2016-17 Cubs Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016-17 Cubs Offseason Thread

I know I'm a little behind but like most Cubs fans I've been dwelling on a historic postseason. So to start the thread off I'll list the team's transactions since the end of the regular season.

October
    OF Ryan Kalish granted free agency

P Giovanni Soto selected by the Athletics off waivers

November
    Selected P Conor Mullee off waivers from the Yankees.

P Trevor Cahill granted free agency
    P Aroldis Chapman granted free agency
    OF Chris Coghlan granted free agency
    IF Munenori Kawasaki granted free agency
    C David Ross granted free agency
    P Joe Smith granted free agency
    P Travis Wood granted free agency

OF Dexter Fowler granted free agency

P Jason Hammel granted free agency

OF Lane Adams granted free agency
    P Scott Barnes granted free agency
    P Aaron Crow granted free agency
    C Tim Federowicz granted free agency
    P Stephen Fife granted free agency
    P Brian Matusz granted free agency
    OF Matt Murton granted free agency
    IF Kristopher Negron granted free agency
    OF Juan Perez granted free agency
    P Drew Rucinski granted free agency
    P Joe Thatcher granted free agency
    2B Logan Watkins granted free agency

Selected P David Rollins off waivers from the Mariners
    Last edited by Hammerin Hank; 11-22-2016, 07:49 PM. Reason: Typo
    2016 World Series Champions

The Cubs top 10 prospects for 2017, according to calltothepen.com (article) :

10. Thomas Hatch, RHP

9. Trevor Clifton, RHP

8. Duane Underwood, RHP

7. Eddy Martinez, OF

6. Oscar De La Cruz, RHP

5. Mark Zagunis, OF

4. Jeimer Candelario, 3B

3. Dylan Cease, RHP

2. Ian Happ, 2B

1. Eloy Jimenez, OF

Comment

Is the idea at this point to consider Almora, Jr. the everyday center fielder?
      Check us out at http://baseballtalk.freeforums.org/i...50ac174cd8970f

Comment

Ian Happ recently made a few headlines by homering twice in the AFL title game.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/209242...fl-title-game/

Happ went 4-for-4 with 3 runs and 3 RBI including homeruns from each side of the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudge View Post
          Is the idea at this point to consider Almora, Jr. the everyday center fielder?
          I don't see why not. Popular opinion seems to be that the Cubs should go after a free agent, perhaps even Fowler. I love Fowler as much as the next guy (he's going to be a Chicago legend for years to come) but they forget that's not how this team was built. Why throw away millions on something they can get from the farm system? The question is when will Almora Jr. be ready for a full time position. Looking at how much time he was given and how well he did in centerfield this year I think he is the team's first option at this point to take over the role. But that may depend on what happens in spring training. And Theo is full of surprises so who knows what he will do.

Steamer's projections for next season:

.269/.300/.397 and 84 wRC+ in 263 AB with 5 HR, 28 R, 31 RBI, and 5 SB

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...09&position=OF

That level of production will earn him a part time role but he will be 23 for the 2017 season so it would be a good step forward.
          Last edited by Hammerin Hank; 11-20-2016, 08:51 AM.

Comment

On this date in Cubs history...

November 20
            2006: The Cubs sign free agent Alfonso Soriano

2001: The Cubs sign free agent Joe Borowski

2000: The Athletics traded Matt Stairs to the Cubs for Eric Ireland

1996: The Blue Jays traded Miguel Cairo to the Cubs for Jason Stevenson

1989: The Cubs traded Mitch Webster to the Indians for Dave Clark

Comment

Peter Gammons wrote this yesterday regarding centerfield:

Even after winning the World Series, the Cubs are in a process of simultaneously winning and developing. With 22 year old Albert Almora replacing free agent Dexter Fowler in center field, they should have six everyday regulars under the age of 25;

They will need a lefthand-hitting outfielder who can protect Almora against tough righthanders, but right now they are unlikely to spend big in the free agent market, holding some savings for a run at Japanese star Shohei Otani next season and the megagroup of free agents the year after that.

