X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chadwick
    replied
    Originally posted by Sabo-metrics View Post
    The Reds handling of Chapman was atrocious. The fastest- throwing pitcher in league history, and we ship him out like a washed up journeyman.
    Only to have his new team trade him six months later for the top prospect in baseball.

Leave a comment:

• Sabo-metrics
    replied
    Pittsburgh is not on the right track in my opinion. They are a prime example of one foot in, one foot out. A couple years ago, their window was still open and they traded away their closer Melancon at the deadline. It took the heart out of their team, knowing that the front office did not think they could win that year.

2 years later, their window is closed and their best players are gone. Also, they shipped out McCutchen when he would have taken team-friendly deals the rest of his life and been a model citizen. His play was declining, but some of that could have been due to the CONSTANT trade rumors for the last 2-3 seasons.

The Reds handling of Chapman was atrocious. The fastest- throwing pitcher in league history, and we ship him out like a washed up journeyman.

To me, the league is such a pendulum league where everyone slowly follows the leader, until a new leader emerges & switches directions before the pack. Everyone wants to be the Cubs and Astros, but with about 10 different teams tanking last year, they can't all get the top pick.

I think the middle ground is becoming more enticing. Sign a couple mid-range FA's. Hang around all year, keep the fans engaged, you'll probably make the playoffs since 1/4 the league isn't trying. Then once you're in, you never know when you might win the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    The whole rebuild has been botched from the beginning. Jocketty had never had to rebuild before while in St. Louis and Castellini (to my understanding) was opposed to it. It's one thing for the casual fan to expect a team to continue being competitive year-after-year in spite of age/contract realities. It's quite another for the front office to be fooled into thinking that.

The Chapman trade is an excellent example. There was an opportunity several years ago to make a Phillips-for-Gordon/Ethier trade. The Frazier trade was a cluster, too. The team consistently TRIED to trade players (if at all) too late and then asked for the moon when they did, settling for quantity over quality on the trades they did make. Mistakes all.

Players like Adam Duvall make nice complimentary pieces, but as the nucleus of a rebuilding job? You're not doing it right, guys.

It's frustrating because it seems that this front office is bound and determined to go into Rebuild v. 2.0 now, maybe 3.0, etc. because they didn't take the plunge when they could have sold high on their assets.

In the meantime, not only are the Cardinals and Cubs run by some of the best management in the game, the Pirates and Brewers are on the right track, too. Cincinnati has - by a wide margin - the worst front office in the division and there is no hope of that changing for years now.

The "reload, not rebuild" philosophy might work when you have Yankee-like revenues to patch the holes, but for the Reds it was organizational suicide.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    the worst was that they traded chapman for nothing. sure chapmans value was down due to the domestic violence incident but they probably should have waited half a season the dust might have settled and they would have gotten real prospects. getting a gleyber torres type of top 30 prospect would have made a big difference in the rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    started a topic Reds Offseason Rumors

Reds Offseason Rumors

So far I've seen reports that the Twins are interested in trading for Rasiel Iglesias and that the Giants are willing to give us something of value for Billy Hamilton. My question is what the heck are the Reds waiting for?

And then I remind myself that this is the same front office who toyed with giving Cozart a three-year extension and let him walk for nothing rather than trading him last summer. The Reds have really bumbled through the last decade and I'd dearly love to see them put someone in charge who doesn't waste more precious years testing the patience of us longsuffering fans.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X