No announcement yet.

2017 Cubs Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think his glaring weakness was highlighted for the whole world to see last November and opponents are exploiting the heck out of it.

My 7 year old son LOVES the guy. His personality and flashiness on the field are infectious for sure. Sometimes it's too much of a good thing though. I'm waiting for the day he costs them a game with his tendency to crowd other guys on fly balls. He almost caused Rizzo to lose one last October if I remember correctly. That being said, I really like watching him play aside from the bad K's.

Lots of talk on other forums over the winter about trading him for some pretty big names. I thought that was a little premature. He's got some growing to do. Great athlete though.

Comment

For the third game in a row, the Cubs win expectancy dropped below 10% and they managed to come from behind and win.

Make no mistake, this has to be the scariest team in the world to play against.
      2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Very impressed with Wade Davis. So far, he's much less stressful to watch than Chapman.

Great night. My boy and I watched it all. I keep telling him how lucky he is to grow up watching the Cubs win.

Comment

This is the first time the Cubs have won three consecutive games after trailing by three or more runs since July 24-26, 1929.

Comment

It's been fun to watch and has to be great for confidence in the long term, but I'd like to see some normal wins here soon.

Comment

Baez went 0-for-4 for 3 strikeouts today. He looks completely lost.

Meanwhile, Heyward looks like a brand new man.

Comment

Heyward continues to look good.

69 PA, .297/.348/.422

Comment

Happy for him. I get why he takes so much criticism, but I've never liked it.

Comment

Yikes. Five pitches that first inning that were in the strikezone got called balls. Wonder if that had anything to do with Arrieta allowing five runs. It probably didn't help.

Comment

We have pitchers who are better at hitting than Baez. I don't see why Maddon isn't giving him some time off to get it back together again. Maybe he was going to let him play through his slump (if you can call it that) but he's just getting worse.

Comment

Baez just took a four-pitch walk. Somebody call Ripley's!

Comment

According to everybody on Twitter tonight the strikezone has been an absolute joke in tonight's game. I didn't get to watch it because I don't have that channel and didn't feel like streaming it. I guess it's for the best. When an ump calls a horrible strikezone it's not good for my blood pressure.

Edit: Wow, if any of that pitch data from MLB Gameday and FanGraphs is even close to accurate then yeah, this one's been a real joke. So I just looked up the HP ump and now the world makes sense again. How Joe West continues to retain employment is one of the mysteries of life.

Comment

Bigger problems...

I did see that game the other night and yes, Joe West's ball and strike calling was..uh...well it was what it was. However, professionals make adjustments not excuses and the Cubs have much bigger problems than erratic umpires. They are floundering and completely out of sync.

1. Maddon believes his own press. He refuses to make the necessary adjustments preferring to go with his own unique brand of imbecility...uh I mean genius.

2. Schwarber is not a leadoff man and he is not a left fielder. He is a liability.

3. Rizzo....who I grant is a streaky hitter is in a big slump. Right now I don' t think he could hit his ass with either hand.

4. Last years MVP has a tummy ache and has missed 3 games.

5. Heyward and Russell are both injured.

6. Their pitching staff is...ineffective. (Let's just leave it there.)

7. Coming home to Wrigley should be a good thing but they are 7 and 9 at home this year.

The only pieces of good news I see:

1. They are in the NL Central.

2. 3/4's of the season remains to be played.

Jim
                            Last edited by Sunny Jim; 05-15-2017, 11:46 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar, and punctuation
                            "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." Leo Durocher

Comment

W

First game of a 10 game home stand goes into the win column.

There was some good and some not so good. The Cubs bats came alive with 4 HRs. Schwarber and Rizzo both hit HRs. Bryant and Russell were back in the lineup. Contreras picked of one runner and threw out another. They left 7 men on and gave up 5 runs on 10 hits including 3 HRs to the Reds. Baez remained clueless.

They are now .500...as are the Reds and tied for 3rd place with the Reds.

On to game 2.

Jim
                              Last edited by Sunny Jim; 05-17-2017, 01:59 AM.
                              "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." Leo Durocher

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Jim View Post
                                I did see that game the other night and yes, Joe West's ball and strike calling was..uh...well it was what it was. However, professionals make adjustments not excuses and the Cubs have much bigger problems than erratic umpires. They are floundering and completely out of sync.

1. Maddon believes his own press. He refuses to make the necessary adjustments preferring to go with his own unique brand of imbecility...uh I mean genius.

2. Schwarber is not a leadoff man and he is not a left fielder. He is a liability.

3. Rizzo....who I grant is a streaky hitter is in a big slump. Right now I don' t think he could hit his ass with either hand.

4. Last years MVP has a tummy ache and has missed 3 games.

5. Heyward and Russell are both injured.

6. Their pitching staff is...ineffective. (Let's just leave it there.)

7. Coming home to Wrigley should be a good thing but they are 7 and 9 at home this year.

The only pieces of good news I see:

1. They are in the NL Central.

2. 3/4's of the season remains to be played.

Jim
                                I think Maddon is a good manager but sometimes he tries to be too smart and "unique ". I would drop schwarber in the lineup, at 6 or so he could swing with less pressure.
                                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X