No announcement yet.

2017 Cubs Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When we last left our hapless heroes they had won 3 straight and were a game out of first. Now after losing 4 in a row they're 2 games back. I'm beginning to think .500 could win this lame division. ..but I'm beginning to wonder if the Cubs can play .500!

Jim
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." Leo Durocher

Comment

• Ughhhh
      As in ugly. They are really being exposed in the Rockies series there is not a doubt of that.

Nice to be back as well !

Comment

• Nice to have the W back flying in the yard

Comment

• [QUOTE=The Big Cat;n3428078]...They are really being exposed in the Rockies series there is not a doubt of that.

As a Cubs fan and who has been very critical of the current regime (making me an unpopular contrarian with many) I think you put that extremely well.

Now...numbers:

The Cubs are .500 and one game out of first. They are 6 and 4 in the last 10. The Brewers are 5 and 5.

Now it's on to New York where the Mets are 5 games below .500 and 5 and 5 in their last 10. The Brewers and Cardinals (3 and 7 in their last 10) face each other in a 4 game series. This is a great opportunity for the Cubs to make a run at first place. At the very least they can pick up a few games and put some distance between themselves and the divisional challengers.

Jim

Last edited by Sunny Jim; 06-12-2017, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• I can understand how one can be chastised for criticism at the Cubs management after being delivered the highest honour in their sport just last year so the idea that you can be critical of such recent play is blasphemous in many Cubs eyes is a truism. But not mine as I don't like complacency as such.

I think if management stepped up and said they traded Russell for a starter for instance , those same fans would nod their heads in agreement all stating it had to be done.

Yeah should be an interesting week in the standings . I expect big things on this road trip to New York and Pittsburgh , 6 and 1 would be nice .

Comment

• The Big Cat and Sunny Jim....2 Cardinal legends posting in the Cubs thread. Anyone else see the irony there?

OK...so the Mets slapped the Cubs down in game 1. The Brewers got spanked...and I mean spanked...by Arizona ​​​so the Cubs didn't loose any ground...except to the Cardinals who won...but are still in 3rd place 1 game behind the ​​C​​​​​​​​​​​​​ubs.

Hard to believe the Cubs are 1 game below .500 and only 1.5 back but it's true. It is clear that they have real problems. So I think the time is now for them to take Joe Maddon's advice to heart and realize that if they're going to have a shot at a repeat they really need to "try not to suck!"

Jim
              Last edited by Sunny Jim; 06-12-2017, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• Last year the Cubs won the World Series in in spite of not because of Joe Maddon. As I said in my previous post this year Cubs have real problems and the root cause of those problems is the aforementioned Maddon.

Tonights line up in New York:

Rizzo 1B Another power hitter thrust into a role he isn't suited for
                Happ 2B. Not the worst choice
                Bryant 3B. Should have been hitting in this spot all year
                Heyward RF WTF
                Russell SS. OMG this just keeps getting worse!
                Scharwber LF. Why is this guy still in the major leagues?
                Contreras C. The Cubs need offense! Why isn't Montero playing?
                Lester P. This stupid tactic doesn't work!
                Almora Jr CF. Ditto Contreas vs Montero but with Jay

But hey what do I know? I'm just a fan. And Joe? He's the smartest man in baseball! He singlehandedly piloted the Cubs to their first World Championship in 108 years. pfffffbbbbbttttt!

Hey what the heck...the Mets are a sub par team playing less than .500 baseball so why not? If he wins (not the Cubs...he) then there'll be Kool Aid on the house for everyone!

Jim

Comment

• I stand corrected. Joe's a genius!

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunny Jim View Post
                    I stand corrected. Joe's a genius!

Jim
                    Nice recovery SJ

It was nice to turn away from a Cubs game for once knowing that they were doing the slaughtering and not the being the slaughtered.

For the record , The Big Cat is in reference to Andres Gallaraga from the Expos days and not the hypothesized Cardinal reference.

Go Cubs

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Cat View Post

For the record , The Big Cat is in reference to Andres Gallaraga from the Expos days and not the hypothesized Cardinal reference.
                      Damn! I was wrong twice! And in the same thread!

Our heroes are now .500 and 1 game back. One more game with the Mets and then off to Pittsburgh. Brewers and Cards again tonight.

Jim

Comment

• I wish to correct my prediction on the current road as I thought it was a 7 game trip but mercifully it's only 6
                        So 1 and 2 currently I would surmise a 2-4 scenario is most likely headed our way .

Oh let the Cubs catch lightning in a bottle and sweep the Pirates to return home 4 and 2 .
                        Last edited by The Big Cat; 06-16-2017, 09:04 AM. Reason: Because I can't read the schedule

Comment

• Lo and behold , they brought lightning last evening in the 9th
                          That was fun being a Cub fan last evening

Comment

• Again, it would be nice if they could score early instead of trailing for most of the game and having to come from behind late. But I'll take a win any way we can get it.
                            2016 World Series Champions

Comment

• Same old last nite for the Cubs in the city of coal last evening wasn't it ?

Allow early runs
                              Scrap back
                              Bullpen weakens
                              Spotty defensive plays
                              RISP woefulness

Cubs in 2017
                              Song is getting old

Comment

• 3 and 3 in the road trip

Their first non losing road trip since April

Worth repeating

Their first not losing road trip since April