2017 Cubs Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammerin Hank View Post
    I hope even the Cardinals can appreciate the pitching clinic Jon Lester put on today!
    Lester pitched 8 innings and gave up 3 hits.
    Wainwright pitched 7 2/3 and gave up 4 hits.

Lester struck out 10.
    Wainwright struck out 3.

Neither pitcher walked anyone but Lester hit 1 batter.

Both pitchers gave up 2 runs.

Lester gave up 2 Home Runs.
    Wainwright didn't give up any.

Lester was perfect through 5 and 2/3 before giving up a hit...to the opposing pitcher.

Both guys pitched well through 7 innings. But a baseball game is 9 innings and I hope even Lester can appreciate his teammates bailing him out after he threw 2...not 1...but 2...gopher balls (with 2 outs!) ending a scoreless tie and putting them down 2 runs!​​​​​​​​​

After an abysmal first half the Cubs are on a roll. They seem to have found themselves and are finding ways to win. That's what champions do. While we enjoy it let's keep our feet on the ground. Saying something because we want it to be true doesn't make it true. As the kids say...let's keep it real.

Jim

​​​​​
    Last edited by Sunny Jim; 07-23-2017, 03:22 AM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." Leo Durocher

Comment

• Yeah, you're right. That was only Lester's second best outing this season. By no means does he deserve any praise.

Dude, I get that you're disappointed by you're taking your Cubs bashing a little too far. His teammates didn't "bail him out." He's the one that kept them in the game through those 8 innings to begin with.

As long as we're embracing reality here, let's look for more reasons to praise Lester for his spectacular outing:

1. Lester now has more games with 10+ K's and 0 walks than any other Cubs lefty going back to 1913.

2. He wrote "PLACT" on his Cubs hat: "Play Like A Champion Today." It was a salute to his late uncle, who attended Notre Dame and died the previous day.

3. He posted the second highest game score yesterday out of 30 starting pitchers, behind only Danny Salazar.
      Last edited by Hammerin Hank; 07-23-2017, 06:54 AM.
      2016 World Series Champions

Comment

• I was just yelling at the tv for Bryant between 2nd and 3rd to keep on running past 3rd
        One of the best Cubs play in 2017 was that 1st to 3rd on a flare

Go Cubs

Comment

• The other Cheezeheads lose to today in Philadelphia. A chance tonight for the Cubs to tie for first with a bushel of games on hand

Comment

• Hank,

We just don't see things the same way. You think I'm bashing and I think you're hyperbolic. Probably somewhere in between lies the truth.

Jim
            "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." Leo Durocher

Comment

• And we get that win. We're tied for the division lead and 8 of 9 since the break.
              Go cubbies!

Comment

• Fit to be tied on 23 July

Go Cubs

Comment

• Well that was frustrating today . I hate Jason at the top of the lineup , in all the Madness of choice there this is the worst
                  Just didn't feel like the Cubs were interested today in winning with the exception of Jay and Contreras.

Sox are not that good and the Cubs tried to mail it in with a spotty lineup .

Comment

• ...... And the notoriously RISP came back to remind the Cubs who they really are in 2017

Comment

• Cubs are 60 and 60 on this date so this is the definitive match against the Sox on a Tuesday afternoon at Wrigley

Comment

• 1.5 Game lead going into Wisconsin
                        Exciting

The immediate turn around of the Cubs to me is the early inning blues seem to have disappeared. No longer are they chasing the game early and putting stress on them in all three facets .

​​Go Cubs
                        Beat up the Brewers

Comment

• I thought we'd be back in first about three weeks ago when we were discussing the sad state of this team back in May. But it looks like we'll finally be back there soon. The Brewers are a much better team this year. I think I had them for third place with 76 wins in our prediction thread in the current events forum. So far, they've outperformed that pace. But will they be able to keep it up until the playoffs?

No.

It's basically up to the Cubs to just not shoot themselves in the foot because the other three teams are living up to our expectations.

Comment

• Go to the brew crews home, take two of three. Nice way to spend a weekend.
                            Go cubbies!

Comment

• Cubs get Wilson and Avila from the Tigers for Candelario and Paredes. I'm very conservative when it comes to trading but I like this one. Candelario was eventually going to just waste away in the minors. Hopefully, he'll get plenty of playing time in Detroit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny Jim View Post

[Lester] has never hit a home run for them.
                                Objective completed.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X