Kyle Hendricks and Mike Montgomery are their only starting pitchers under 30, Jake Arrieta a free agent in two years, so they can use Jorge Soler and their stocked farm system for an outfielder, bullpen depth and young starters after going hard in the market the two previous off-seasons, resulting in a World Series championship.
              http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-ga...rning-to-2017/

Comment

The Cubs have been reportedly doing "background work" on Kenley Jansen but it doesn't appear to be a serious pursuit. It's unlikely they'd be willing to pay the type of deal that Jansen is expected to receive. Nonetheless, the Cubs want to be ready just in case the right deal happens to present itself.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/1...due-diligence/

Comment

November 21
                  2012: The Cubs release Bryan LaHair

2008: The Cubs sign free agent Jason Waddell

1990: The Cubs sign free agent Danny Jackson

1972: The Cubs traded Bill North to the Athletics for Bob Locker

1967: The Cubs traded Bob Raudman and cash to the Indians for Dick Radatz

1959: The Red Sox traded Dick Gernert to the Cubs for Dave Hillman and Jim Marshall

1946: The Cubs sign Jim Brosman as an amateur free agent

1934: The Cubs traded Bud Tinning, Dick Ward, and cash to the Cardinals for Tex Carleton

1933: The Cubs traded Harvey Hendrick, Ted Kleinhans, Mark Koenig and cash to the Phillies for Chuck Klein

------------------
                  The Chuck Klein trade is an interesting one because he led the league in almost every stat that year and was coming off a Triple Crown season. The only player to ever be traded after a Triple Crown season.

The Dick Gernert trade is another interesting trade as it is supposedly the first inter-league trade without waivers.
                  Last edited by Hammerin Hank; 11-21-2016, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Jed Hoyer hasn't counted out the possibility of signing Dexter Fowler as a free agent. Hoyer continues to talk to Fowler's agent and adds that he'd love to bring him back. It doesn't sound like Hoyer is very interested in doing much signing at all this offseason with this free agent class but he thinks it will be a good winter for trades.

Comment

November 22
                      2004: The Cubs sign free agent Glendon Rusch

1999: The Cubs sign free agent Todd Van Poppel

1954: The Cubs drafted Jim King from the Cardinals in the Rule 5 draft

1934: The Pirates traded Larry French and Freddie Lindstrom to the Cubs for Guy Bush, Babe Herman, and Jim Weaver

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank View Post
                        Jed Hoyer hasn't counted out the possibility of signing Dexter Fowler as a free agent. Hoyer continues to talk to Fowler's agent and adds that he'd love to bring him back. It doesn't sound like Hoyer is very interested in doing much signing at all this offseason with this free agent class but he thinks it will be a good winter for trades.
                        I think soler is going to be traded, especially if they bring back fowler.

heyward, schwarber, almora, fowler and part time OFers bryant and zobrist (if baez Plays more) means there isn't much room. soler wasn't terrible but he didn't fulfill the high hopes in him (he dominated the minors almost like schwarber and bryant) plus he is often injured. you would be selling low on him but if someone pays you a decent Price.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                          I think soler is going to be traded, especially if they bring back fowler.

heyward, schwarber, almora, fowler and part time OFers bryant and zobrist (if baez Plays more) means there isn't much room. soler wasn't terrible but he didn't fulfill the high hopes in him (he dominated the minors almost like schwarber and bryant) plus he is often injured. you would be selling low on him but if someone pays you a decent Price.
                          I think there's a good chance Soler is traded also. Baez earned second base. He's a phenom. So that leaves Zobrist in the outfield. Along with Schwarber, Heyward, and Almora Jr. already out there. Bryant should get to play the entire season at third though. As great a season he just had I think I would've been better if he were able to play mainly one position. Guys typically don't perform their best when they're out of position and moved around a bunch. I think he also would've been hitting behind Rizzo had Schwarber not gone down. But ifs and buts are candies and nuts.

Comment

Brittany and Jake Arrieta are celebrating their 8th wedding anniversary today. Congratulations to the Arrietas.

Comment

Transaction
                              November 22
                              P Dave Rollins selected by the Rangers off waivers

Rollins spent four days total as a member of the Cubs organization.
                              Last edited by Hammerin Hank; 11-22-2016, 07:52 PM. Reason: added hyperlink

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X