No announcement yet.

2017 Cubs Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs loss + Brewers win = 1 1/2 games back.

The latest winning streak is over at...1

​​"Rinse and repeat?". ​​​​​ I don't have to rinse. The Cubs make me so mad I could just...spit!!

Jim

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." Leo Durocher

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammerin Hank View Post

I feel like Russell has been hitting really well since his wife's friend slandered him as an abusive spouse. I'd have to look that up though.

Also, in my opinion, the NL east is the weakest division. Not that it matters much. They're both rather weak.
      Hey Hank

You're right about Russell. I took a quick look at some numbers and in the last 10 games he's put about 20 points on his BA. He's gone from about .215 to .235. As to whether or not he's been slandered, I prefer not to comment on that. And despite his obvious improvement I still maintain he is distracted and off his game. (Maybe I'm just stubborn.) BTW, post game reports today say he has a sore shoulder.

With regard to the weakest division, I'm sure the Seamheads in the Sabermetrics section could give us the correct answer. Washington is about 15 games over .500. The Braves, while under .500 have been playing better as of late. The Marlins and Mets are no real threat to anyone and of course there's the Phillies. I compared some numbers and the Cubs are 8 and 6 against the NL East. If they split with Washington I'll be happy.

​​​​Jim
      Last edited by Sunny Jim; 06-25-2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• What's your thoughts on 33 Butler ?

I like his mechanics and his non fear to use the entire ballpark to get an out . I like he throws first strike pitches and utilizes his catcher . He's a little bulldog but I think he is a good pitcher and getting better each outing

Comment

• Win one...loose one...win one...loose one...

The Cubs actually picked up 1/2 game over the last 2 days because of the schedule. Tonight the Brewers lost to the Reds so the Cubs are 1 back.

I didn't see much of Monday's game but I saw quite a bit of tonights game and my opinion is ugh! Seven stolen bases? I didn't think Jake looked good and there was no offense to speak of.

​​​​​​With regard to Eddie Butler my thoughts are pretty similar. He throws strikes and it seems to me like he keeps the hitters guessing and a bit off balance. That plus it seems like the hitters are behind in the count and I think that's why you see balls hit all over the field. His ERA is 3.71. He has 26 strike outs and 21 walks in 43.2 innings. His WHIP is 1.35.

Jim
          Last edited by Sunny Jim; 06-27-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Yeah seven stolen bases nite , tied an Expo/Nat record set by the Expos of course . So Montero threw Jake under the bus for the thefts but in all honesty I'd doubt he throws anyone one out even if Maddux in his prime was on the mound .

Each game I see Montero start I just sigh ...

Jake does look lost on the mound regardless.

Cubs looking for a split in the series tonite .
            Go Cubs

Comment

• As of today we won't be sighing any more. The Cubs released Montero.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny Jim View Post
                As of today we won't be sighing any more. The Cubs released Montero.

Jim
                It had to be done

Comment

• The Cubs are .500 again but only 1 game out of first. They are 5 and 5 in their last 10 while Milwaukee is 4 and 6. One more game with the Nationals this afternoon and then 3 in Cincinnati with the last place Reds.

As for Montero he was...in my opinion...marginally better offensively than Contreras but a liability behind the plate. His batting average was 32 points higher. His OBP was a little higher and his slugging a little lower. But given the comments, first by Rizzo and then by Theo his performance wasn't the whole story.

I'm a little weirded out by this White House trip. Some of the players didn't go and that struck me as kind of disrespectful.

​​​​​​​Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny Jim View Post
                    The Cubs are .500 again but only 1 game out of first. They are 5 and 5 in their last 10 while Milwaukee is 4 and 6. One more game with the Nationals this afternoon and then 3 in Cincinnati with the last place Reds.

As for Montero he was...in my opinion...marginally better offensively than Contreras but a liability behind the plate. His batting average was 32 points higher. His OBP was a little higher and his slugging a little lower. But given the comments, first by Rizzo and then by Theo his performance wasn't the whole story.
                    I liked the comment I heard by Rizzo - "We have another catcher; he throws people out."

I'm a little weirded out by this White House trip. Some of the players didn't go and that struck me as kind of disrespectful.​​​​​​​
                    The current occupant of the White House strikes me as kind of disrespectful (in my humble opinion, of course). Not a political comment, I mean as a human being in general.

They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Halfway home . . .40-41. When do we begin to worry..?? Gawd bless the abundant mediocrity in this division.

...tom...

Comment

• Originally posted by sleeper54 View Post
                        Halfway home . . .40-41. When do we begin to worry..?? Gawd bless the abundant mediocrity in this division.

...tom...
                        One game below .500 and 3 games back. There is a lot of baseball left to be played and plenty of time for the Defending World Champions to become the Repeating World Champions.

Jim

Comment

• Cubs try to right the ship in the Queen City today as they attempt to steal a game in this series from the mighty Reds

Oh brother , there ....I said it .

Go Cubs

Comment

• Wade Davis is the only Cub to make the All Star team.

Cubs trade Montero to Toronto for "player to be named later" and cash.

News reports say Schwarber will be back in a day or two.

Jim
                            Last edited by Sunny Jim; 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Biggest four games of the first half starting with the Brew Crew on Thursday afternoon . As bad as they have pitched , batted , been coached and played shoddy defense they amazingly have a chance to be atop the division by week's end

Go Cubs

Comment

• That was great how we tanked for the better part of a decade just to put two winning seasons together. I'm becoming rather bitter towards this club again.
                                2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X