Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too painful to watch

Let me start off by saying this:

I ve never been a big fan of forums where people just unload on "their" or other teams, but I believe I ve seen enough. I first came to the US at the age of 16 as an International Exchange student and lived in Chicago.....ever since I loved the Cubs. I cant even recall how many times I went to Wrigley Field to watch them play.....Back then we accepted the cubbies as the lovable losers........most of us were content going to "the worlds biggest bar(Wrigley)" having beers and watching a ballgame, regardless of its outcome. But all this is a thing of the past which all started with the aquisition of players such as wood and prior.

All of a sudden, loosing was not much of an option anymore, yet, with the exception of 2003.....wait I take that back.....2003 wasnt really impressive either......

Us Cubs fans have a huge problem, however:

We are so used to them losing, that, while we have greater expectations, at the end of the day we rather feel sorry for them instead of being really upset. No other team in the majors consistently underperforms the way the cubs do..........and it stinks......more importantly, it hurts

I have enjoyed meeting so many Cubs fans at the ball games and we all feel the same........I remember Harry Caray being so drunk that he dropped his mike while "trying" to sing "take me out to the ballgame"........the problem is: I cant recall the last time they PLAYED well........the only things I remember are the ones that take place off the field...........harry carry or that [explicit] who decided to catch that ball in 2003......or trivias as to how many innings will prior pitch this year?5,12, or 16 if he is healthy :-)

However........

I am sick and tired of them losing.....with that type of team???there shouldnt be a chance in hell......letting nomar go was pathetic......his upside is well known......
    We as Cubs fans might also start facing the probability that woods and prior, while outstanding when healthy, are more prone to injuries than a blind kid participating in a formula 1 race.........
    Dusty Baker.....now thats just.......I dont even know how to put it:
    He overstayed his welcome, plain and simple.....his stoic behavior and unwillingness to change are not helping the team whatsoever.....he has to leave, and he has to leave VERY soon

As for the fans(yes, us):

we arguably have the bast fan base in all of sports......Its my understanding that wrigley is already sold out to some 90-95% throughout the entire season despite the fact that we loose over and over and over again......
    While that in itself might be a really good thing, it doesnt give the trib ANY reason whatsoever to make changes in the way they run the club since, and yes I AM one of those, we keep showing up regardless.........hell they could put a single A team on the field(and from the looks of it, we are not far from it really) and we would STILL show up

I apologize if I may have bored some of you, but I know, if you are a Cubs fan, you feel the same way......most of us would kill for them.....even now....but this season is simply too painful to watch.....even for fans like us
    Last edited by RBi; 06-28-2006, 09:54 PM. Reason: foul language

that (forgot his name) who decided to catch that ball in 2003......
    His name was Steve Bartman and by all accounts a good guy whos also a lifelong Cubs fan. Anyone who would blame him for the Cubs blowing it is delusional.
    Last edited by RBi; 06-29-2006, 05:01 AM.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut
      His name was Steve Bartman and by all accounts a good guy whos also a lifelong Cubs fan. Anyone who would blame him for the Cubs blowing it is delusional.
      Just so you know I edited the post made here about the WhiteSox fans...

So I had to edit your reply too..

Sorry for the rude comment... TOTALLY uncalled for...
      BELIEVE

Comment

Steve Bartman is not to blame. Catching the foul ball didn't cost the Cubs any runs. It was just simply a foul ball. Yes, it's one that could have been caught, but, in the end, it was just a foul ball. If you want to blame anyone, blame Alex Gonzalez. He's the one that booted the double play ball that would've gotten the Cubs out of the inning.

Comment

first of all, I would like to apologize for the remarks I made about the White Sox. While, genereally speaking, I highly dislike them, it is fair to say that I used the wrong selection of words to express my anger towards them lol

I never BLAMED bartman, I merely used it as an example to vividly show how unremarkable the cubs performance is on the field seeing that we dont ever remember anything great that they do. Sometimes it pays to pay a little closer attention to the actual lines that are being written here.....that goes for both otis and whitesoxnut

And while I admit that it was the cubs inability to turn plays as opposed to bartman's inteference with the game, the question remains lingering as to why a lifelong cubs fan would behave in a way that, at the very least, puts the cubs in a, by all accounts, not favorable position.

