replaced years ago, made a big mistake in extending Hendry's contract in April. I've e-mailed Mark Cuban and asked if he'd be interested in rescuing the Cubs from Tribune Co.'s 25-year ownership run -- and he quickly wrote back and said yes, he would, if the Tribsters ever do us a favor and sell the team. Hey, short of collaborating with the Chandler family in Los Angeles and trying to run Dennis FitzSimons out of his exultant Tribune perch, I've done all I can do. <--- Jay Mariotti

That was a snip from this article from Jay Mariotti http://www.suntimes.com/output/mario...spt-jay20.html

I really like that he tried to get Cuban to buy the Cubs. I knew someone had contacted him, but didn't know who.
    Last edited by Lipsander; 06-20-2006, 11:57 AM.

Love Mariotti. IMO the most entertaining sportswriter working today. He cares more about the Cubs than the Cubs do.

Comment

Ask any monkey and they will tell you that if you throw enough crap, eventually something will stick.

Jay Mariotti is a complete clown, and has been a clown for as long as he has been Jay Mariotti. He only says what he thinks people want to hear at the time, and of course, the louder he says something, the more true it must be. He doesn't care a lick about the Cubs, he cares about moving copies and getting heard by as many people possible.

And because I like animal analogies, here's another. Mariotti is the blindest of squirrels, and even he finds the occasional nut.
      Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic
        Ask any monkey and they will tell you that if you throw enough crap, eventually something will stick.

Jay Mariotti is a complete clown, and has been a clown for as long as he has been Jay Mariotti. He only says what he thinks people want to hear at the time, and of course, the louder he says something, the more true it must be. He doesn't care a lick about the Cubs, he cares about moving copies and getting heard by as many people possible.

And because I like animal analogies, here's another. Mariotti is the blindest of squirrels, and even he finds the occasional nut.
        I agree 100%.

Comment

You don't find any truth in any of that though?

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
            he also says that brenly should be the manager of the cubs.

and brenly is going to help, how?

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500

By not playing Neifi most of the time.

Comment

Appearently you didn't get either analogy, so I guess I'll just spell it out for you in plain English.

Yes, I do agree with some of what you clipped from his article, but that is completely irrelavant. He changes his opinions as often as I change my boxers, which is twice a week at the least. He merely opens his mouth and craps out whatever it is that people want to hear. So it simply doesn't ever matter what he says, because if you listen to him long enough, he will not only contradict himself, but then re-contradict himself, and then take a completely opposing angle from any of his previous ones.

So there is a small bit of that article that I agree with. So what? I'm not about to start sticking my nose near all of his turds just because this particular one doesn't stink too bad.
                Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Originally posted by otis89
                  By not playing Neifi most of the time.
                  brenly was not a good manager in arizona. his world series win was due to riding two guys to the title.

Comment

Mariotti has been wrong as often as he's been right. I tend to listen more to guys who actually played the game. This one was a no-brainer however. At the seasons beginning it could only not be seen by a loyal baseball club fan, or even still. Don't feel bad, I disillusioned myself for years. First with the Cubs and then with the Sox.

For the first half of my life I wanted nothing but the Cubs in the WS. The 2'nd half the Sox. Now I'd like to croak secure in my death throws knowing I saw both teams win a trophy, best would be against each other "with the Sox winning" . All Hell would break lose in this city if the Cubs ever did it. Even if they just won the pennant, "Yes we elders still call it that".

Cubs fans should always be made to feel welcome at Comiskey, and vica-versa. A CHGO baseball fan is a CHGO baseball fan.
                    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I'll tell you exactly how. I watched last night, we had a runner on first with less than two outs at least 3 or 4 times and we were down by 2. Did we ever move the runner over to second? Nope. If you are having trouble scoring runs, you have to move runners over in scoring position, but Dusty sees it differently. Plus, Bob Brenly has won a Championship, Dusty will not. I'm not saying I want Dusty out and Brenly in. I would like to freaking have a manager that is strict on his team with the fundamentals of baseball.
                      Last edited by Lipsander; 06-21-2006, 08:19 AM.

Comment

brenly was not a good manager in arizona. his world series win was due to riding two guys to the title.

In baseball, you absolutely cannot ride 2 guys to the title. A quarterback or a basketball player maybe, but not in baseball.

Comment

In baseball, you absolutely cannot ride 2 guys to the title. A quarterback or a basketball player maybe, but not in baseball.
                          would the diamondbacks have won without johnson or schilling?

Comment

Would they have won without Gonzalez and BAker controling alkl moves?
                            "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Who knows. If they had someone to call up like when they called up Brandon Webb, then yes. You know baseball isn't a individual sport or a dynamic duo sport.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X