Dick Williams' Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Williams' Replacement

The Reds need a new head of Baseball Operations now that Dick Williams has resigned. Let's break this down into two questions.

1. Who do you expect the Reds to hire as his replacement?

2. Who would you like to see hired?
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

My opinions:

1. This has been Walt Jocketty's team almost from the day Bob Castellini bought the team and I have a difficult time imagining Castelllini hiring the "right" guy for the job so long as Jocketty is Castellini's primary baseball advisor. That means they're most likely to promote from within - Nick Krall perhaps - or hiring some "name" guy from around the league who shares Jocketty's old school approach to things. Keep in mind that this is the same organization who has hired failures like Kevin Towers and Cam Bonifay as advisors and key front office personnel in the past so those are the kind of like-minded lemmings Jocketty will be looking for, even if fewer of them can find work outside the Reds these days. Bob Nightengale's recent list of 10-12 potential names mostly had one thing in common - a Cincinnati connection - and that's exactly the wrong approach to take, but it may also carry some weight with this ownership group, who has leaned that way before.

2. They ought to find someone with a track record of success in another organization that has been successful and give that person a budget and free reign to rebuild baseball ops inside/out. Castellini just needs to give the POBO an annual budget and be patient enough (for once) to let the guy do what needs to be done. Most organizations in the game have picked up on this by now and if they aren't one of the leading front offices in the game, they're wise enough to pilfer talent from those front offices. Castellini's ownership rivals the Marlins as arguably the worst in the league (now that the Wilpons are saying goodbye). Personally, I would love for us to coax a #2 from the Dodgers, Rays, Indians, Cardinals, A's, Cubs, etc. and convince them to take the job. I just don't see it as likely, however. Heck, Jeff Luhnow's suspension would be up in two more weeks. That won't happen because of Jocketty's personal animosity towards the guy on top of their different philosophical approaches to team building. Shame. The Reds would be much better off with Luhnow than with another Jocketty flunkie.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

I suppose I should be grateful that we didn't hire the recently fired ex-Marlins POBO Mike Hill, but true to form, Castellini didn't even interview anyone from outside the organization.

GM Nick Krall has been promoted to fill his former boss' shoes. Krall and Williams have both worked for Castellini/Jocketty for 15 years. Like Williams was an incremental improvement over Jocketty, Krall is an incremental improvement over Williams, but the Reds don't need "continuity" (as Castellini seems to think), bur rather a sea change in organizational philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
        My opinions:

1. This has been Walt Jocketty's team almost from the day Bob Castellini bought the team and I have a difficult time imagining Castelllini hiring the "right" guy for the job so long as Jocketty is Castellini's primary baseball advisor. That means they're most likely to promote from within - Nick Krall perhaps - or hiring some "name" guy from around the league who shares Jocketty's old school approach to things. Keep in mind that this is the same organization who has hired failures like Kevin Towers and Cam Bonifay as advisors and key front office personnel in the past so those are the kind of like-minded lemmings Jocketty will be looking for, even if fewer of them can find work outside the Reds these days. Bob Nightengale's recent list of 10-12 potential names mostly had one thing in common - a Cincinnati connection - and that's exactly the wrong approach to take, but it may also carry some weight with this ownership group, who has leaned that way before.

2. They ought to find someone with a track record of success in another organization that has been successful and give that person a budget and free reign to rebuild baseball ops inside/out. Castellini just needs to give the POBO an annual budget and be patient enough (for once) to let the guy do what needs to be done. Most organizations in the game have picked up on this by now and if they aren't one of the leading front offices in the game, they're wise enough to pilfer talent from those front offices. Castellini's ownership rivals the Marlins as arguably the worst in the league (now that the Wilpons are saying goodbye). Personally, I would love for us to coax a #2 from the Dodgers, Rays, Indians, Cardinals, A's, Cubs, etc. and convince them to take the job. I just don't see it as likely, however. Heck, Jeff Luhnow's suspension would be up in two more weeks. That won't happen because of Jocketty's personal animosity towards the guy on top of their different philosophical approaches to team building. Shame. The Reds would be much better off with Luhnow than with another Jocketty flunkie.
        I think it will be a failure ..... Nick Kral

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X