• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Really ?
    Who coughs up an eight run lead.

WOEFUL
    ​​​​​​Blowing an 8 run lead to a team 4 games below .500. That's Cub!

OK it's a win. But once again the box score tells the story. It took 5 home runs and a DH to dispatch yet another sub par .500 team. That isn't going to happen very often. Babe Schwarber may have hit one but he wiffed twice. His Batting average is now all the way up to .179 and his OBP is not much better at .203. At least as DH he can't make any errors in the field.

Cubs pitching failed again. They blew an 8 run lead and should consider themselves lucky. They gave up 10 hits, 7 walks and 1 hit batsman. The Orioles left 10 men on base and were 3 for 11 with RISP.

And the reality...Milwaukee beat Philadelphia so the Cubs are still 5 1 /2 back.

As I said, it's a win but it' not a Championship Calibre win. It's just a step away from yet another Embarrassment.

Jim
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." Leo Durocher

Comment

• Two n a row and the Cubs are now .500. They gained a little ground in the Wild Cad race but not n the Division. They are 5 1/2 back in both. One more in Baltimore then on to Atlanta.

Jim

Comment

• The Phillies took one from the Brewers so the Cubs gained a game and are now 4 1/2 back.

Quintana looked sharp!

Babe Schwarber got an extra base hit, scored a run but struck out twice.

Keeping in mind that the Orioles suck...especially their pitching...and that the Braves have been hot...I'm reserving judgement until after the series. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jim

Comment

• Jon Lester stole a base. He's done it all as a Cub.
          2016 World Series Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammerin Hank View Post
            Jon Lester stole a base. He's done it all as a Cub.
            He has never hit a home run for them.

Pretty good win for the Cubs. The Pirates beat the Brewers, so the Cubs are now 3 1/2 back. I didn't look, but a press report I saw said they gained a game in the Wild Card standings as well.

Lester was pretty sharp. There was some drama in the 9th but they held on. Overall they gave up 3 runs on 6 hits with 3 walks. They allowed 3 stolen bases.

Babe Schwarber was hitless with 1 K.

They weren't great...3 for 12 with RISP and 9 left on but hey...3 in a row.

Jim

Comment

• Fun to watch winning competitive Cubs baseball !!

Brewers lost tonite as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny Jim View Post

He has never hit a home run for them.
                I was thinking he did, but that happened in Spring Training.

Comment

• You know what? I've said several times on this site before how head-first slides are retarded, so I won't even comment any more than that on Bryant's injury. Maybe someday players will learn how to play correctly.

Comment

• Rolling Cubs are rolling

They say , first time since 1935 that the team has won their first six games coming out of the All Star break

Nicely done

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Cat View Post
                      Rolling Cubs are rolling

They say , first time since 1935 that the team has won their first six games coming out of the All Star break

Nicely done
                      Sure is nice. Takes a huge weight off the shoulders. It was getting to be "now or never" time.

Comment

• "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."* -Yogi Berra

I thought before the All Star break the Cubs were beaten mentally.** They appear to have had a collective epiphany. Although the Seamheads in the Sabermetric section of the forum will dispute this, it appears there is something to crosstown broadcaster Hawk Harrelson's notion of " the will to win."

Good job Cubbies! Now, let's get on with the matters at hand and spank the friggin' Cardinals!

​​​​Jim

* I took that Yogism from Baseball Almanac. They have another one listed and sourced to Sports Illustrated. "Ninety percent of the game is half mental.". Not sure which is correct but you get the point.

** " In baseball you don't know nothing.". - Yogi Berra (again.)

Comment

• Hands up if you were surprised that Aireta got yanked from the game with 2 on and nobody out in the 6th with the Cubs leading 3 to 2

Comment

• This latter Saturday game at Wrigley between Lester and Wainwright has a late September feel to it

Ice Cube doing the 7th stretch

Comment

• Entertaining game today! Go cubbies!

Comment

• I hope even the Cardinals can appreciate the pitching clinic Jon Lester put on today!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X