Comment

Originally posted by kanga669
            And while I admit that it was the cubs inability to turn plays as opposed to bartman's inteference with the game, the question remains lingering as to why a lifelong cubs fan would behave in a way that, at the very least, puts the cubs in a, by all accounts, not favorable position.
            i don't think it would have really mattered.

1. if Alou catches the ball, there's still only two outs and Gonzalez still boots the ball allowing Lee to bat.

2. Gonzalez didn't have to move to even field that ball, he simply looked at second base before the ball was anywhere close to his glove.

3. Lee had two GREAT at bats where he hit the ball hard right at someone in each one. Prior had lost his stuff by the time Lee came up that inning and hit the bases clearing double.
            RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
            Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
            Infamous butcher,
            Angel of Death

Comment

I never BLAMED bartman, I merely used it as an example to vividly show how unremarkable the cubs performance is on the field seeing that we dont ever remember anything great that they do. Sometimes it pays to pay a little closer attention to the actual lines that are being written here.....that goes for both otis and whitesoxnut
              You called him a very derogatory name, but Im glad you didnt "blame him" This in between cussing and wishing a baseball team of human beings crash and die in an airplane accident.

The only one who should be "paying closer attention to the actual lines being written here" is you.
              "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

i am not even gonna go there anymore.....I apologized for the choice of words that I used to describe what I think about the White Sox. If thats not good enough for you and you are, for some reason strangely affected and hurt by it, then I,well, just dont care.

and one last time for the cheap seats:

I DID NOT BLAME HIM I RATHER USED HIM AS AN EXAMPLE TO POINT OUT HOW LITTLE THERE IS TO REMEMBER WHEN IT COMES TO ON FIELD ACTION!!!!!!!

surely there has got to be people here that are capable of reading AND understanding the context in which those words appear.

Comment

The Cubs face another sweep. Watching them play today was depressing. Watching Dusty manage was pathetic. The entire team is in a funk. This is the worst basball team in the major leagues and not likely to get better. Everyone said, "wait until they are at full strength". Well, here they are and they still lose. What is going to make them better. Woods, not likely. Prior, guess again. They need to fire Dusty and bring in a manager to light a fire under their rear ends. Everyone should write the Tribune and stop buying their paper.

Comment

my thoughts exactly, Jack Daniels :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jack daniels
                      This is the worst basball team in the major leagues and not likely to get better.
                      the Royals and their "All-Star" might have a point of contention there

Everyone said, "wait until they are at full strength". Well, here they are and they still lose. What is going to make them better. Woods, not likely. Prior, guess again.
                      while they would help, it doesn't solve the problem of Todd Walker being the most disciplined hitter in the lineup outside of Derek Lee who hasn't played enough to matter.
                      RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
                      Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
                      Infamous butcher,
                      Angel of Death

Comment

Originally posted by jack daniels
                        They need to fire Dusty and bring in a manager to light a fire under their rear ends.
                        Firing Dusty does absolutely nothing to change the course of where this team is headed. No manager available is going to cause the team to play .750 in the second half of their season. If Dusty is fired halfway through, the Cubs are not likely to bring in an outsider, I'd look for Mike Quade (Iowa's manager) or perhaps Rothschild or Pole to finish out the season.
                        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                        Line Drive: .356
                        HBP: .342
                        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                        Intentional Walk: .176
                        Outfield Fly: .035
                        Groundball: -.101
                        Bunts: -.103
                        Infield Fly: -.243
                        Strikeout: -.287
                        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Remember what a fresh manager did for the Marlins a few years ago when Trader Jack McKeon came in. It gave them new life, but I don't know if it was @ a .75% clip, I doubt it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X