Dusty has to go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusty has to go

I have been a Cub fan since 1941. Seen a lot of managers. Dusty is the worst. His complacent attitude is inexcusable.

Maybe make a switch with SF for Alou?

Comment

Originally posted by jack daniels
      I have been a Cub fan since 1941. Seen a lot of managers. Dusty is the worst. His complacent attitude is inexcusable.
      having winning seasons 2 of 4 seasons.. is FAR from worse....

We seem to live in a "what have you done for me lately" kind of world....

And because of that, people say he is "the worse"

But there are little facts to back that up...

With that said... does he need to go?

YES... without a doubt, with the team playing poorly as they are... something needs to happen. As they say, "shake things up" a bit.

Step one, find another manager and see what they can do.
      BELIEVE

Comment

having winning seasons 2 of 4 seasons.. is FAR from worse....
        Depends how you look at it. I cant remember a Cubs coach who's done so little with so much. Most of all '03 and '04. People point to those years as testament to Dusty's potential but what is the reality? 2003 was 88 regular season wins and '04 was 89.....wow! '03 was one of the great meltdowns in modern history. And the end of '04, when they whined themselves out of the wild card, was right up there. To make it even worse both teams were very talented.

And it was always Bartman, grabbing the wrong bat, injuries, Steve Stone, Corey, and "just wait until Wood and Prior come back".

I dont doubt that Hendry is a big factor in their disgusting play but the simple fact is Dusty Baker has presided over one of the most embarrassing stories in modern sports. The Cubs are a laughingstock! As an organization they are the biggest joke in MLB.
        "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut
          The Cubs are a laughingstock! As an organization they are the biggest joke in MLB.
          Easy for a white sox to claim this as if it is a fact... But the FACT is that is your opinion. IT is my opinion that they are WITHOUT doubt in the lower half when it comes to best organizations. But Pirates, Devil Rays, Marlins and Royals would be on that list as well... but as I said, it is easier for a whitesox fan, and scorn ex-cubs fan to claim the cubs are the punchline of MLB.

And all this talent that we are forever talking about?!?! Where is it? Really??? To me there is a difference in potential talent, and flat out MLB caliber talent...

And I am not so sure we have that MLB caliber talent... Everyone is quick to say Derrek Lee?!?! What about Derrek??? or Aramis??? what about Aramis???

Well if that is true, would that make the Pirates and Marlins a bigger joke? since we got both of them for NOTHING?!?

Oh also, I want to say it again...

I am not saying Dusty should be our future... that would be insane... but if the outcome is not what we wanted/expected we need to move on, no reason to say he is the worse... because he isn't at the end of the day I don't want to hear about the talent that is on the field, I want to hear did you win? or lose?

and we don't win often enough... plain and simple.

Thanks dusty... for '03

And best of luck where ever you go...
          Last edited by RBi; 06-24-2006, 08:19 AM.
          BELIEVE

Comment

But the FACT is that is your opinion. IT is my opinion that they are WITHOUT doubt in the lower half when it comes to best organizations. But Pirates, Devil Rays, Marlins and Royals would be on that list as well... but as I said, it is easier for a whitesox fan, and scorn ex-cubs fan to claim the cubs are the punchline of MLB.
            The difference is, of course, payroll. When you spend so much, when you charge the fans so much, when you fill the park so much, and you still find a way to consistently underperform? Then you have become a laughingstock. And your right. The Pirates are a joke. I'm not sure I'd call the Marlins a joke since they are playing good baseball. KC is a joke, no doubt about it.

But the Cubs are the biggest joke. And Dusty is the biggest joker. The Marlins have a team payroll under 15 m., Tampa 35 1/2 m, the Pirates 46 1/2 m, KC 47 m............the Cubs? 94 1/2 m., 10 m more in team spent dollars then the Sox. Who are only spending 84 m out of pocket.

The only other team in the top-10 who's becoming a punchline too is the Braves. Everyone else in the top-10 of payrolls is .500 or better. Im sorry, I try to find good things to say about them and try not to run them down all the time. But they suck! And the entire management team is responsible. Ive been thru this kinda thing with both teams. For years the Sox "sucked" as well.
            "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Calling the braves a joke is funny to me....

They are playing bad ball no doubt, but I am not going to "join the bandwagon" and just because they are not playing good ball call them a joke..

But that is one of the many differences between you and I. I dont jump ship because things are bad... (you in November of 1984)

Were the White Sox 'a joke' before 2005?

How about the White Sox manager???

what level of "is a joke" does he fall under? or is he just class-less?
              BELIEVE

Comment

Also, if I had time.. which I might take time very soon, I would like to work up a spreadsheet with the payroll of the top 10 teams... and show how much of that payroll was wasted on players on the DL... I would be willing to bet the Cubs would fall on the list that would show that a lot of money was spent on players not able to perform to help the team win...

that is why I say you can not use payroll to moan and groan at a manager... Is it Dusty's fault that Lee got hurt? Nomar? Prior's elbow? Priors off season shoulder? Wood's... countless issues? how about Aramis? is it Dusty's fault that all that money was spent over the last 3 years... and each player spent alot of time (months in most cases) on the DL?

no... it is not..

