Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this date in Cubs history...

December 3

2003: The Cubs signed LaTroy Hawkins as a free agent.

2002: The Cubs released Chris Stynes.

1991: The Cubs signed Mike Morgan as a free agent.

1971: The Brewers traded Jose Cardenal to the Cubs for Jim Colborn, Brock Davis, and Earl Stephenson.

1970: The Red Sox traded Carmen Fanzone to the Cubs for Phil Gagliano.

1962: The Braves traded Ken Aspromonte to the Cubs for Jim McKnight.

1952: The Cubs traded Dick Manville and $25,000 to the Pirates for Clyde McCullough.
    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

The Cubs non-tendered four pre-arbitration players last night. They are now free agents.

Zac Rosscup
      Gerardo Concepcion
      Conor Mullee
      Christian Villanueva

Comment

The Cubs tendered contracts to all four arbitration-eligible players.

Jake Arrieta
        Hector Rondon
        Pedro Strop
        Justin Grimm

Comment

Transaction

The Cubs sign LHP Brian Duensing as a free agent to a 1-year/$2 million deal.

Duensing made only 14 appearances last season due to injury and required surgery on his elbow to remove cartilage.

Comment

Jim Bowden of ESPN reported that there are six teams after free agent Kenley Jansen. They are the Nationals, Marlins, Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, and Cubs. Nobody can really say how aggressively the Cubs are looking at Jansen, but it looks most accurately as if the Cubs are just doing due diligence. But, as has been said before, the front office has said they aren't planning on making any big deals on a closer this offseason.

Comment

December 6
              2012: The Cubs drafted Hector Rondon from the Indians in the Rule 5 draft.

2007: The Blue Jays drafted Randy Wells in the Rule 5 draft.

1990: The Cubs signed George Bell as a free agent.

1973: The Cubs traded Randy Hundley to the Twins for George Mitterwald.

1959: The Cubs traded Bill Henry, Lou Jackson, and Lee Walls to the Redlegs for Frank Thomas.

1947: The Cubs signed Don Elston as an amateur free agent.

1939: The Cubs traded Dick Bartell to the Tigers for Billy Rogell in a trade of "worn-out shortstops‚" as one newspaper describes it.

1938: The Giants traded Dick Bartell, Hank Leiber, and Gus Mancuso to the Cubs for Frank Demaree, Billy Jurges, and Ken O'Dea.

1914: An indoor baseball game is played in Chicago, IL to raise money for the family of recently deceased Chicago Cubs third baseman Jim Doyle. Doyle was the Chicago Cubs regular third baseman in 1911 and hit .282. Tragically, he died early the next year at age 30 after appendicitis surgery.

Comment

Buster Olney of ESPN is reporting that the Cubs are closing in on a deal for Wade Davis.

Comment

Cubs post season shares= 368,871.59$
                  Clev. = 261,804.65

It's good work if you can get it....

Comment

The deal is official. Jorge Soler for Wade Davis.

Comment

To some degree, Davis is damaged goods and must have to pass a physical, right?
                      Check us out at http://baseballtalk.freeforums.org/i...50ac174cd8970f

Comment

Originally posted by Mudge View Post
                        To some degree, Davis is damaged goods and must have to pass a physical, right?
                        I read something about them examining his medical records before pulling the trigger. Davis was on the DL twice last year I believe but still put up some eye popping numbers after coming back. Unfortunately, Soler has battled the injury bug as well over the last couple years. So both guys have a questionable medical history. I'll have to check to see what is going on with the trade. I've been in bed with the flu all day and a lot can happen in one afternoon.

Comment

The Cubs are close to signing a one-year/$6 million deal with Koji Uehara.

Comment

December 9
                            2014: The Diamondbacks traded Miguel Montero to the Cubs for Jeferson Mejia and Zack Godley.

1998: The Cubs signed Benito Santiago as a free agent.

1997: The Cubs signed Jeff Blauser as a free agent.

1996: The Cubs signed Terry Mulholland as a free agent.

1992: The Cubs signed Randy Myers as a free agent.

1980: The Cardinals traded a PTBNL, Leon Durham, and Ken Reitz to the Cubs for Bruce Sutter. The Cardinals sent Ty Waller to the Cubs on 12/22/80 to complete the trade.

1955: The Cubs traded Don Elston and Randy Jackson to the Dodgers for Don Hoak, Russ Meyer, and Walt Moryn. Meyer has the best record in history against the Cubs, at one point going 22-1 against them.

Comment

I'm a Yankees fan and I'm curious about why the Cubs didn't try to keep Chapman. Was it strictly $$? Was it always intended that he would just be a hired gun for 2016?
                              Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                                I'm a Yankees fan and I'm curious about why the Cubs didn't try to keep Chapman. Was it strictly $$? Was it always intended that he would just be a hired gun for 2016?
                                I don't think they could. Even as soon as the trade was made most people believed Chapman would be going back to the Yankees this offseason. It probably would've taken a ridiculous contract to get him to stay. The Cubs aren't in the business of giving ridiculous contracts to relievers.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X