No announcement yet.

Reds Radio History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a cassette of the Reds on Radio History and I enjoy listening to the segment on Hoyt. Also he is on the DVD of the 1961 World Series doing a promo for Burger Beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
      Every now and then the public TV stations around here (Dayton has two, and I also can get WCET out of Cincinnati) will run a show on Hoyt. I've only caught some of it, but it was very interesting. I like what I heard of his broadcasting.
      I have seen this show on PBS before. My dad and i watched about 4-6 episodes. A lot of the show was him talking about his days with the Yankees and Babe Ruth. However, he did talk a little about his days in Cincy.

My dad listened to him and he wa definately a positive and upbeat guy, a homer for the Reds. Loved baseball and you could tell it.

G Man

Comment

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
        There is a cassette of the Reds on Radio History and I enjoy listening to the segment on Hoyt. Also he is on the DVD of the 1961 World Series doing a promo for Burger Beer.
        Are those just snippets? The last broadcast of Hoyt has survived and with the exception of the 61 World Series I don't think there are any other games with him as the announcer available.

Comment

I would love to have a game cassette or CD with him doing the play by play. I never heard him live but I have heard his voice on the 1961 World Series DVD and he sounded great!

Comment

1975 CINCINNATI REDS WLW broadcasters cover of CINCINNATI POST TV PLUS guide by CINCINNATI TV & RADIO HISTORY, on Flickr

Comment

Does anyone have any feel for whether Harry Hartman and Sidney Ten-Eyck worked the games together, or whether they switched off with each other inning by inning?

Comment

He was the Reds' announcer when I was a kid. Rain delays meant that we were treated to stories about baseball from the twenties and thirties. He was a teammate of Babe Ruth. He said Ruth could never remember his name and called him Walter. I have a record album of his rain delay stories. It's very good. For a guy who was, I guess, a high school graduate he was very articulate in speech and the words he chose. As I remember it the Reds' radio network changed beer sponsors circa 1965. Hoyt had broadcast for Burger Beer, felt loyalty to them, and resigned when Wiedemann Beer replaced Burger Beer as sponsor. I do have this memory of Waite. By 1964 he seemed to sometimes be 'out of it.' He would makes mistakes calling the game. Mistakes like misidentifying who was at bat or who made the play in the field. The man had drinking problems back in the 40s and once 'disappeared' for a few days because of his drinking. He was also a pretty good artist. I will always remember him describing outfielders making the catch on Crosley Field's unique terrace. He was a Cincy institution.

Comment

On ebay a few years ago I got about a half-dozen reel-to-reel tapes of baseball broadcasts. One is Marty and Joe calling a game from St. Louis in 1977. Boy, talk about memories. It's like the Big Red Machine is still playing.

Comment

Crosley Fielder, you are one lucky guy to get your hands on some of those. I try to nab as many as I can find but living in North Carolina, I am at a disadvantage!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X