So don't give me the "he had more talent, because the team was on the top 10 in payroll" Bologna...

Now, with that said, we replaced the trainer...

Pitcher issues... we need a new Pitching coach... plain and simple..

Manager? yes.. a new manager would help shake things up...

I am not campaigning for Dusty to keep his job... I am just saying... don't make it sound like Dusty was given a healthy all-star team... because he wasn't.
                BELIEVE

Comment

Calling the braves a joke is funny to me....
                  Much funnier to you then their fans I bet. The Braves are 31-43.

They are playing bad ball no doubt, but I am not going to "join the bandwagon" and just because they are not playing good ball call them a joke..
                  My Buddies who are Cub fans are calling them much worse things then I am.

But that is one of the many differences between you and I. I dont jump ship because things are bad... (you in November of 1984)
                  Actually it was more like 1985. But, Im probably older then you and have felt more pain with the Cubs.

Were the White Sox 'a joke' before 2005?

How about the White Sox manager???

what level of "is a joke" does he fall under? or is he just class-less?
                  Often a joke. In fact Chicago sports teams have been a joke more often then not. Its the reason I still laugh hysterically for no reason on occasion.

Ozzie should shutup and manage. He's making a "joke" out of himself and he outa save the "no eeenglise" exuse for congressional testimony. Its hard to figure what level of joke he falls under. The whole entire silly incident has to finish evolving.h

Comment

Much funnier to you then their fans I bet. The Braves are 31-43.
                    You missed my point totally... why can't a team just have a bad season? to me a "joke" using your reasons, would be because of a long string of bad things...

I would give the braves a free pass when it comes to having a rocky year... I think they earned that with what like 13 or 14 straight division titles...

My Buddies who are Cub fans are calling them much worse things then I am.
                    I am sure this is true... But there are different styles of fans... And I have never really been one to be the hateful negative type...
                    Actually it was more like 1985. But, I'm probably older then you and have felt more pain with the Cubs.
                    I just remember you saying before "after the 1984 season..." and yes, you are older than me. I was only turning 6 in November of '84
                    Often a joke. In fact Chicago sports teams have been a joke more often then not. Its the reason I still laugh hysterically for no reason on occasion.

Ozzie should shutup and manage. He's making a "joke" out of himself and he outa save the "no eeenglise" exuse for congressional testimony. Its hard to figure what level of joke he falls under. The whole entire silly incident has to finish evolving.h
                    I agree with you on this more than I ever agreed with you on anything before... Nicely put...

I really think the main thing that keeps Ozzie safe is his ring... "thats the way it goes" i assume... but sometimes there is more important things in the game... and the image of a person or organization to me is one of those things..

Sometimes less is more, and in his case it seems the more he talks... the more trouble he seems to be getting himself into.
                    BELIEVE

Comment

i just think firing dusty is the cheap easy way out that in the end wont solve anything.

better players/pitchers may help more.

Comment

Will keeping Dusty solve anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                          Will keeping Dusty solve anything?
                          no. but firing him in the middle of the season isnt going to do anything either. dont give him an extension, fine. I can live with that. but canning him right now is useless.

I'd be more inclined to jettison coaches, since they share culpability.

Comment

Again though is keeping him in the season useful?

Is he playing the players you want? Using the players in a way you want? Keeping the fans happy? If he isn't moving the team forward or making managerial decisions that will better inform the club in future moves then he is useless and should be replaced with somebody who is clear about his duties the rest of the way. Right now Dusty is basically auditioning for a new job somewhere. Does that mean he is going to make decisions that are in the best interest of the Cubs future or is he going to make moves that are an attempt to make him look good or to minimize his risk of looking bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                              Again though is keeping him in the season useful?

Is he playing the players you want? Using the players in a way you want? Keeping the fans happy? If he isn't moving the team forward or making managerial decisions that will better inform the club in future moves then he is useless and should be replaced with somebody who is clear about his duties the rest of the way. Right now Dusty is basically auditioning for a new job somewhere. Does that mean he is going to make decisions that are in the best interest of the Cubs future or is he going to make moves that are an attempt to make him look good or to minimize his risk of looking bad?
                              yes hes playing the players i want. Keeping the fans happy isnt Hendry's job. The only way that happens is if he resigns, dusty gets canned AND mcphail gets canned.

He actually does use the bullpen as well as any other manager out there. At least this year he has. Of course, he actually has a pretty good bullpen, so that mya help.

The players I want playing a majority of the time:

D. Lee now that hes back, Aramis, Cedeno, Jones, barrett, and perhaps Walker. No one else I really care to see everyday.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X